Site Sponsors

Thread: Configuring my Mac Pro - Help...

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Configuring my Mac Pro - Help...

I've finally started to configure my Mac Pro system. Here's what I've got for a base. I plan to add extra memory and drives.

• Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    • 6GB (6x1GB)
    • 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB
    • Two 18x SuperDrives
    • Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse
    • Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) and User's Guide
    • AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi Card with 802.11n
    • AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll

I'm not sure about the video card. I plan to start with a single monitor but add a second one later. Monitors I'm looking at are: LaCie 724 LCD Monitor or Eizo ColorEdge CG241W.

What drive should I consider for adding.

Any other things I should add or consider.
    Last edited by johnastovall; 15th September 2009 at 15:47.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Configuring my Mac Pro - Help...

Congratulations John! Looks like a great machine. Mine has been running like a clock since I received it. I'm sure you'll enjoy its expansion capacity.

I think Guy and Jack are better equipped to comment on drives, etc. but it sounds like you're on the right track there as well.

I will make one comment and it might reflect a personal preference so take it FWIW. It's the wireless keyboard and mouse thing. I just hate that they're battery powered. I have the little metal-backed soft touch keyboard attached via USB and bought myself a great Logitech laser mouse.

The mouse makes such a difference. The one I have is a couple years old now, I think it's called MX Revolution. Great scroll wheel, bunches of programmable buttons, accurate as hell and has a recharging base to set it in when the battery drains. I can't stress enough how much of a difference it has made.

Good luck with your new powerhouse!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    Congratulations John! Looks like a great machine. Mine has been running like a clock since I received it. I'm sure you'll enjoy its expansion capacity.

I think Guy and Jack are better equipped to comment on drives, etc. but it sounds like you're on the right track there as well.

I will make one comment and it might reflect a personal preference so take it FWIW. It's the wireless keyboard and mouse thing. I just hate that they're battery powered. I have the little metal-backed soft touch keyboard attached via USB and bought myself a great Logitech laser mouse.

The mouse makes such a difference. The one I have is a couple years old now, I think it's called MX Revolution. Great scroll wheel, bunches of programmable buttons, accurate as hell and has a recharging base to set it in when the battery drains. I can't stress enough how much of a difference it has made.

Good luck with your new powerhouse!

Tim
    I've been using wireless key board and mouse for 4 years on the iMac. I just keep a box of AA lithiums in the desk drawer and have a wired USB Apple keyboard and mouse for if/when I have to run low level diagnostics.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John,

Lloyd Chambers has an interesting article on configuring the Mac Pro. http://macperformanceguide.com/Mac-H...reAMacPro.html

Jack has written about what he's done to his as well. I'm sure you'll hear from him.

Steve

meilicke

Hi John,

I just put an intel 25x-m 160gb gen 2 into my mac pro ($450), and it feels much snappier. Like I got a new mac. Not a 10x improvement or anything, bu I no longer wait for much of anything. I was coming from two fast disks striped, so I imagine the difference will be more dramatic comin from a single disk.

Have fun with your new rig!

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    John,

Lloyd Chambers has an interesting article on configuring the Mac Pro. http://macperformanceguide.com/Mac-H...reAMacPro.html

Jack has written about what he's done to his as well. I'm sure you'll hear from him.

Steve
    That is a great site, Thanks....

Mike Johnston