The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

mac buggery

jlm

Workshop Member
i have two macs, a bookpro and a pro (brand new) and am having weird mail problems (due to my ignorance, i'm sure)

bookpro: pre-snow leopard
using entourage as the e-mail program has worked fine for a long time. of a sudden, entourage hung up, would not even force close or run. when i re-booted, it disappeared, not even in the app folder. so i tried to run "mail", but can only get it to send mail, not get mail. incoming server set to pop.(domain name).com, outgoing to smtp.(domain name).com)

macpro: snow leopard

also setting up "mail", but this one will only receive mail, not send it. same in and out server settings as above

any ideas?

thx

jm

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I don't think I've ever experienced an app just up and disappearing on its own. That's weird. It would be hard to isolate the exact problem, but here's a few things I'd consider (which you may already have done):

If nothing else has changed (need to recall the recent past and anything you might have added/deleted) and the two programs dealing with mail are acting weird, maybe there's something up with your ISP. Maybe give their tech support a call and tell them you're having trouble sending mail.

If Entourage is part of the Microsoft Office suite, I'd re-install office or download an update and reinstall it.

In Apple Mail, check the account info under preferences. If you have more than one account (maybe your regular one and one for Mobil Me/.mac) make sure you're editing the outgoing mail info for the right account.

If you're running Time Machine, you might try reverting to a save-day or hour prior to the collapse of entourage and the current problems.

Sorry, these seem kind of lame ideas, but the problem is an odd one.

Good luck!
Tim

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I don't think I've ever experienced an app just up and disappearing on its own. That's weird. It would be hard to isolate the exact problem, but here's a few things I'd consider (which you may already have done):

If nothing else has changed (need to recall the recent past and anything you might have added/deleted) and the two programs dealing with mail are acting weird, maybe there's something up with your ISP. Maybe give their tech support a call and tell them you're having trouble sending mail.

If Entourage is part of the Microsoft Office suite, I'd re-install office or download an update and reinstall it.

In Apple Mail, check the account info under preferences. If you have more than one account (maybe your regular one and one for Mobil Me/.mac) make sure you're editing the outgoing mail info for the right account.

If you're running Time Machine, you might try reverting to a save-day or hour prior to the collapse of entourage and the current problems.

Sorry, these seem kind of lame ideas, but the problem is an odd one.

Good luck!
Tim
Sounds like started on the ISP side...do you have web mail to log into your mail server to check it? Mac mail is pretty bullet proof and some use Thunderbird as it seems to support more open system add ons.

I would back up via Carbon Copy or Chronosync before I trusted Time Machine with a restore...it still is a bit wonky.

Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm... weird for sure. I don't bother with Entourage as I also fine Mac Mail pretty much bullet-proof. What's weird is it sounds like your set-up is right, but as Doc said, it may be your ISP/Email provider issue. Most always, the ISP has a web page dedicated on settings for each specific mail program -- I'd start there and re-set all of your mail settings in Mail and see if you can get it up. Sometimes the ISP requires a special port setting, or SSL protocols that you may have missed in the Mail set up...

R

Ranger 9

If it will receive but not send, the problem is with SMTP, as it sounds as if you've already figured out.

Assuming your ISP isn't having problems at their end, things to check are:

-- Do you have the SMTP server name correct? (You can't just assume it's always smtp.domain.com, and even if the name you used worked before, they may have changed it.)

-- Do you have the correct authentication settings? (Some SMTP servers require no authentication, some use SSL, some use password challenge/response. Again, you have to check with the ISP, as they may have changed it -- in response to a security exposure, for example.)