The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Apple's new Magic Mouse - Love it !!!

Terry

Picked up the new mouse today. If you haven't figured it out yet, I love it :thumbs:!!

About a year ago I wrote to Apple about making a stand alone track pad to mimic the laptop trackpad. They did it one better with the combined mouse track pad.

Scrolling is simple (much better than a wheel or the little ball on the mighty mouse. Two fingers left or right acts as a forwards or backwards button. Hold control and slide one finger to zoom the screen in an out.

I know I had a problem popping the back off the mighty mouse and losing my connection. That seems to be resolved with a smaller latch and it is more recessed than before. Only time will tell but I'm pretty sure it will be better.

Also, it is much flatter than the old mouse and therefore will take up less space if you like to travel with a mouse.

I know the little things get me really excited :D.

Thank You Apple!!!

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hi Terry
I got mine on Friday :). I did a lot of work with it then, and got a stiff arm, but maybe it was just unfamiliarity. I also miss the squeeze on the old mouse which I had set to do spaces - in fact, although the scrolling is a great improvement, there are actually less things you can do with it.

But hey - I'm sounding grumpy, I'm really enjoying mine, and it certainly does look cool next to my nice 17" unibody :):)

Terry

I also miss the squeeze on the old mouse which I had set to do spaces - in fact, although the scrolling is a great improvement, there are actually less things you can do with it.
LOL - I always got my spaces mixed up so I gave up on using them.

jonoslack

Hi Terry

I did it before pairing as well . . . it's a surprisingly large download considering the mouse pretty much as reduced functionality. At least, it does on Leopard . . . I'm one of the 3 people in the known universe who has been bright enough not to upgrade yet:p:p

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I love the look of it. Typical Apple mesmerizing design.

But gee whiz, am I the only one who's invested in and become hooked on a third-party multi-function mouse? My Logitech MX Revolution is like a frikkin' race car. The scroll wheel has settable acceleration so you give it a flick with your finger and it responds by scrolling an entire page relative to the amount of "spin" your finger puts on the wheel. Plus by simply nudging that same wheel either left or right, you scroll in that direction. Perfectly positioned buttons near the thumb allow forward and back paging. A wheel at the thumb allows volume control of my speakers. Highlight a line of text and a little programmable button in front of the top scroll wheel automatically opens a google search for the highlighted text. But wait! There's more! It has it's own charging cradle. It's accuracy and tracking is superb. And the two "normal" mouse-click buttons are completely programmable to do almost anything (except laundry).

I challenge any one of you to a race right now. Your puny Magic Mouse against my MX. You'll be looking at the back of my USB port before you know what happened. ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Terry
I got mine on Friday :). I did a lot of work with it then, and got a stiff arm, but maybe it was just unfamiliarity. I also miss the squeeze on the old mouse which I had set to do spaces - in fact, although the scrolling is a great improvement, there are actually less things you can do with it.

But hey - I'm sounding grumpy, I'm really enjoying mine, and it certainly does look cool next to my nice 17" unibody :):)
Jono,

EXACTLY why I am NOT a candidate for the "new" mouse! I use the squeeze for expose' all the time, and have the center button set for spaces. And since I can scroll every way I need to with the miniball, I so no advantage to the new mouse other than the typical Apple "gottahaveit" hype it's trendy and cool marketing...

My only gripe with my current wireless minimouse is it eats batteries -- I probably have to replace the AA's three times per year. Maybe I'll get the wired minimouse when this one craps out. Heck, maybe I should buy one before Apple discontinues it!

Or maybe I am just grumpy too,

jonoslack

Jono,

EXACTLY why I am NOT a candidate for the "new" mouse! I use the squeeze for expose' all the time, and have the center button set for spaces. And since I can scroll every way I need to with the miniball, I so no advantage to the new mouse other than the typical Apple "gottahaveit" hype it's trendy and cool marketing...
Well, I had it another way around (squeeze for spaces, centre button for right click, as the right click sometimes didn't).

I've put expose on the top left corner, and spaces on the top right, and that seems to work pretty well. the scrolling is much better though.

My only gripe with my current wireless minimouse is it eats batteries -- I probably have to replace the AA's three times per year.
Gordon Bennett - how do you manage that! I'm lucky if they last a month!!!!
Maybe I'll get the wired minimouse when this one craps out. Heck, maybe I should buy one before Apple discontinues it!

Or maybe I am just grumpy too,
Yes, call me grumpy if you want . . . just don't call me a fanboy:ROTFL:

One great irritation with the old mouse (which is now fixed on the new one) is that if you used it on a rough surface (like my studio table), then the battery catch would catch on something, thus ditching the batteries and losing the connection (very irritating).

Terry

One great irritation with the old mouse (which is now fixed on the new one) is that if you used it on a rough surface (like my studio table), then the battery catch would catch on something, thus ditching the batteries and losing the connection (very irritating).
EXACTLY! and my problem was my setup: 15" MBP with 30" cinema display (MBP needs to be kept closed). MBP kept hidden out of sight and every time it came apart (waaay to often) it was a hassle to get to the track pad of the MBP to reestablish the bluetooth connection (which for some reason did not happen automatically).

I'll take hot corners for expose.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, agree. But a piece of tape over that catch solves the problem ;)

Dale Allyn

I love the look of it. Typical Apple mesmerizing design.

But gee whiz, am I the only one who's invested in and become hooked on a third-party multi-function mouse? My Logitech MX Revolution is like a frikkin' race car. The scroll wheel has settable acceleration so you give it a flick with your finger and it responds by scrolling an entire page relative to the amount of "spin" your finger puts on the wheel. Plus by simply nudging that same wheel either left or right, you scroll in that direction. Perfectly positioned buttons near the thumb allow forward and back paging. A wheel at the thumb allows volume control of my speakers. Highlight a line of text and a little programmable button in front of the top scroll wheel automatically opens a google search for the highlighted text. But wait! There's more! It has it's own charging cradle. It's accuracy and tracking is superb. And the two "normal" mouse-click buttons are completely programmable to do almost anything (except laundry).

I challenge any one of you to a race right now. Your puny Magic Mouse against my MX. You'll be looking at the back of my USB port before you know what happened. ;)
I'm with you, Tim. I don't like the general Logitech attitude towards the Mac OS over the years, but I use their mouses. You could give me all the free Apple mouses you'd like and they'll be in the same drawer with the others. I only use them when doing certain system diagnostics (when a third-party peripheral can cause errors).

To be fair, I've not tried the new Apple Magic Mushroom Mouse (also not on SL for specific reasons), but I only have interest in watching others have fun with it. I prefer the Logitech design, though not the aesthetic. :)

jonoslack

Yeah, agree. But a piece of tape over that catch solves the problem ;)
Yeah . . until the tape starts getting caught on the wood grain . . . and then the battery runs out (again).

The battery for the new one looks good . . . I've used it for three days and it says 87% :eek::ROTFL:

I think I might buy some shares in a battery company!

jonoslack

I'm with you, Tim. I don't like the general Logitech attitude towards the Mac OS over the years, but I use their mouses. You could give me all the free Apple mouses you'd like and they'll be in the same drawer with the others. I only use them when doing certain system diagnostics (when a third-party peripheral can cause errors).

To be fair, I've not tried the new Apple Magic Mushroom Mouse (also not on SL for specific reasons), but I only have interest in watching others have fun with it. I prefer the Logitech design, though not the aesthetic. :)
I used them for years, but in the end the usb port connection and the little box drove me crazy - so I'm a convert from the logitech tech to the Apple aesthetic. . . .

the magic mouse sits next to a 17"mpb very elegantly!

Dale Allyn

Jono, I was just having some fun, and I'll bet it's a very elegant combo. I don't travel with a mouse these days (at least not much), but I could see it as a great solution, avoiding any need for dongles, cords, etc.

I haven't liked Apples mouse access to "right click" functions because I use it constantly in coding work (not my main gig, but it consumes a lot of my time). Maybe this mouse is better than any of the previous iterations. As I said, I've not tried one yet. :)