The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fraud Activity on BUY SELL Forum: Lawson30 + Watson90 !BEWARE!

RLB

Its come to my attention that there are some "lurkers" who are preying on WTB adds in this forum.

They search the forum for WTB post, then open an account, and claim they know of someone who has the item you are looking for and provide and email address to contact "them".

NOTE: These users typically are brand new to the forum and have zero other post (warning sign #1).

For grins I decided to email the person (likely themselves) at the email address the provided. They claimed to have the item I wanted to purchase, but only provide
"stock" images of it (warning sign #2). My response was this: Please respond with a photo of the item next to its OEM box (which they also claimed to have) and a post it with
today date on it.

PS: Game Over.

These are the users who appear to be fraudulent: "Lawson38" and "Watson90"

Be cautious when buying anything via the web.

Robert B

tylerallenmohr

I have been contacted by multiple users (Lawson38, Reecard) with replies to separate WTB posts of mine. Both with similar messages like:

"Please contact [name] in [city], He/She has [item for sale] which you are looking for. Their email is [[email protected]]..."​

The true intentions of the people behind these profiles is unknown to me, but these interactions seemed highly suspicious. The user profiles in question had/have almost zero posts or history.

nhn

I have been contacted by multiple users (Lawson38, Reecard) with replies to separate WTB posts of mine. Both with similar messages like:

"Please contact [name] in [city], He/She has [item for sale] which you are looking for. Their email is [[email protected]]..."​

The true intentions of the people behind these profiles is unknown to me, but these interactions seemed highly suspicious. The user profiles in question had/have almost zero posts or history.
I just received one from Reecard as well. Thanks for the head up.

Gbealnz

Me too, Reecard in my instance, and while I like to see the better in people, joining yesterday and trying to help me out today, with a third party involved, well it didn't look right.

The annoying thing though is that I have done similar to this in the past, seen someone looking for an item, and played "match-maker".

Gary

Reecards message:

This is the message that was sent:
Matthew in Texas has a Hasselblad X1D battery that he wants to part out for a cheaper price but because i'm not in the state right now, i couldn't purchase it from him maybe you should contact it and see if he still have it for sale.Here's his email [email protected]

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ditto - reecard - needs nuking.

Alpa APO Helivetar in my case - obviously didn’t read the thread as I’m not the one looking.