The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macbook Pro with 15 inch screen...

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
For the next 6 weeks, I'll way from my home systems. I'm looking at for economy the 15inch Macbook Pro so I can load up Photoshop and work on images away from home.

I'm going to order the 2gig and add in 4gig memory (cheaper than Apple memory) and order it with the 7200 rpm disk, glossy display and 2.4 processor.

Any thoughts on this for a compact editing system?

Terry

John the 2.5ghz machine has double the graphics memory and then the upgrade on the hard drive is slightly less expensive at $50 instead of $100. So the speed bump and graphics is really a $450 difference.

johnastovall

My educator discount bring in the slow guy at 1889 and the fast guy at 2344 without Apple care. I'll think on this the fat graphics card might be worth it...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have a 6 month old 15" with the 2.6, 256 graphics, 7200 200G drive and 4G OWC ram and it runs about as well as my dual Xeon 3.4 PC desktop did: In short, it makes an excellent on the road image editing machine :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have a 2.4 now do I feel like the lonely old duck out here. I have last years model without the new graphics card and im just fine.

johnastovall

Guy, I may go cheap and put the difference toward the 24 inch iMac for a new desktop.

I had really hoped Apple would come out with a small tower between the mac-min and the full blown desktop.

johnastovall

Well, I'm going to pull the trigger on a Mac Powerbook this week.

I've decided to go with the 15 inch, 2.5 with 7200rpm disk and 2 Gig (will self upgrade to 4 gig later). Am adding a Bluetooth Mighty Mouse as I hate touch pads.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
John, just make sure you add the memory to 4 Gig. It makes a huge difference.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
John, I have the same set up and it works great...I added the 30" apple monitor for home. I find the 15" is fine on the road (smaller) and the 17" to large .

johnastovall

My Mac Guru called me and said go with the 2.4 and slow disk and use the money saved for memory and a Lugi case for the M4.

So I went with his advice. Also pointed me to the memory he uses in the university powerbooks 4gig for 71 with shipping from Newegg.

Looks like I can stop eating dog food and put saving from my Birthday present to another Lugi case.

robsteve

Subscriber
John:

I just bought the Machine you described. It was about the same price, but with the matt screen. I just got what was available. When buying the 2.4ghz, make sure you get the newest version with the trackpad which has added functions for use in Photoshop.

Robert