The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Canon lenses

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I know it's a long shot but I'm not in any hurry so figured I'd at least ask for a week or so here before buying new. Willing to pay 20% off B&H new for confirmed sharp copies of the following lenses in good shape:

1) Canon 35/1.4 L

2) Canon 50/1.2 L

3) Canon 85/1.8

4) Canon 100/2.0

5) Canon-mount Sigma 50/1.4 new version

6) Canon-mount Sigma 12-24 new version

Thanks for looking, please PM me if you have anything,

Jack

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Re: WTB: Canon and possibly Sigma lenses

Put me down for the same list too :)

LJL

Well, I have two from that list (85/1.8 and Sigma 12-24, but the older version), and though they do not get as much use as they should, I am too reluctant to jettison them yet. The Sigma 12-24 is a performer where few others can go, though it does like f8 and up for best looks. The 85/1.8 may be the closest to an "L" lens from Canon, and for the price it is easily the best bang for the buck. There will be some CA to contend with wide open, but easily corrected. I would love the 85/1.2L II instead, but it needs to pay its way first ;-) In the meantime, the 70-200/2.8L IS covers the 85mm length quite well at f2.8, but then, that is not f1.8 or f1.2, and sometimes the stops matter.

LJ

P.S. One that I am thinking about swapping out is a Sigma Canon mount 120-300 f2.8. That lens, though heavy is essentially a stellar 300/2.8 with a whole zoom down to 120mm as a bonus. With the 12-24, the 120-300/2.8 and the 150/2.8 macro are among Sigma's best in unique length and excellent performance.

Last edited:

Henry Goh

I have a Sigma 12-24mm which I bought new less than 12 months ago but how do I tell if it is a new version or an old one? I used it once or twice only because I bought a Canon 14mm L II a few weeks after and like that lens more.

ReeRay

I love my 12-24mm - converts any old truck into a Limo :ROTFL:

Paratom

The Sigma 50/1.4 is a very good choice. I carry it with my Nikon an like it a lot so far.

Francois_A

Jacks, you would not be disappointed with the 90mm tilt-shift; it is very sharp and the tilt and shift are very useful. It might replace the 100 f/2, if you don't mind manual focussing.

Somewhat of an acquired taste, and not for everyone, but I just love my Canon 15mm fisheye! ;)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

:D
I don't need the 35 1.4L anymore
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Jacks, you would not be disappointed with the 90mm tilt-shift; it is very sharp and the tilt and shift are very useful. It might replace the 100 f/2, if you don't mind manual focussing.

Somewhat of an acquired taste, and not for everyone, but I just love my Canon 15mm fisheye! ;)
Agreed, but I already have the 90 TSE :D

dseelig

No one still wants my 24 f1.4 damm. Jack I must say I never liked the 100 canon f2 . I have always had the 85 f 1.2 and it has made me more money then any lens except my 400 f 2.8.
For those of you who have used it how does the 50 sigma compare to the canon 50 1.4 and the 50 f1.2? David

Ben Rubinstein

You ain't having my beautiful and very battered 85 1.8, bought it 2nd hand and sent twice to canon before I was satisfied but it's my wedding money making lens. If a wedding was just portraits and captured moments (i.e. not documentary coverage) I'd never need another lens. Stupidly sharp from wide open (though a lot of CA @ f1.8) to closed way down. I also have a great 100mm f2, also sent it off for calibration straight after buying and it's a utterly beautiful portrait lens, not as contrasty as the 85 1.8 and better at skin tones because of it while being just as sharp. Been using it more for my stitching work recently and it's so much 'cleaner' in rendition than any of the 70-200L's I've owned or used (all of them).

You not worried about the focus shift on the Sigma Jack?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

I've used all of the lenses above except the Sigmas, so I already know how good they can be :D

Still looking for everything listed!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Hi Ray, simple answer is yes ;)

I no longer need either Sigma, but still looking for a 50/1.2 and 85/1.8