The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Will HK trade collapse?

braver

Now that HK is stripped of its preferred status for US trade, will the vibrant economy of camera merchants based there suffer, potentially even collapse? It's probably not a good time to buy from HK anymore, given the customs uncertainty, right?

alajuela

Now that HK is stripped of its preferred status for US trade, will the vibrant economy of camera merchants based there suffer, potentially even collapse? It's probably not a good time to buy from HK anymore, given the customs uncertainty, right?
I don't know the last time you were in HK, but the camera trade doesn't really exist outside of Tin Chueng, apart from Tin Chueng it really went downhill from 2010 - to almost nothing by 2014 Even Nathan street and the used camera shops have turned into Jewelry and watch stores. rents are just too high, and very few Western travelers now, as HK doesn't really have the uniqueness for trade it once had.

Shanghai is much better - especially for selection and price of used equipment. and if you can order from B&H or Adorama you are assured of getting the best price and "real" items.

Sorry to say.

Last edited:

Mexecutioner

I was there last year and as alajuela pointed out there’s really no appeal for camera deals over there, you’re better off buying online, seriously.

braver

I was there last year and as alajuela pointed out there’s really no appeal for camera deals over there, you’re better off buying online, seriously.
What I mean is the HK online trade. I bought a few things from there over the years and it was smooth, banking, shipping, no hurdles at the customs. I wonder how all that is going to change...

Mexecutioner

What I mean is the HK online trade. I bought a few things from there over the years and it was smooth, banking, shipping, no hurdles at the customs. I wonder how all that is going to change...
I recently bought a Markins accessory from a store in HK (https://www.howenint.com/) that I could not find anywhere else and received it without any issues, and they even used standard mail. It took a while but got here to California no problem. Cost of goods was $300 or so.

I imagine you'd have no issues if you buy online. If concerned try them using a courier instead (UPS, Fedex, DHL) as tracking regular mail from Hong Kong has been discontinued by USPS, so if you like to see shipping progress that won't work.

buggz

I am STILL awaiting an eBay order from Apr 13, 2020 - DF/DF+ LI-Ion battery.
Estimated delivery Tue, May 05 - Tue, Jun 23

I don't think I will ever receive it...

Mexecutioner

I am STILL awaiting an eBay order from Apr 13, 2020 - DF/DF+ LI-Ion battery.
Estimated delivery Tue, May 05 - Tue, Jun 23

I don't think I will ever receive it...
I've been surprised in the past receiving stuff that I had even forgotten about and took months. Good thing is that of you don't get it by the 23rd you can easily get your money back through eBay / PayPal

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I've been surprised in the past receiving stuff that I had even forgotten about and took months. Good thing is that of you don't get it by the 23rd you can easily get your money back through eBay / PayPal
I have had great results buying from HK (as recently as Mar2020) not because the prices were so great ..but because they had product that was unavailable in the USA .

However the change in trading status for HK ..causes me concern about possible tie ups in customs . Past history can t tell us much about how that will effect HK trade . I am currently considering a HK purchase at a too high price ..just to get what I want . I might have to just risk a delay in shipment.

bab

UPS is not as trouble free with US customs as FEDex!
Honk Kong post is a very good service.

Many dealers sell used camera gear to Hong Kong dealers. (A huge market)
Hong Kong camera stores that sell new equipment are feed by local distributors they have huge inventories, that if not in store they will bring to the store in 30 min.

I have shopped for cameras and lenses in Hong Kong since 1978 only to be amazed at the amount of new product in any given store.
In fact in one mall you have a Leica store and two camera stores whom also carry a full line of Leica within 100’ of each other incredible inventory.

Tariffs, local duties and taxes may be an issue in the future time will tell.

But when you go in a camera store there and see new product stacked to the ceiling by brand you know they are in it to do business on the spot.

darr

I purchased a viewfinder from a Hong Kong dealer via eBay on 05/28/2020.
Received today, 06/09/2020 via FedEx. Paid $37 US for shipping.