The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB Macro for Canon

J

jdeitch11

Hi, Mark--

I haven't done my homework on that one, but I will. What can you tell me about it?

Thanks

J

jdeitch11

Looks like it. A little complicated getting it to talk to the camera, but the glass is, of course, first-class. The ticket on those is high to start, but add the coupler and forget about going out to dinner on Friday night. I haven't looked into a realistic fair price for a used one yet. Have you seen what they're going for?

monza

I sold one a couple of days ago for $1450, the Elpro went for $305. Perfect with caps and leather case, no box.

LJL

Will consider Canon 100, Zeiss 100, or Voigt. 125
If you were looking to go a bit longer focal length, you might want to look at the Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro. Yes, Sigma. This little gem may be the best bang for the buck on a Canon EOS mount. It only goes to f22, which some find an issue, but diffraction limits kick in before that. It also has a pretty decent AF, which makes for a nice portrait lens also. Bokeh is a bit sharp, but not objectionable. The 150mm makes for a bit longer working distance, which may not be bad, but can be a bit more of a problem for tabletop shooting. Check it out. For the just over $700 cost, it does a very nice job.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/352422-USA/Sigma_104101_150mm_f_2_8_EX_APO.html

LJ

J

jdeitch11

Thanks. That's about in line with the Zeiss. Sources seem to disagree, but I'm under the impression that the benefits of the Zeiss are in its mount and its metering: Whereas the Leica requires any of a number of brands of adapters--and even then, it won't communicate with the meters--, the Zeiss will do everything but auto-focus. Tell you the truth, I'm leaning toward the Canon, for ease, at this point. If I get heavily into macro, I'll go further. From what I've heard, however, if I stumbled upon a Voigt, I'd grab it in an instant.

J

jdeitch11

I've been told by someone I trust that the Sig. is a good lens, and I did a little research into it. It is a little long for my purposes, though. I understand that Sig. makes a few other not-to-be-sneezed-at (or on) lenses. Thanks for the tip.

If you were looking to go a bit longer focal length, you might want to look at the Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro. Yes, Sigma. This little gem may be the best bang for the buck on a Canon EOS mount. It only goes to f22, which some find an issue, but diffraction limits kick in before that. It also has a pretty decent AF, which makes for a nice portrait lens also. Bokeh is a bit sharp, but not objectionable. The 150mm makes for a bit longer working distance, which may not be bad, but can be a bit more of a problem for tabletop shooting. Check it out. For the just over $700 cost, it does a very nice job.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/352422-USA/Sigma_104101_150mm_f_2_8_EX_APO.html

LJ