The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need some help....

Diane B

Need some help....found the answer.....

Found the answer I think (not to fix the monopod, but for a bushing that will go from 1/4" to 3/8")

I have an older Manfrotto 434SSB monopod with the dual 1/4" and 3/8" screw on top. The 3/8" sort of slides down to let the 1/4" screw be usable. I tried that (screwing the G1 directly onto the monopod--which doesn't work for me)--and now can't get the 1/4" outer screw part to pop back up. Any suggestions. I've used a small thin object to push down' on that outer part (which is pushed down flat with the head mounting platform. I vaugely remember this happening once before but don't remember what I did to correct it.

Assuming that I can't get that 3/8" back up--is there anything that I can attach/screw on to use a 3/8" head??
Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Diane

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Diane,
I don't know that piece of gear, but there are adapters that have a 3/8 thread on the outside and a 1/4 in thread on the inside.
-bob

Diane B

Thanks Bob. After my husband and I tried working on the monopod, I searched for some adaptor--found bushings from Manfrotto (I'll search B & H for those) and some Taiwan screw company that should work--

Diane

Terry

I recently picked up a bushing for exactly this purpose at a photo store. They charged my a dollar or two.

Does the 3/8" part have to turn along the 1/4" threads to come up? Try pushing down hard with a piece of rubber tubing that just slips over the 1/4" stud and twisting like you're unscrewing. Maybe it's just a matter of getting a grip on it to turn.

I'm not familiar with that monopod but IMHO what you describe can't be made strong enough unless the 3/8" bushing threads along the 1/4" stud.

Diane B

Thanks all. As many know, this forum has some great helpful folks. Stephen Gilbert PMed me that he had just the bushing (from RRS) I needed and would send it to me, no charge--and its on its way. How nice is THAT???? Thanks to Stephen--and to everyone else that offered some help.

Diane