The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD: Mamiya 55mm AF Exc+++

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here is a near-mint Mamiya 55mm f2.8 AF lens. This one is a really sharp copy, but I just don't use it very often any more. Includes original box and paperwork, hood and front and rear lens caps.

Asking $400 OBO

Dale Allyn

Re: FS: Mamiya 55mm AF Exc+++

I'm surprised to see you sell this one, Jack. The 55mm is a nice lens (as you know). I hadn't used mine much previously, but found I used it the most on my recent trip to the southern Oregon coast (though I used the 35 and 45 too some too).

Good luck with your sale.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Hi dale,

Yes it is an awesome lens and I should probably just keep it -- and will if it doesn't sell.

Cheers,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Well, somebody dug this post out of the dust, so sale pending!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Congrats bud, I'm thinking of selling mine and the 35mm as well and take a shot at the new 45mm. With the new crop it makes sense now along with the 28mm

Dale Allyn

Guy,

I'd get the new 45mm and test it before letting go of a good 35mm and 55mm. If you can't find a good 45mm, then you'll be out looking for another good 35mm, though the 55mm should be easy to find in that they seem to be most frequently very good. There seems to be more variation in the 35's.

Just my 2¢.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Congrats bud, I'm thinking of selling mine and the 35mm as well and take a shot at the new 45mm. With the new crop it makes sense now along with the 28mm
Thanks Bud, but:

Guy,

I'd get the new 45mm and test it before letting go of a good 35mm and 55mm. If you can't find a good 45mm, then you'll be out looking for another good 35mm, though the 55mm should be easy to find in that they seem to be most frequently very good. There seems to be more variation in the 35's.

Just my 2¢.
IMO those are wise words and worth far more than their stated value!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Guy,

Just my 2¢.
I agree . I just happen to have two stellar lens copies in the 35 and 55. Hate to give that up with the old reports on the new 45mm. Than get burned, I'm hoping they went back and made the proper adjustments to them. I may have to ask CI and Phase for a favor to make sure I get a good one.

Henry Goh

I was going to buy a 45mm from an online guy in Taiwan. Hearing about those inconsistent quality issues, I'm kind of concerned because they won't accept returns. May I ask what are the usual issues?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Lens is SOLD.

Henry, the issue with the Mamiya 45 is many of them have terrible corners that never get even close to sharp regardless of aperture. HOWEVER, the center is very good, probably even better than the 55, so if one is using a crop sensor back like the P30+, the bad area is probably outside the sensor capture anyway making it a viable proposition.

Henry Goh

Oh ... Thanks Jack. On my P30+ that would make it safer bet I guess. BTW Jack, the 12-24mm Sigma of mine is not the latest version. Sorry.

gsking

I was going to buy a 45mm from an online guy in Taiwan. Hearing about those inconsistent quality issues, I'm kind of concerned because they won't accept returns. May I ask what are the usual issues?
Anybody else notice the rattling that seems to be common on many of these lenses? One I bought was actually a little louder than normal, and turned out it had a SCREW bouncing around inside!

Greg