The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX 50R or 50S

rollsman44

I have seen the reviews on both cameras but have not used the 50R I did have the 50S and sold it. Portraits and Group shots are my main things I do. Some landscapes. I use On camera flash and OCF as well. Also, I had the GF 63 lens but not the 32-64 Zoom. My concern is weight. I mainly shoot Hand held and try to keep the weight down as much as possible. I know the R weighs less than the S but the Zoom is on the heavy side and not sure if I can do Hand held and still get sharp images. Thank you

Knorp

If weight is a concern, I'd say it's a very personal preference and therefore choice which of the combos suits you best.
Nobody except you can tell if it works for you or not. Just saying.

On a personal note: after one or two hours with my 50S plus 32-64 I do start noticing the early signs of fatigue ... :eek:

YMMV ... :lecture:

Paratom

I had a 50s for a week and handled a 50r. If I had to choose I would prefer the 50s. I think it fits better in the hand and is somewhat easier to hold. cant you take both in the hands before making a decision?

rollsman44

I have to travel 3 hours to NYC to be able to physically hold them. I know it would benefit me to do that before purchasing. Thank you for your response.

Jeroen

The 'S' has the advantage of the tilting viewfinder adapter and the vertical grip. But if you always shoot handheld and you want to minimise weight, then you won't be using either of these accessories, so I'd say the 'R' is the better, lighter choice.

The 32-64 is my least favourite lens. It is razor sharp, but produces lifeless images compared to all other lenses I have (45, 63, 110, 250, I use most lenses fully open or closed 1 stop). On my gfx50s it also feels out of balance whereas the 110 does not (and the 110 is heavier I think). So on a lighter 'R' with less grip it probably feels even more out of place.

Ask yourself: are you really going to shoot wider than 45 for portraits and group shots? If not, buy a 45 and a 63, it will be a lot lighter for handheld shots (off topic, but you should also get the 110, it's the most gorgeous lens I've owned in all 30+ years of photography).

If NYC is too far, why not rent first? I will cost you a few $$$ but will save you much more than buying the wrong gear again and then selling it here at a loss.

rollsman44

I feel the GFX 50S is not much heavier than 50R and the grip on the S will help balance the Zoom somewhat better. Plus I like the viewfinder in th middle and not the end. So, the 50S will be my choice. Thank you everyone foe your feedback

algrove

As with everything it's a very personal choice. Personally I like using my right eye to view the EVF and having my left eye also see the scene off to the left of the camera (like any rangefinder camera) plus the fact that my nose is not continually touching the LCD all the time. I own every lens they make for the GFX system.

I got the 50R and even with the 32-64 or 100-200 on the 50R I walked for many hours (with a peak design strap) and never tired. The modest grip never bothered me even though many "internet reviewers" commented negatively on the grip. Any personal views on the grip are highly dependent on your hand size and real world use. I am over 70 years old with about size 7-8 gloves.

For very wide shots the 23 is a stellar lens on a stellar system.

Even though I own all the lenses made for this system, for travel I can take just 3 lenses--the 23, 32-64 and 100-200.