The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IC: Hy6 54LV kit

Stuart Richardson

Hey guys. I think it is probably not a great time to be doing so, but I am considering selling my Hy6 54LV kit. I am looking to get a new car (after 7 years, 3 states, 2 oceans and 2 countries with the current one), and the MFD kit could go a long way towards easing that pain. I don't want to get rid of it, because I know I have sunk a lot of money in it, but frankly all the jobs I am getting of late are more geared towards the D3, and I have not used the kit as much as I thought I would. My loss is your gain etc.

I am located in Iceland, but I am an American and have both US and Icelandic bank accounts. I am traveling to the states on May 2nd for a week, and I will be in the NYC area. Serious buyers could take delivery of the gear then, or I could ship it from the US. This is an ideal situation. For European buyers, I can ship it from Iceland, though we are not EU, so I am not sure how much that may help. I am pretty well known here I think, but I also have 100% positive ebay feedback under the name vladsirin.

Anyway, I bought this kit in August 2008. The camera was brand new and the back was used very few times by another buyer. I bought the kit from Jack Strobel at Calumet, and I still have everything it came with. I just bought the camera and the back at that time. I had previously had an 80mm AF lens which I use with it. I compared my lens to the AFD lens on a 75LV and there was 0 difference at all, except that the AF lens I have has an aperture ring so you can use it on the older cameras. The back adapter is the standard non-rotating version (which is about 2000 dollars more, but you can buy it if you like...). I use the waist-level finder.

If I do sell the camera, I will also be selling all the lenses and accessories. I will throw in an older V system adapter to whomever buys the camera and back. In addition to that, I have the following lenses and accessories:
40mm Super Angulon
60mm Curtagon (in the US...I have not seen or used it yet!)
80mm Xenotar AF
110mm f/2 Planar
150mm Tele-Xenar
180mm f/2.8 Tele-Xenar AF (not AFD).
1.4x AF Apogon TC
4560 645 Film Back and Hy6 adapter (not cheap, believe me!)

In addition, I would also be selling my 6008AF, which would have the charger, film back, 645 magazine, wlf, long cable relase (30feet?), and a user prism finder (can be converted to the Hy6 if you like).

All these things are in good shape and functioning perfectly. I will answer questions about specific items as they come.

I am thinking 12,000 for the Hy6, 54LV and 80mm AF. I paid 15,000 for the camera and back alone a few months ago (and I got a great deal), so I think 12,000 for the camera, lens and back is a pretty good deal. Whomever buys it will have first crack at anything else they might like, and the more they buy, the more I will discount it. I am willing to split paypal fees, but buyer pays shipping. I am happy to meet with anyone in the tri-state area in person provided you can meet between May 2nd and May 10th. Buyers in Reykjavik preferred, especially if they are willing to trade it for a nicely used Land Rover Freedlander 2...heh.

If there is not interest in the Hy6 and back, I will be keeping everything.

Here are a bunch of pictures:

The back has three minor areas of covering loss -- there is a rubberized coating on the back that comes off if it comes into contact with something hard-ish. I believe these came from it being in a billingham, zippering it up, and then having a tripod resting on top. Suffice to say it is cosmetic only...I have never banged the back into anything and it is otherwise perfect.

fotografz

Really tempting kit Stuart.

If it's any consolation, I did a similar thing ... I stopped the camera gear purchases and used the money to buy my Volvo XC90 outright. First vehicle I've actually owned since I was a kid. Haven't had to sell off anything ... yet. But like you, the work I'm getting lately is well covered by the D3 and Sony A900.

Best of luck on your sale. That is a really nice system you have there.

eccwong

Very nice set up and very tempting. I have the 6008AF with 5 MF lenses, have been looking to find a affortable way to go digital. Too bad it is out of my range at this moment and poor economy is keeping me from major purchases. :(

Stuart Richardson

Heh...I still have plenty of medium format film gear...I will probably come back to mfd when business picks up a bit and when (if) they can replace the kind of stuff I do with the D3...

Rethmeier

Good luck with the sale Stuart,
I did a similar thing when I "downgraded" to the D3x.
Not the best time to sell though.
I would suggest eBay with BuyitNow.
I just sold a mates H1 kit with 4 lenses that way.
Best,
Willem.

Paratom

Yes,
I am biased because I use the same kit and the more I use the Hy6 the more I really enjoy the concept and user interface of the Hy6. The viewfinder, the speed (I dont feel any shutter lag), the posibility to use a rotating back, the info on the grip display, the lenses,...
Dont sell it!
Regards, Tom

Stuart Richardson

Yes, Carsten, the huge one is the 180! It is built like a coffee can. Nice lens though. Hi Tom, I don't really want to sell it, but it makes sense to me at this point. The camera I use primarily for work is the D3, and I am just getting ready to buy a car, so having more than 10,000 dollars tied up in a camera system that does not make me any money is just not a good decision for me right now.

Stuart Richardson

Ok, I have changed my mind -- I am going to keep the camera system, but sell the back only. Given the prices these days, I don't think it is worth it to sell the system. I would be better off keeping it and using it for film, and possibly later getting a back if necessary.

So, the 54LV is for sale. 7000 USD for the back, the Hy6 adapter and the older V system adapter. I am open to offers for it without any adapters, or with only one of the adapters.

Last edited: