The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thinking of selling 50 lux asph and 75 lux

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thinking about moving some things around . But i have a 50 lux asph that I bought last year coded , box and all that bought it new . Perfect shape than i have a 75 lux relatively new model one scratch on the hood not coded but it is dead on in focus area. Thinking of going 50 lux pre asph and 75 cron. I have a line on a Pre asph 50 black paint but not a cron 75mm. Thoughts

I can shoot images later if someone is interested

Stuart Richardson

Guy, I may be selling my 75 cron if you are interested...I am simply too much in love with my lux. I don't want to get rid of it, but I really have no excuse for it to stick around. It is coded and in pretty much perfect shape.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Stuart may just do that. I am really torn on this one, not sure what the hell I am thinking. I gain something, lose something and a little hair pulling on this one. My dilemma as always is I want them all . I like the idea of the Pre asph 50 but the asph is a killer lens the 75 lux i love the look but the cron is smaller and very sharp wide open.

Well I'm going back to bed , I got the flu I think. Feel like garbage. Everything hurts , knees , back, throat, head , neck, chest. Need to sell me for science parts. LOL

Stuart Richardson

Sleep on it. For what it is worth, I use the combination that you have now and are thinking of selling...It is my preferred bit of kit on film. But for the M8, the 50 lux pre asph behaves like the 75 lux, and the 75 cron behaves like the 90 cron, so it is a bit of a shift.

I suppose the thing to ask yourself is "what will this really change?" Not that I am trying to put you off the sale, but I think what everyone is looking for is a 75 luxcron or a 50mm summilux pre-asph asph, and they just don't exist. You have got to figure out which one is more worth it to you. And frankly, the difference in real-world photography is not dramatic. The ergonomics are more important in most cases.

bradhusick

Guy,
I owned a 50 lux pre-asph and then got my hands on a 50 lux asph LHSA chrome - wow! What a difference in tack-sharpness out to the corners. I was never quite satisfied with the corners of the pre-asph.

Just my 2 cents.
-Brad

Don Hutton

No point in finding Nirvana and looking for the "Exit" sign (no, Courtney Love never said that; I did)... Seriously, I bought my first Leica gear comparatively recently and I have never enjoyed any lens more on any format more than I enjoy the 50 1.4 Asph 'lux.

When the flu clears, you probably won't remember even thinking about selling it. And may it clear soon.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks guys and that is the rub , don't want to give up on my Asph. I may just buy a 50 pre and just add it to my kit and keep everything. I really hate selling Leica lenses, seems you will want them back.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I've gone around about this myself. I do think that if you are saving the "softie" for portraits, the 75mm is probably the more desired focal length. Keep the 75 lux. You've got the "clinical" 90mm when needed.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It is a tough call. In a perfect world, we'd own ALL of them, but then for sure, I'd never have the right one in the bag when I wanted it! :D

You currently have a great diversity: 35 IV for smooth, 50 Asph for clinical and then 75 Lux for smooth again. Your 28 and 90 on the outside of those go as tweeners...

Personally, I've preferred the smooth look, so I have the 35 IV, 50 Pre-Lux and 75 Lux. But the rub for me is I also have a 73mm Hektor (OLD lens, very sharp stopped down, yet uber-smooth with an old-time glow opened up), so I don't use my 75 Lux at all.... Hence, I am thinking it makes more sense for me to trade it out for a 75 Cron, or maybe add a 50 Lux Asph...

Conclusion: stick with what you already have as it's close to ideal for you :)

(And I'll swap my 75 Lux out for one of the others :ROTFL:)

D

Digital Dude

No point in finding Nirvana and looking for the "Exit" sign (no, Courtney Love never said that; I did)... Seriously, I bought my first Leica gear comparatively recently and I have never enjoyed any lens more on any format more than I enjoy the 50 1.4 Asph 'lux.

When the flu clears, you probably won't remember even thinking about selling it. And may it clear soon.
I actually almost threw in the Leica towel after a short honeymoon with my 28-cron. Then along came Ms. Silver 50-lux. Life became fun again although now, I've become a silver addict. Also, the ergonomics is also really sweet.
Regards,

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
My collection is growing slowly. And that's a good thing for me. Aside from the expense, too many options doesn't give me the time to really get the feel for a lens and reach a comfort level with it. Right now I have a 28 cron and a 75 lux. I abso-frikkin-lutely love them both. So much so that whichever one is on the camera, I hate to take it off even if the scene seems to demand the other focal length.

But I guess a 50 is inevitable at some point. I'm going out on a limb and say that based on my short experience with the 75 lux, it will be a 50 with similar wide open glow. Something to look forward to!

woodyspedden

I can only add to the obvious. I sold my silver chrome 35 Lux because I could get a lot of money for it and I had convinced myself that the CV 35's would get the job done since I much more often opt for the 28 cron as my preferred lens cap. Now all I do is think about how much I would give to have my lux back! Only you can decide Guy but I would sleep on it for a couple of weeks to see how i feel then

Best

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Well I sold both of them and got a 50 pre asph and a 75 cron and that is working out just fine right now

A

asabet

Wow, congrats Guy. I tend to think of the 50 lux asph as the perfect 50, but I can see how one person's "perfect" could be another's "clinical." Couldn't really have gone wrong either way.