The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: A few good Canon lenses

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I would still like to find good copies of the following Canon lenses. I am happy to pay 75% to 80% of B&H new prices (after rebate) for lenses that are in good shape and are confirmed sharp copies.

85 f1.2, version II

50 f1.2

35 f1.4

24 TSE, version 1 fine, but it needs to be a confirmed sharp copy corner-to-corner on full-frame with minimal CA issues. I know this one will be tough, and I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet and pay for the new ver II model.

16-35, ver II

Don Libby

Jack

I'm getting visions of an underground bunker filled with all sorts of camera gear just waiting for .....

Or will this be the great camera museum?

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Don

Or will it be like a lending library :angel:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I lost track of that museum. Not sure what the heck is in there anymore, he maybe just getting worse than me. Must be the altitude up there. LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You guys are SOOOOOOOO funny. Ha Ha Ha. :)ROTFL:)

Seriously, at present I own a total of three cameras, the Mamiya/Phase, the Canon 1Ds3 and a GRD2 P&S.

As re lenses, the GRD2 is fixed 28, not even zoom. For the Mammy I have the 35, 80 and 150 AF primes, and the 55-110, 75-150 and 105-210 zooms, AND a few older MF Mammy lenses, the 80 f1.9N and the 145 soft focus. For the Canon, right now I have the 24-105 and 70-200 IS zooms, a beat to heck 90 TSE, a Sigma 50 f1.4 and that's about it. Oh, other than an adapter to use the two Mammy manual lenses on the Canon -- and I hate using third party MF only lenses on the Canon so hardly ever bother anyway. Oh yeah, I do have an older Canon film body and two lenses sit with it, a 50 and a 28.

So frankly, not much of a museum here right now... My desire for the primes is to replace part of what I 'lost' when I sold off the M8 outfit. Obviously I need a wide option for the Canon too, and why I want the 16-35 or to find a really good copy of the Sigma 12-24. Heck, I've even thought of buying an old Tokina 17 just to cover real wide when I need it, but I have serious doubts that lens will perform.

LJL

My bet is that Jack is betting on the next 1-series camera to come around and possibly be good enough to supplant MF for most uses. That recent 1DsMkIII purchase seems to have drawn him back into top end DSLR stuff again, so why not put together the killer Canon kit?

(Really do not see him abandoning MF, but if the 1DsMkIII is delivering, so be it.)

LJ

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sure you don't want a few good Nikon lenses (and a body)???? :LOL::LOL::LOL:
You know, that would have been an idea oh, say two months ago? :ROTFL:

Seriously, I shot Nikon for almost 25 years and *NEVER* got used to the backwards lens-mounting. Did okay with focus and such -- until I went back to Leica M -- and then could never focus, set aperture or change lenses quickly on the Nikon after that :D.

Terry

You know, that would have been an idea oh, say two months ago? :ROTFL:

Seriously, I shot Nikon for almost 25 years and *NEVER* got used to the backwards lens-mounting. Did okay with focus and such -- until I went back to Leica M -- and then could never focus, set aperture or change lenses quickly on the Nikon after that :D.
Yes, but now setting the Aperture with the control wheel on the Sony feels backwards to me.