The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Hasselblad 500 C/M CM body and 80mm CF T* lens

nameBrandon

Looking for a Hasselblad 500 C/M CM body to use with CFVII 50c. Clean condition. Would love a recent CLA to ensure focusing screen / glass is well aligned. Should be 100% working.

Not interested in the "C" version.

Also looking for an 80mm CF lens. Not looking for C unless it's C T*. Need to make sure shutter and aperture work well at every value and shutter release is functional.

darr

... Would love a recent CLA to ensure focusing screen / glass is well aligned. Should be 100% working.
Your repair person would need the digital back and the camera together for calibration. You will find the focal plane is extremely tight with digital backs mated with old cameras, best to rely on live view or if landscape shooting, hyperfocal focusing can work. Test your lenses with whatever technique you decide to go with prior to traveling, etc.

For what it’s worth, the 501CM is newer but requires a shutter release cable on locked for live view use. I have had many V bodies and choose to shoot with a 501CM. I want the newest, cleanest gear possible, and my 501CM + CFV50c is a joy to use. :)

Best to you,
Darr

nameBrandon

Thank you, Darr! Always appreciate learning more and the expertise others are willing to share! Will do some reading on the 501C.

Your repair person would need the digital back and the camera together for calibration. You will find the focal plane is extremely tight with digital backs mated with old cameras, best to rely on live view or if landscape shooting, hyperfocal focusing can work. Test your lenses with whatever technique you decide to go with prior to traveling, etc.

For what it’s worth, the 501CM is newer but requires a shutter release cable on locked for live view use. I have had many V bodies and choose to shoot with a 501CM. I want the newest, cleanest gear possible, and my 501CM + CFV50c is a joy to use. :)

Best to you,
Darr

darr

Thank you, Darr! Always appreciate learning more and the expertise others are willing to share! Will do some reading on the 501C.

The 501C and the 501CM are different models. The difference according to my seventh edition Hasselblad Manual is: "the 501CM has the gliding mirror system (GMS), which allows the entire image on the focusing screen with all lenses and accessories." Earlier models do not have this option.

I personally do not find the GMS to be a deal breaker, but again, I always try to get the latest model of a mechanical camera if I can.

Godfrey

I have 500CM bodies, and they've not been specially calibrated; one of them needs a service for sure. But what I find is that if I use the focusing chimney magnifier, I can nail critical focus consistently with the CFVII 50c. The standard waist level finder's magnifier is not accurately focused enough (without a correction lens) for my vision; I work around that by stopping down two stops when I'm carrying the kit on a walk and not using a tripod.

Using the CFVII 50c back's Live View is the easiest way to get critical focus for sure. That mode kinda turns the 500CM into a large and bulky lens adapter tube, however. That's one of the reasons I went for the XV Adapter and just mount my V system lenses on the 907x with it. :)

G

nameBrandon

I have 500CM bodies, and they've not been specially calibrated; one of them needs a service for sure. But what I find is that if I use the focusing chimney magnifier, I can nail critical focus consistently with the CFVII 50c. The standard waist level finder's magnifier is not accurately focused enough (without a correction lens) for my vision; I work around that by stopping down two stops when I'm carrying the kit on a walk and not using a tripod.

Using the CFVII 50c back's Live View is the easiest way to get critical focus for sure. That mode kinda turns the 500CM into a large and bulky lens adapter tube, however. That's one of the reasons I went for the XV Adapter and just mount my V system lenses on the 907x with it. :)

G
Nice, thanks for the info! Yes, I've got the XV adapter for my X1D, and plan on experimenting with it as well on the CFVII 50c. It does feel a bit like taking photos with a bazooka at times though. :)

There are times I definitely want critical focus, but there also times where I want the enjoyment of the physical process of using a 500 series body and tack-sharp focus is a secondary concern. :thumbup:

Godfrey

Nice, thanks for the info! Yes, I've got the XV adapter for my X1D, and plan on experimenting with it as well on the CFVII 50c. It does feel a bit like taking photos with a bazooka at times though. :)

There are times I definitely want critical focus, but there also times where I want the enjoyment of the physical process of using a 500 series body and tack-sharp focus is a secondary concern. :thumbup:
Doing macro work with the Planar 80mm on the 907x definitely has that bazooka feel ...

907x + XV Adapter + 21mm and 55mm extension tube + Planar 80 T*

:)

G

Oh yeah: I bought a very nice condition, 1979 500CM black body with finder and screen from a Japanese seller on Ebay in February for about $650. I've posted several photos made with the 500CM/CFVII 50c body: they're lumped into my 907x photo album on Flickr if you'd like to poke through them. The individual photos have 'tech info' that list the 500CM as the taking camera. - G

nameBrandon

Doing macro work with the Planar 80mm on the 907x definitely has that bazooka feel ...

907x + XV Adapter + 21mm and 55mm extension tube + Planar 80 T*

:)

G
That is fantastic! I did find the 500CM on eBay last night (a nice black one to match the CFV II 50c SE body). The Cambo Actus I am using for macro work with the 4/120 wasn't quite getting as close as I had hoped, so that is very helpful to see.

Now to up my bazooka game and find me some extension tubes. Once more unto the eBay..

Godfrey

That is fantastic! I did find the 500CM on eBay last night (a nice black one to match the CFV II 50c SE body). The Cambo Actus I am using for macro work with the 4/120 wasn't quite getting as close as I had hoped, so that is very helpful to see.

Now to up my bazooka game and find me some extension tubes. Once more unto the eBay..
Add two more 32mm tubes to the above and I get about 1.3:1 with the Makro 120mm, and about 1.87:1 with the 80mm. That's a huge amount of extension (140mm) ... light getting to the sensor is dim so very long exposures and a small amount of corner clipping (vignetting) happen. The lenses perform beautifully, and the huge dynamic range of the CFVII 50c sensor nets some really nice imaging.

G