The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Possible scam

Red735i

I have had two situations about my WTB ad. Someone presumably on this list tells me he knows of a seller who has what I want. He refers me to a person not on the llist, and gives me their email address. I write the owner and eventually make an offer. At that point I ask how I should pay, and offer PayPal. They say they have no PayPal account. They ask to be paid by money order or by a Canadian payment system that seems to ne similar to PayPal.
At this point I get suspicious and have called the deal off.
In the sense that when it smells like a con, it probably is.
Be aware.
I may be wrong about the 2 sellers I was dealing with or not. But I would not take the risk.
Be careful out there.

a5m

Thanks for the heads up. This seems to be a common scam lately. You may have already done so but I would report the users to a moderator.

drevil

Staff member
also got a pm from this account, asking if i was still interested in an item, iq180 contax back, total scam, be aware

Red735i

Happened again..... Same M.O.

Not taking any of the bait this time.....

I really wish the moderator would remove the perpetrators.... at least from this neighborhood..... If he wants names, I will supply them.....

Happened again..... Same M.O.

Not taking any of the bait this time.....

I really wish the moderator would remove the perpetrators.... at least from this neighborhood..... If he wants names, I will supply them.....
Why don't you just out them here so no one else falls for the scam? "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Send Bob or Jack a copy of the message via PM, and be sure to include the user name of the offender. Saying "this guy" are "three different scammers" does nothing to help us -- we cannot view your PM's.