The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: 5D for/or IR modified 5D

Don Libby

Had no idea the 5D was so expensive! Just for kicks and giggles I went to one of the very few places I would feel comfortable buying used - KEH. They have always graded their products very low, in some cases a BGN (bargain) was more likely closer to excellent. Anyway the spread is $1599 to $1,8999 all with battery and charger and in some cases cables.

Don

monza

We have them for $1399-$1499 (the latter being in excellent condition, very little if any signs of use, some with original boxes.) The 5Ds hold their values.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, for sure. I'm not in any hurry, so will hold out for a sub $1000 copy or at least one with enough extras to make it compelling ;)

Don Libby

Jack

In your research what did you find if anything about converting a 1Ds II? I've got one sitting in a closet collecting dust that I only use for lightning. Now Sandy tells me I can use her 1DsIII so that opens up the Mark II. Do I combine the two cameras for a greater spread of lightning or do I convert to IR.

Don't want to sell it so that's not a real option.

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Do I combine the two cameras for a greater spread of lightning or do I convert to IR.
Don, tough call. The mkII is still 16MP and is no slouch even by today's 20+mp standards, is also a weather-proofed camera, so I'd be tempted to keep it visible light for lightning spread and back-up in that environment.

By definition, most IR captures are softer than visible light, so frankly total pixel count becomes less of a concern to me. I wanted full-frame IR and I have Canon mount lenses, so that left the 5D or 1Ds mkI as my first choices for conversion -- and the 5D is cheaper and lighter in weight to slog around in the bag, though if a deal on a 1Ds1 came along, I'd sure look at it.

The other side of that coin is lightning captures might be very cool combined with IR backgrounds -- have no idea, but it's a thought worth considering -- and would certainly work for monochrome lightning images...

To answer you first question, I did not specifically explore 1 series conversions, but am pretty sure precision camera charges the same price for the conversion of all full-frame cameras, while Life-Pixel and MaxMax charge more for the 1 series.

D

ddk

The other side of that coin is lightning captures might be very cool combined with IR backgrounds -- have no idea, but it's a thought worth considering -- and would certainly work for monochrome lightning images...
You get the best IR effects when there's a lot of light available, natural or artificial, not much going on in its absence. There wont be any noticeable difference shooting dark skies with an IR converted or standard camera, specially in monochrome without lighting up the environment.

Don Libby

I had originally thought of going to Maxmax for a conversion until I found Precision. Maxmax charges $450 for DSLR camera conversion and it looks like will convert either a G9 or G10. Precision on the other hand charges $299 for DSLR and $129 for the G.

I've run hot and cold over whether I should go with a DSLR or P&S and currently leaning towards the 1DsII.

I was going to say something about lightning in IR until I read David's response which does make sense. Of course I can see a static shot where one image is captured during the day and the other with lightning then combining the two.

Any idea of the turn around time for Precision?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You get the best IR effects when there's a lot of light available, natural or artificial, not much going on in its absence. There wont be any noticeable difference shooting dark skies with an IR converted or standard camera, specially in monochrome without lighting up the environment.
Actually David, this isn't quite true. On our workshops we demonstrate just how much IR is available about an hour before or after sunrise due to residual heat energy.

D

ddk

Actually David, this isn't quite true. On our workshops we demonstrate just how much IR is available about an hour before or after sunrise due to residual heat energy.
There is light during that period, the sky isn't dark yet.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
There is light during that period, the sky isn't dark yet.
Yes there is still some light, but you said,

You get the best IR effects when there's a lot of light available, natural or artificial
There certainly isn't a LOT of light an hour before sunrise or after sunset.

If you go to the link Terry posted above, you can see the effect. Also, if you ask Jim Collum about his IR images, many are done in the pre-dawn and post-dusk hour...

D

ddk

I saw that image, its lovely and a very nice IR effect.

We're playing semantics here, there's plenty of light at those times. Its too late now (ET) for me to look around but I'll post some samples tomorrow night.

Don Libby

This discussion has really gotten me thinking about a conversion. Now which will it be - the 1Ds II gives me a choice of lenses although I'd more than likely stick with the 24-70 or do I convert a G10 for the fun factor as well as movies?

Jack -which camera did you use on those Moab images?

Terry - thank you for posting the link as I had completely forgotten about the images.

Don

Of course this isn't helping you find that 5D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Don: The Moab shots were done with a 720nm filter over the lens of my M8. The M8's leak enough IR to make images, so being able to mount a filter on the lens and still see through the RF viewfinder, make them viable to use either way ;)

Don Libby

Don: The Moab shots were done with a 720nm filter over the lens of my M8. The M8's leak enough IR to make images, so being able to mount a filter on the lens and still see through the RF viewfinder, make them viable to use either way ;)
I've been using a Cokin 007 IR 89B filter first on the 1Ds and currently with the WRS. Not bad results just think I could always do better - that's why I'm thinking of the conversion.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your search maybe this should be moved to another venue?

Don

btw- I can't see through the lens with the filter on.

Last edited:

Terry

OK I'm hijacking a little more. If you can't see are you manually focusing stopped down and making the DOF work for you? or is AF close enough. IIRC for IR you have a different focus distance.