The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS Black Paint Leica IIIF+Elmar 50/3.5+Leicavit

wjlapier

Well, I am open to offers... :)

Alan
I'm gonna have to think about this--but for the benefit of others and myself, how about more info on working condition. CLA, lens condition, curtains, shutter speeds, rfer alignment and contrast, picture of the bottom, how much use since paint job--are there any chips in the paint...the usual stuff ;)

apsheng

Sorry, I thought you would be able to access the eBay description through the link. But I forgot that it has not started, so you can't see it. I'd rather not go to eBay. Just had a couple of non-paying bidders recently. BTW my eBay ID is "colorflow". Below is the description and a photo of the bottom of the leicavit:

This is a rare and beautiful set that was painted by Shintaro San of Japan about nine years ago. It was a set that I used regularly up to that point. It was CLA'd after the paint job and has been used for less than ten rolls of film since. However, I regularly "excercise" the shutter to ensure there is no sluggishness. The camera body is the most desirable "red dial" with self-timer. The lens is the matching "red dial" Elmar 50mm/f3.5. The lens is clear with no fungus or cleaning marks. Focusing and aperture setting operate smoothly. All functions of the camera, lens, and Leicavit operate as they should. The paint and lettering are most expertly done and of the highest quality as evident in the photos. However, there are a few small nicks and indentations that were supposed to be repaired before painting but weren't. But they are all covered by the paint and not readily visible in the photos. These include three pin size indentations and a small nick at the bottom of the Leicavit and a tiny nick on the top plate. These really do not detract from the beauty of this set at all.

This is a rare opportunity to acquire a vintage Leica with a beautiful paint job of the highest quality at a highly discounted price from replacement cost. The paint job alone cost me over $1000 almost 10 years ago (no kidding). Finally I am also including the Leica UV filter of the same vintage for this lens (shown in the first photo). The leather strap is not included.​

Hope this helps,
Alan

Riccis

Quick question since I don't know anything about painted cameras... As the paint wears out, those it show the brass as regular black paint models or do you see the original chrome/nickel...

Is it still available?

Cheers,

apsheng

I'm gonna have to think about this--but for the benefit of others and myself, how about more info on working condition. CLA, lens condition, curtains, shutter speeds, rfer alignment and contrast, picture of the bottom, how much use since paint job--are there any chips in the paint...the usual stuff ;)
Some more info:

Everyting works and in excellent condition, curtains, speed, rf alignment, brightness/contrast. Camera CLA'd in 2000 or 2001.
No problem with lens. Takes great pix. One of my all-time favorite photo of my family was taken with this setup.
Paint is like new. Only brass showing is on the knurl ring at the front of the lens visible in one of the photos. Probably from the slip on filter.

Here's how I figured the pricing based on eBay and my own recent experience (sold another 3F+Elmar not long ago):

Camera and lens $650
Leicavit $550
Black paint $500 (cost me $1100+)

Alan

apsheng

Quick question since I don't know anything about painted cameras... As the paint wears out, those it show the brass as regular black paint models or do you see the original chrome/nickel...

Is it still available?

Cheers,
It was chrome originally. Shintaro stripped the chrome and painted. So it would brass. See the front shot for a little brassing on the front knurl ring of the lens.

Yes its available.

Thanks for the interest,
Alan