Site Sponsors

Thread: WTB - Nikon gear

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

WTB - Nikon gear

No rush, planning ahead for a big trip . Thinking about a second Nikon body and rounding out my lenses.....

D90 or perhaps D300

12-24 mm
    70-200
    2x converter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: WTB - Nikon gear

(Sorry folks, inside joke!)
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Canon

Outside joke
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ha ha. The inside joke is getting bigger. Perhaps one of the moderators can edit my listing and add the 70-200 to my list along with perhaps a 2x converter.

So much for having all the Nikon gear I ever wanted!!!!!

Also, anyone know of a good Sherpa to carry it for me??? Destination????
    A very photogenic place with LOTS of light in summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I already know and that would be cheating. Need to buy a real camera for this trip.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I already know and that would be cheating. Need to buy a real camera for this trip.
    Ok, please tell me which gear that you SOLD during the year I was supposed to have purchased in case I ever needed to set up a "real" system.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry - Does this mean you will be editing your post on the "Are You Happy With Your Current System" thread?

I am glad to hear you are planning a trip that will involve some photography for you. Good luck!!!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Charlie - LOL for normal times thought I was happy with what I had!

I'm heading to Iceland for 10 days in July and now have to rethink what is needed for that trip. Will I ever use the 70-200 as a walk around lens NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Do I really want a 12-24 big hunk O' glass. Nooooooooo!

Leica can't go long.
    G1 - not weather sealed and would need a back up body for that system if I were to use it.

So, I guess I shouldn't have been so happy with my set-up but I sort of equate this trip to an African Safari trip where the needs are pretty specialized. So, unless I plan to do a trip like this every year, I might sell some stuff after the trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Ok, please tell me which gear that you SOLD during the year I was supposed to have purchased in case I ever needed to set up a "real" system.
    First go to the bank open the safe deposit box , drop ALL you CC in there than let's talk.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to look at the first version of the Lightroom Adventure. All the images were taken in Iceland on a similar trip . From what I remember you are more likely to need longer lenses than wide . As you noted speed isn t the issue especially with the almost 24 hrs of daylight.

I think the 70-200/2.8 is a great lens but a "beast" to travel with. I used the 1.4x with it on a borrowed D300 with pretty good results. I converted an E67 180/2.8 elmarit R with produces images absolutely as sharp as I need ...but not with an extender. You might consider going with a slower zoom with a better range. Woody always raves about his 70-300 VR.

Sounds like a fun trip.

mkawa

if you're looking at a d90 and will have plenty of light, you might consider a d80 for half the price.

oh, what's that? i have a d80 i don't use? what a coincidence!

(let me know if you're interested )

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry - sounds like a great trip. I have been thinking about going there for several years but haven't made it yet. You should PM Stuart and see what he suggests.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You'll want longer glass for Iceland: lots of distance to see across with not much blocking your views, but often over difficult terrain to cross... All that equals longer glass than you're used to using in Manhattan and San Francisco where you can barely see across the street. ()

Of course this supports my original reco for the crop sensor D90/D300 to add to your D700. Maybe even forget the 12-24 Nikon lens and buy the much cheaper and smaller Sigma 12-24. Still covers full frame and the Canon version performs quite well stopped down on my 1Ds3 I might add. I don't think it equals the Nikon in the corners, but the cost and weight savings make it somewhat attractive if something that wide is only needed occasionally.

My humble .02...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I remember correctly the Nikon 12-24 is a Dx lens so will be constrained on your D700 body. The Sigma, on the other hand, (which I own) is full frame and thus useful on both Dx and Fx Nikon bodies.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll make the offer here as well as the other thread that Guy started. Terry, you're welcome to borrow my 70-200VR. I doubt I'll ever sell it (I like it) but I don't use it now since I've been going between the M8 and the Rolleiflex. Just pay the shipping and it's yours for the Iceland trip.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    You'll want longer glass for Iceland: lots of distance to see across with not much blocking your views, but often over difficult terrain to cross... All that equals longer glass than you're used to using in Manhattan and San Francisco where you can barely see across the street. ()

Of course this supports my original reco for the crop sensor D90/D300 to add to your D700. Maybe even forget the 12-24 Nikon lens and buy the much cheaper and smaller Sigma 12-24. Still covers full frame and the Canon version performs quite well stopped down on my 1Ds3 I might add. I don't think it equals the Nikon in the corners, but the cost and weight savings make it somewhat attractive if something that wide is only needed occasionally.

My humble .02...
    Aaah but we use long lenses like telescopes to look in other apartments! More to reply to when I get home

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Aaah but we use long lenses like telescopes to look in other apartments! More to reply to when I get home
    TMI !!!!!!! Yuck.....

Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    You might want to look at the first version of the Lightroom Adventure. All the images were taken in Iceland on a similar trip . From what I remember you are more likely to need longer lenses than wide . As you noted speed isn t the issue especially with the almost 24 hrs of daylight.

I think the 70-200/2.8 is a great lens but a "beast" to travel with. I used the 1.4x with it on a borrowed D300 with pretty good results. I converted an E67 180/2.8 elmarit R with produces images absolutely as sharp as I need ...but not with an extender. You might consider going with a slower zoom with a better range. Woody always raves about his 70-300 VR.

Sounds like a fun trip.
    I have thought about going there for a long time but that book inspired me to make it a reality! I almost went last summer and was going for a shorter time on my own and decided that I would really prefer to do it with someone from there as a workshop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I do have a 12-24 but I'm not sure if it makes sense to ship it overseas instead of selling locally. On D700 it can be used as approx 17-24 depending on aperture.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Well I do have a 12-24 but I'm not sure if it makes sense to ship it overseas instead of selling locally. On D700 it can be used as approx 17-24 depending on aperture.
    Duh......I listed it wrong...I wrote 12-24 but it should be 14-24 the big hunk of glass for FF not dx.

ddk

Might I interest you in a very very mint 17-35/2.8?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I may PM you but I'm back to square 1 sorting out what I am going to shoot with. So, it may take me a bit.

ddk

Terry,

No rush, but if you're cool with zoom lenses and starting from scratch my choice would be the Sony, Zeiss AF glass is special, but if you're like me and like your primes then you're stuck with Nikon or Canon. There's also another alternative, though I don't have one yet everything that I've seen posted from the G1 has been very impressive, specially images shot with exotic glass. Combination of still, video and all those wonderful lenses could make this camera the ideal tool for street and travel. I'm waiting for my GH1 and after seeing Jaap's recent posts, the Summilux 24 is at the top of my list.

ddk

I just saw your other thread, didn't know that you already have the G1 and the D700. In this case you only need a couple of lenses. Voiglander's 180mm is excellent and very light and compact at the same time, so is the 40mm, very sharp and quite interesting. I have a some older Zeiss Jena zoom lenses 70-300 & 70-210 that are extremely compact yet and have excellent IQ with that Zeiss magic and are regularly available on e-bay at bargain prices. Since we're both in NYC, I could lend them to you if you want to try them out along with the Voigtlanders.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    I just saw your other thread, didn't know that you already have the G1 and the D700. In this case you only need a couple of lenses. Voiglander's 180mm is excellent and very light and compact at the same time, so is the 40mm, very sharp and quite interesting. I have a some older Zeiss Jena zoom lenses 70-300 & 70-210 that are extremely compact yet and have excellent IQ with that Zeiss magic and are regularly available on e-bay at bargain prices. Since we're both in NYC, I could lend them to you if you want to try them out along with the Voigtlanders.
    Hi,
    I have the Voigtlander 40 and 58. I also have the Nikon 70-300 which people seem to like better than the 70-200 on the D700. So, on Nikon what I really need to add is the 14-24. But, I really should have a back up Nikon body and then I get sort of stumped as the 70-300 is blahhhh on DX.

I really do like my G1 (and probably will sneak it into my gear bag). Before you go with a GH1 24 Lux combo you need to be really careful. The 28 cron has corner problems on the G1 and I think it is similar with other wides. This is counter intuitive because you are using less of the edges of the lens than you would be even on an M8 but Panasonic is doing some in camera corrections to account for their lenses. See Sean's review of the 28 cron G1 combo. Panasonic is coming out with an M mount adapter and I asked them about the wide problem when I was at PMA. The answer I got is if they come out with an adapter for those lenses it will work. So, perhaps their adapter will talk to the camera and take out the correction. Mind you this is PURE SPECULATION but the 24 lux (which I really want for my M8) is pretty expensive relative to the GH1 and I don't want you to flip out!

ddk

Hi,
    I have the Voigtlander 40 and 58. I also have the Nikon 70-300 which people seem to like better than the 70-200 on the D700. So, on Nikon what I really need to add is the 14-24. But, I really should have a back up Nikon body and then I get sort of stumped as the 70-300 is blahhhh on DX.
    You ought to try one of the Zeiss Jenas in that case. I had the 14-24 for a while but ended up selling it in favor of the 14mm and the Zeiss 25mm. The 14mm and the zoom are on a par sharpness wise but the 14mm has a lot less linear distortion than the zoom @14mm. The Zeiss lens is simply superior at any f-stop and didn't care about in between fl range. This combination is still lighter and more compact than the 14-24. Of course you can also get the 18mm & 21mm Zeiss as well. The 17-35 got the range but not the sharpness, though a lot of people seem to like it but I never warmed up to it, hence the very mint condition, used only 3 or 4 times since new.

I really do like my G1 (and probably will sneak it into my gear bag). Before you go with a GH1 24 Lux combo you need to be really careful. The 28 cron has corner problems on the G1 and I think it is similar with other wides. This is counter intuitive because you are using less of the edges of the lens than you would be even on an M8 but Panasonic is doing some in camera corrections to account for their lenses. See Sean's review of the 28 cron G1 combo. Panasonic is coming out with an M mount adapter and I asked them about the wide problem when I was at PMA. The answer I got is if they come out with an adapter for those lenses it will work. So, perhaps their adapter will talk to the camera and take out the correction. Mind you this is PURE SPECULATION but the 24 lux (which I really want for my M8) is pretty expensive relative to the GH1 and I don't want you to flip out!
    Thanks for the heads up on the G1, what kind of corner problems are we talking about? The main issue with me could be the EVF and I hope to overcome this, I'll see when I get the GH1. The price of the 24 lux isn't a problem is if it works properly on the GH1, bodies come and go but the lenses remain.

The offer to try out any of the lenses is always on the table...

Post Thanks / Like

Terry,

I find the 14-24 to be an amazing lens and one of my most go to lenses at the moment for my editorial work. You really can't go wrong with it, though it is pretty specialized.

CP

Post Thanks / Like

I sold my 14-24 Nikkor recently as I wasn't using it much but I will tell you it's one beautiful piece of glass. One thing for traveling... the front element is REALLY exposed, would make me a little nervous hauling it around all day.

I can't say enough good things about my 70-200/2.8, fantastic lens. I use it with a 1.7 converter for racing and it still performs very well. When used in this configuration with my D300 it provides some nice reach.

If you change your mind on the G1 you might get the new 7-14mm.

Enjoy the trip

Kent