Site Sponsors

Thread: Mac pro fan driving me nuts

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mac pro fan driving me nuts

Okay my fan must be loose or something . On startup lot's of noise because the fans start up at high speed than it settles down and just a constant low buzz sound. I don't think it is my hard drive now after turning the main drive off and booting from backup drive so looks like I need to open it up and have a look around. I bet something just worked it's way loose
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Mac pro fan driving me nuts

Well opened the MacPro up and turns out it is my ATI 1900 graphics card fan going nuts. I have had some issues with these cards . Last one was dancing ants from the video card. This is my third one. i may ask for a different card altogether. Not happy about this .i think i am still on Apple care also.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Luckily I have the Nividia 7300 that came with it so i can still work but may take a trip to the Apple store today and see if it can get replaced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The newer standard 2600 card is pretty decent and not very expensive. The other option is just replace the fan on your video card -- pretty accessible isn't it?
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For what it's worth, I have the Nvidia Geforce 8800 and it's dead silent. I put in a couple different ATI cards in my old G5 and they always seemed a bit noisy, making up about half of the noise that the box let out during normal operation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    The newer standard 2600 card is pretty decent and not very expensive. The other option is just replace the fan on your video card -- pretty accessible isn't it?
    Yea Jack it is actually but i think i am under warranty on this card and see if they will switch to the Nividia or something, might have to pull the really unhappy customer trick

Honestly i would like to switch brands on this , 3 times changing out cards is not right. i just read the reviews on it and there not good either , many problems.