The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB - Nikon gear

Terry

No rush, planning ahead for a big trip :D. Thinking about a second Nikon body and rounding out my lenses.....

D90 or perhaps D300

12-24 mm
70-200
2x converter

Terry

Ha ha. The inside joke is getting bigger. Perhaps one of the moderators can edit my listing and add the 70-200 to my list along with perhaps a 2x converter.

So much for having all the Nikon gear I ever wanted!!!!!

Also, anyone know of a good Sherpa to carry it for me??? Destination????
A very photogenic place with LOTS of light in summer.

Terry

I already know and that would be cheating. Need to buy a real camera for this trip.:D
Ok, please tell me which gear that you SOLD during the year I was supposed to have purchased in case I ever needed to set up a "real" system.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Terry - Does this mean you will be editing your post on the "Are You Happy With Your Current System" thread?
:D:D:D

I am glad to hear you are planning a trip that will involve some photography for you. Good luck!!!!!

Terry

Charlie - LOL for normal times thought I was happy with what I had!

I'm heading to Iceland for 10 days in July and now have to rethink what is needed for that trip. Will I ever use the 70-200 as a walk around lens NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Do I really want a 12-24 big hunk O' glass. Nooooooooo!

Leica can't go long.
G1 - not weather sealed and would need a back up body for that system if I were to use it.

So, I guess I shouldn't have been so happy with my set-up but I sort of equate this trip to an African Safari trip where the needs are pretty specialized. So, unless I plan to do a trip like this every year, I might sell some stuff after the trip.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Ok, please tell me which gear that you SOLD during the year I was supposed to have purchased in case I ever needed to set up a "real" system.
First go to the bank open the safe deposit box , drop ALL you CC in there than let's talk.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
You might want to look at the first version of the Lightroom Adventure. All the images were taken in Iceland on a similar trip . From what I remember you are more likely to need longer lenses than wide . As you noted speed isn t the issue especially with the almost 24 hrs of daylight.

I think the 70-200/2.8 is a great lens but a "beast" to travel with. I used the 1.4x with it on a borrowed D300 with pretty good results. I converted an E67 180/2.8 elmarit R with produces images absolutely as sharp as I need ...but not with an extender. You might consider going with a slower zoom with a better range. Woody always raves about his 70-300 VR.

Sounds like a fun trip.

M

mkawa

if you're looking at a d90 and will have plenty of light, you might consider a d80 for half the price.

oh, what's that? i have a d80 i don't use? what a coincidence! :D

(let me know if you're interested :))

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Terry - sounds like a great trip. I have been thinking about going there for several years but haven't made it yet. You should PM Stuart and see what he suggests.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You'll want longer glass for Iceland: lots of distance to see across with not much blocking your views, but often over difficult terrain to cross... All that equals longer glass than you're used to using in Manhattan and San Francisco where you can barely see across the street. :)D)

Of course this supports my original reco for the crop sensor D90/D300 to add to your D700. Maybe even forget the 12-24 Nikon lens and buy the much cheaper and smaller Sigma 12-24. Still covers full frame and the Canon version performs quite well stopped down on my 1Ds3 I might add. I don't think it equals the Nikon in the corners, but the cost and weight savings make it somewhat attractive if something that wide is only needed occasionally.

My humble .02...

woodyspedden

If I remember correctly the Nikon 12-24 is a Dx lens so will be constrained on your D700 body. The Sigma, on the other hand, (which I own) is full frame and thus useful on both Dx and Fx Nikon bodies.

Woody

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'll make the offer here as well as the other thread that Guy started. Terry, you're welcome to borrow my 70-200VR. I doubt I'll ever sell it (I like it) but I don't use it now since I've been going between the M8 and the Rolleiflex. Just pay the shipping and it's yours for the Iceland trip.

Terry

You'll want longer glass for Iceland: lots of distance to see across with not much blocking your views, but often over difficult terrain to cross... All that equals longer glass than you're used to using in Manhattan and San Francisco where you can barely see across the street. :)D)

Of course this supports my original reco for the crop sensor D90/D300 to add to your D700. Maybe even forget the 12-24 Nikon lens and buy the much cheaper and smaller Sigma 12-24. Still covers full frame and the Canon version performs quite well stopped down on my 1Ds3 I might add. I don't think it equals the Nikon in the corners, but the cost and weight savings make it somewhat attractive if something that wide is only needed occasionally.

My humble .02...
Aaah but we use long lenses like telescopes to look in other apartments! More to reply to when I get home

Terry

You might want to look at the first version of the Lightroom Adventure. All the images were taken in Iceland on a similar trip . From what I remember you are more likely to need longer lenses than wide . As you noted speed isn t the issue especially with the almost 24 hrs of daylight.

I think the 70-200/2.8 is a great lens but a "beast" to travel with. I used the 1.4x with it on a borrowed D300 with pretty good results. I converted an E67 180/2.8 elmarit R with produces images absolutely as sharp as I need ...but not with an extender. You might consider going with a slower zoom with a better range. Woody always raves about his 70-300 VR.

Sounds like a fun trip.
I have thought about going there for a long time but that book inspired me to make it a reality! I almost went last summer and was going for a shorter time on my own and decided that I would really prefer to do it with someone from there as a workshop.

Lars

Well I do have a 12-24 but I'm not sure if it makes sense to ship it overseas instead of selling locally. On D700 it can be used as approx 17-24 depending on aperture.

Terry

Well I do have a 12-24 but I'm not sure if it makes sense to ship it overseas instead of selling locally. On D700 it can be used as approx 17-24 depending on aperture.
Duh......I listed it wrong...I wrote 12-24 but it should be 14-24 the big hunk of glass for FF not dx.