The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Quick Mac set-up question

Terry

I've partially set up my new Mac, without copying over files from my old machine(s). I was speaking to Apple care about something earlier and they didn't want me to touch my keychains because they are tricky to get fixed if they aren't right. Instead she wanted me to copy over my preferences folder from the iMac along with the safari "bookmarks.plist". Finally we discussed copying over info from mail but I believe .mac took care of that when I logged on and it copied down all 20,404 items :bugeyes:

Before I muck up a new machine any more or less people can think of to move over?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well your .mac account should have done your keychains also from your account. Now you can always use migrate assistant , I recommend going from leopard to leopard though. Just need a Firewire cable between the two computers and you can pick only what you want with migrate assistant and just do your preferences and settings. First do this though back up the new MBP to a time machine drive , hell you can use your travel one for now and wipe it out later. But do a backup just in case it gets screwy . Than worst case you reload than migrate from your new time machine and your back in business or clone it over using super douper or carbon copy. Not sure why the Apple folks did not recommend migrate assistant

Terry

She said I could use migrate assist but I said that I want no files (documents, pictures, music). All I wanted was the setup things so she thought just moving those folders would be easiest.

This is actually what my problem has always been taking too much from the old machine and using up too much disk space on a brand new machine. By the way before doing anything my 200gb drive had 166gb free space on arrival.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I use .mac to synch my keychains too, and it works perfectly, but that is Leopard to Leopard...

Terry

I am leopard to leopard....I upgraded the iMac over the weekend. How do I get that info to .Mac?

Guy Mancuso

Really all you should have to do is just sync it. Go to preferences and pick you .mac account and register that computer and sync.

Guy Mancuso

She said I could use migrate assist but I said that I want no files (documents, pictures, music). All I wanted was the setup things so she thought just moving those folders would be easiest.

This is actually what my problem has always been taking too much from the old machine and using up too much disk space on a brand new machine. By the way before doing anything my 200gb drive had 166gb free space on arrival.
Terry you can pick and chose here. You can just pick your settings and preferences and not your apps. or anything like that.

Terry

Thanks. I will do it. I've migrated a lot of macs but wanted to just keep this clean. I'm functioning as I am on the new laptop now on couch, feet up, socks off :grin: watching the one story that could kick Hillary and Barak off the news for the evening!

etrigan63

Since I am moving from PC to Mac, I used Outlook2Mac to convert my mail files and import them into Mac Mail. The only sticky part was that Mac Mail doesn't support nested mailbox folders and Outlook does. I had to rename all of my imported folders so that they made sense. Tedious but not complicated.