Site Sponsors

Thread: Apple's new Magic Mouse - Love it !!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Apple's new Magic Mouse - Love it !!!

Picked up the new mouse today. If you haven't figured it out yet, I love it !!

About a year ago I wrote to Apple about making a stand alone track pad to mimic the laptop trackpad. They did it one better with the combined mouse track pad.

Scrolling is simple (much better than a wheel or the little ball on the mighty mouse. Two fingers left or right acts as a forwards or backwards button. Hold control and slide one finger to zoom the screen in an out.

I know I had a problem popping the back off the mighty mouse and losing my connection. That seems to be resolved with a smaller latch and it is more recessed than before. Only time will tell but I'm pretty sure it will be better.

Also, it is much flatter than the old mouse and therefore will take up less space if you like to travel with a mouse.

I know the little things get me really excited .

Thank You Apple!!!
    Last edited by Terry; 1st November 2009 at 14:59.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Apple's new Magic Mouse - Love it !!!

Mine comes tomorrow. Had to try it. Scrolling may be better and that is what I went for.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Terry
    I got mine on Friday . I did a lot of work with it then, and got a stiff arm, but maybe it was just unfamiliarity. I also miss the squeeze on the old mouse which I had set to do spaces - in fact, although the scrolling is a great improvement, there are actually less things you can do with it.

But hey - I'm sounding grumpy, I'm really enjoying mine, and it certainly does look cool next to my nice 17" unibody

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I also miss the squeeze on the old mouse which I had set to do spaces - in fact, although the scrolling is a great improvement, there are actually less things you can do with it.
    LOL - I always got my spaces mixed up so I gave up on using them.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    LOL - I always got my spaces mixed up so I gave up on using them.
    You should never muddle up your spaces . . . you might find yourself expose'd

I'm experimenting with hot corners for this, but that really can get confusing!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did you folks download the software for this mouse.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Did you folks download the software for this mouse.
    Hi There
    Yes - absolutely (otherwise the scrolling and stuff doesn't work).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono just read you download it after you pair the mouse with software update

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono just read you download it after you pair the mouse with software update
    i did it before pairing

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Terry

I did it before pairing as well . . . it's a surprisingly large download considering the mouse pretty much as reduced functionality. At least, it does on Leopard . . . I'm one of the 3 people in the known universe who has been bright enough not to upgrade yet

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love the look of it. Typical Apple mesmerizing design.

But gee whiz, am I the only one who's invested in and become hooked on a third-party multi-function mouse? My Logitech MX Revolution is like a frikkin' race car. The scroll wheel has settable acceleration so you give it a flick with your finger and it responds by scrolling an entire page relative to the amount of "spin" your finger puts on the wheel. Plus by simply nudging that same wheel either left or right, you scroll in that direction. Perfectly positioned buttons near the thumb allow forward and back paging. A wheel at the thumb allows volume control of my speakers. Highlight a line of text and a little programmable button in front of the top scroll wheel automatically opens a google search for the highlighted text. But wait! There's more! It has it's own charging cradle. It's accuracy and tracking is superb. And the two "normal" mouse-click buttons are completely programmable to do almost anything (except laundry).

I challenge any one of you to a race right now. Your puny Magic Mouse against my MX. You'll be looking at the back of my USB port before you know what happened.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I tried it failed . Maybe I will try again

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Terry
    I got mine on Friday . I did a lot of work with it then, and got a stiff arm, but maybe it was just unfamiliarity. I also miss the squeeze on the old mouse which I had set to do spaces - in fact, although the scrolling is a great improvement, there are actually less things you can do with it.

But hey - I'm sounding grumpy, I'm really enjoying mine, and it certainly does look cool next to my nice 17" unibody
    Jono,

EXACTLY why I am NOT a candidate for the "new" mouse! I use the squeeze for expose' all the time, and have the center button set for spaces. And since I can scroll every way I need to with the miniball, I so no advantage to the new mouse other than the typical Apple "gottahaveit" hype it's trendy and cool marketing...

My only gripe with my current wireless minimouse is it eats batteries -- I probably have to replace the AA's three times per year. Maybe I'll get the wired minimouse when this one craps out. Heck, maybe I should buy one before Apple discontinues it!

Or maybe I am just grumpy too,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Jono,

EXACTLY why I am NOT a candidate for the "new" mouse! I use the squeeze for expose' all the time, and have the center button set for spaces. And since I can scroll every way I need to with the miniball, I so no advantage to the new mouse other than the typical Apple "gottahaveit" hype it's trendy and cool marketing...
    Well, I had it another way around (squeeze for spaces, centre button for right click, as the right click sometimes didn't).

I've put expose on the top left corner, and spaces on the top right, and that seems to work pretty well. the scrolling is much better though.

My only gripe with my current wireless minimouse is it eats batteries -- I probably have to replace the AA's three times per year.
    Gordon Bennett - how do you manage that! I'm lucky if they last a month!!!!
    Maybe I'll get the wired minimouse when this one craps out. Heck, maybe I should buy one before Apple discontinues it!

Or maybe I am just grumpy too,
    Yes, call me grumpy if you want . . . just don't call me a fanboy

One great irritation with the old mouse (which is now fixed on the new one) is that if you used it on a rough surface (like my studio table), then the battery catch would catch on something, thus ditching the batteries and losing the connection (very irritating).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One great irritation with the old mouse (which is now fixed on the new one) is that if you used it on a rough surface (like my studio table), then the battery catch would catch on something, thus ditching the batteries and losing the connection (very irritating).
    EXACTLY! and my problem was my setup: 15" MBP with 30" cinema display (MBP needs to be kept closed). MBP kept hidden out of sight and every time it came apart (waaay to often) it was a hassle to get to the track pad of the MBP to reestablish the bluetooth connection (which for some reason did not happen automatically).

I'll take hot corners for expose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, agree. But a piece of tape over that catch solves the problem
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    I love the look of it. Typical Apple mesmerizing design.

But gee whiz, am I the only one who's invested in and become hooked on a third-party multi-function mouse? My Logitech MX Revolution is like a frikkin' race car. The scroll wheel has settable acceleration so you give it a flick with your finger and it responds by scrolling an entire page relative to the amount of "spin" your finger puts on the wheel. Plus by simply nudging that same wheel either left or right, you scroll in that direction. Perfectly positioned buttons near the thumb allow forward and back paging. A wheel at the thumb allows volume control of my speakers. Highlight a line of text and a little programmable button in front of the top scroll wheel automatically opens a google search for the highlighted text. But wait! There's more! It has it's own charging cradle. It's accuracy and tracking is superb. And the two "normal" mouse-click buttons are completely programmable to do almost anything (except laundry).

I challenge any one of you to a race right now. Your puny Magic Mouse against my MX. You'll be looking at the back of my USB port before you know what happened.
    I'm with you, Tim. I don't like the general Logitech attitude towards the Mac OS over the years, but I use their mouses. You could give me all the free Apple mouses you'd like and they'll be in the same drawer with the others. I only use them when doing certain system diagnostics (when a third-party peripheral can cause errors).

To be fair, I've not tried the new Apple Magic Mushroom Mouse (also not on SL for specific reasons), but I only have interest in watching others have fun with it. I prefer the Logitech design, though not the aesthetic.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, agree. But a piece of tape over that catch solves the problem
    Yeah . . until the tape starts getting caught on the wood grain . . . and then the battery runs out (again).

The battery for the new one looks good . . . I've used it for three days and it says 87%

I think I might buy some shares in a battery company!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    I'm with you, Tim. I don't like the general Logitech attitude towards the Mac OS over the years, but I use their mouses. You could give me all the free Apple mouses you'd like and they'll be in the same drawer with the others. I only use them when doing certain system diagnostics (when a third-party peripheral can cause errors).

To be fair, I've not tried the new Apple Magic Mushroom Mouse (also not on SL for specific reasons), but I only have interest in watching others have fun with it. I prefer the Logitech design, though not the aesthetic.
    I used them for years, but in the end the usb port connection and the little box drove me crazy - so I'm a convert from the logitech tech to the Apple aesthetic. . . .

the magic mouse sits next to a 17"mpb very elegantly!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, I was just having some fun, and I'll bet it's a very elegant combo. I don't travel with a mouse these days (at least not much), but I could see it as a great solution, avoiding any need for dongles, cords, etc.

I haven't liked Apples mouse access to "right click" functions because I use it constantly in coding work (not my main gig, but it consumes a lot of my time). Maybe this mouse is better than any of the previous iterations. As I said, I've not tried one yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just turned mine on. Pretty interesting so far . Scroll is MUCH better. Little slow for me but everyone yells at me my mouse is to fast with tracking.

Tell you right now the the travel mouse is making it's way to the garbage bin or the kids. This will be nice to travel with with. Very slim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay two finger swipe is pretty slick with back and forth on web pages. Right click is something to get used too , your index finger needs to be off the mouse but mine does it naturally anyway with middle finger doing right click. But will it help my spelling . NOT

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, I was just having some fun, and I'll bet it's a very elegant combo. I don't travel with a mouse these days (at least not much), but I could see it as a great solution, avoiding any need for dongles, cords, etc.

I haven't liked Apples mouse access to "right click" functions because I use it constantly in coding work (not my main gig, but it consumes a lot of my time). Maybe this mouse is better than any of the previous iterations. As I said, I've not tried one yet.
    Hmm yes, the right click . . what you do is:

move your finger over to the right hand side of the mouse . ..
    click.

I like to use a real mouse at client sites if I'm doing anything serious, but certainly that kind of functionality is all there now.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But will it help my spelling . NOT
    Their is absolutely nothing wrong with your spelling Guy. If they're is some kind of mouse which would improve things, then I reckon there too clever by half.
    Last edited by jonoslack; 2nd November 2009 at 09:14. Reason: to correct the capitalisation of Guy's name from guy

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But will it help my spelling .
    There is this little program inside Snow Leopard called "Spelling and Grammar" that is on by default to check spelling as you type. It does a bright red underline -- oh never mind....

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

There is this little program inside Snow Leopard -- that is on by default -- called "Spelling and Grammar" and it does a bright red underline -- never mind....
    And Leopard, and Tiger, and...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is this little program inside Snow Leopard -- that is on by default -- called "Spelling and Grammar" and it does a bright red underline -- never mind....
    Jack - you have no sense of romance.
    Guy's spelling is charming - this place would be a lesser place without it.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend (a very successful businessman, in fact) who types EXACTLY as does Guy. In fact, I should try to call each of them at the same time to make sure that they're really not the same person.

Every now and then my friend throws me a curve by putting a paragraph break in a long e-mail.

Yep, we love Guy's style.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey this mouse is pretty nice after about 15 minutes already getting the hang of it. Yes Jack i know all about that little program with spelling and grammar. My response it doe's not know jack **** about spelling and grammar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"My response it doe's not know jack **** about spelling and grammar.'

Takes one to know one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a friend (a very successful businessman, in fact) who types EXACTLY as does Guy. In fact, I should try to call each of them at the same time to make sure that they're really not the same person.

Every now and then my friend throws me a curve by putting a paragraph break in a long e-mail.

Yep, we love Guy's style.
    But I bet your fnreid atclluay uses preidos now and tehn to cratee autcal snetcenes idsine his pragarhaps?

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    "My response it doe's not know jack **** about spelling and grammar.'

Takes one to know one.
    Exactly . LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But I bet your fnreid atclluay uses preidos now and tehn to cratee autcal snetcenes idsine his pragarhaps?

Scary i actually could read that

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Scary i actually could read that
    Heck, we'd all only be surprised if you couldn't read it!

Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As a moderator should I consider this cruel and inhuman punishment worthy of banning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

YES ban the SOB. You should know though it would be a waste of time since you can't ban a admin.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

YES ban the SOB. You should know though it would be a waste of time since you can't ban a admin.
    Sounds like you've tried!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glad to see that getDPI has it's priorities right.

I notice that Jack is an Admistrator - quite right too.

I also notice that Guy is an Administrator / Instructor

Still - perhaps I'm on thin ice here . . .all you grand Administrator and Moderator people bickering - - I'd better watch my step

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds like you've tried!!!
    You Bet

nei1

i did it before pairing
    No apple sauce then

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tihs lnik may hlep wehn dreniiphecg one of Guy's pstos.

http://www.stevesachs.com/jumbler.cgi

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack Flesher
    Super Administrator

What's up with that ? LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GRIN
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack Flesher
    Super Administrator

What's up with that ? LOL
    I only really respect

super duper administrators

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Careful what you wish for -- and what color (and size) you wish for it in!

(Of course now everybody reading your posts in the other forums is wondering WTF is going on!)

Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Careful what you wish for -- and what color (and size) you wish for it in!

(Of course now everybody reading your posts in the other forums is wondering WTF is going on!)

Touche . . . and with no possible revenge . . . .

Still . . . it could be worse

. . . and is that how you really spell Duper?
    Last edited by jonoslack; 2nd November 2009 at 15:08.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, that is exactly how "Duper" is spelled when used in conjunction with "Super"

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Touche . . . and with no possible revenge . . . .

Still . . . it could be worse

. . . and is that how you really spell Duper?
    Geez go catch a 5 minute nap and Jono is Super Duper in Red no less.