WTB Macro for Canon

Will consider Canon 100, Zeiss 100, or Voigt. 125

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WTB Macro for Canon

What about a leica 100mm Apo ?

jdeitch11

Hi, Mark--

I haven't done my homework on that one, but I will. What can you tell me about it?

Thanks

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The APO is fantastic.

jdeitch11

Looks like it. A little complicated getting it to talk to the camera, but the glass is, of course, first-class. The ticket on those is high to start, but add the coupler and forget about going out to dinner on Friday night. I haven't looked into a realistic fair price for a used one yet. Have you seen what they're going for?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I sold one a couple of days ago for $1450, the Elpro went for $305. Perfect with caps and leather case, no box.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdeitch11 View Post
    Will consider Canon 100, Zeiss 100, or Voigt. 125
    If you were looking to go a bit longer focal length, you might want to look at the Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro. Yes, Sigma. This little gem may be the best bang for the buck on a Canon EOS mount. It only goes to f22, which some find an issue, but diffraction limits kick in before that. It also has a pretty decent AF, which makes for a nice portrait lens also. Bokeh is a bit sharp, but not objectionable. The 150mm makes for a bit longer working distance, which may not be bad, but can be a bit more of a problem for tabletop shooting. Check it out. For the just over $700 cost, it does a very nice job.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._8_EX_APO.html

LJ

jdeitch11

Thanks. That's about in line with the Zeiss. Sources seem to disagree, but I'm under the impression that the benefits of the Zeiss are in its mount and its metering: Whereas the Leica requires any of a number of brands of adapters--and even then, it won't communicate with the meters--, the Zeiss will do everything but auto-focus. Tell you the truth, I'm leaning toward the Canon, for ease, at this point. If I get heavily into macro, I'll go further. From what I've heard, however, if I stumbled upon a Voigt, I'd grab it in an instant.

jdeitch11

I've been told by someone I trust that the Sig. is a good lens, and I did a little research into it. It is a little long for my purposes, though. I understand that Sig. makes a few other not-to-be-sneezed-at (or on) lenses. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    If you were looking to go a bit longer focal length, you might want to look at the Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro. Yes, Sigma. This little gem may be the best bang for the buck on a Canon EOS mount. It only goes to f22, which some find an issue, but diffraction limits kick in before that. It also has a pretty decent AF, which makes for a nice portrait lens also. Bokeh is a bit sharp, but not objectionable. The 150mm makes for a bit longer working distance, which may not be bad, but can be a bit more of a problem for tabletop shooting. Check it out. For the just over $700 cost, it does a very nice job.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._8_EX_APO.html

LJ