The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: 5D for/or IR modified 5D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My ideal set-up would be the "LifePixel" enhanced color IR mod (665nm and a $500 option with the 5D) but will consider others.

1) Obviously looking for a deal here that is cheaper than me buying a used 5D and having it converted.

2) Other option is I purchase a used 5D and mod it myself, but again, looking for a deal so the total conversion doesn't break the bank, like to keep the total under $1500.

Thanks,

drazin

i was just about to post something like this today!

but im looking for something less then a 5D... maybe a 20d or so

smokysun

good luck, jack. hard to find. i got mine on ebay - the writeup proved to be good. converted by maxmax. a guy in nevada who proved to be more than trustworthy. and the camera little used. i did have to outbid a lot of other people: $1345 plus shipping. however, i absolutely love it. did get the stronger screen for that glow. from everything i've read the 5d considered the king of the ir converted cameras.
best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback Wayne. I suspect I'll be doing one custom for that very reason, so just need to find the 5D deal ;)

monza

Jack, I will check but I think we have 2 or 3 5Ds, I'll send you a PM with details later this morning...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Wayne:

Thanks for the link! They are $150 less expensive than LifePixel and do have the 665 nm filter too -- BUT do they also adjust camera focus for IR at that price?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Having perfect focus is definitely worth $150 to me if PrecisionCamera doesn't do that...

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Jim - is your camera the Standard Color or Enhanced Color?

It seems to me that if one got the enhanced color it might be rather simple to get the same look as the standard color by desaturating the file. Do you think this is the case?

Don Libby

This has been something I've kicked around for a long time. Now I'll just wait for the gear locker to open:D:ROTFL:

JimCollum

Jim - is your camera the Standard Color or Enhanced Color?

It seems to me that if one got the enhanced color it might be rather simple to get the same look as the standard color by desaturating the file. Do you think this is the case?
Enhanced color.

you can still put a more powerful IR filter (92 or 93) in front of the lens, and get a more intense IR effect.

These are shots out of the camera

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I had a very nice email exchange with Mark Soares at Precision Camera Repair, and based on his informative answers to my questions, I have decided to go with their 665nm option over LifePixel's. For the camera body, it sounds like Robert may have a decent 5D deal for me, so hopefully will have this all settled over the next few weeks.

Stay tuned for a more in-depth review!

Thanks again for all the great feedback, and special thanks to Wayne for steering me to the Precision folks!

smokysun

good luck, jack. i think you'll enjoy the experience. the thing about ir, all the books on it and most of the web stuff looks the same. like most photography there seems to be an ideal which people aspire to. my feeling is ir can give punch to a story, and the story, not the mode, the important thing.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Agreed Wayne. My favorite times to use IR almost always seem to be when the light is bad for visible light work. So here, I look to it as a niche to fill in with my regular shooting.

kdphotography

Still looking for a deal on a used 5D for conversion!
Jack,

Mariah is using my 5D at present. She may purchase it and I should find out shortly.

My Canon 5D has the battery grip, four batteries, charger, and the 4x5/8x10 crop line screen. Box and blank warranty card, cables, software unopened....

Ken

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Let me know what Mariah decides -- I definitely don't want to Bogart her, heck she might put a hurtin on me :ROTFL: