The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mystery Lowepro bag - detectives wanted

lowep

As you can see from my homepage I have used this old Lowepro backpack a lot since I bought it in a NY camera discount store more than 10 years ago - mostly to shelter my Graflex 4x5 system.

Now like the Graflex (and me) the bag is showing so many signs of wear and tear not to mention the busted YKK zip that even I have to agree with my wife that it needs to be replaced.

There is only so much you can do with twine and pliers.:deadhorse:

But much to my chagrin I cannot find the name of this model anywhere on the internet. Hence this appeal to any knowledgeable gear afficiando. If you can identify the name of the model of this Lowepro backpack or even hazard a guess I will be very grateful.

Even better if you have a used one for sale!

Alternatively the model name of a bag with very similar characteristics would be very much appreciated - particularly if it costs less than a Leica S2.

What I really like about this back is the backpack harness that easily folds up and disappears behind a cloth panel that can be unzipped and rolled up under the bag when it is being used as a backpack. Also the absence of fancy straps, pockets, and other bells and whistles on the outside that easily identifies many similar models as a camera bag.

The label on the back of the bag says "Lowe-PRO by LOWE ALPINE SYSTEMS INC MADE IN USA" That's it!

Here is a snapshot of this mystery bag:

lowep

Probably right - though as far as I can see the Trekker AW bag is not as solid (ie bangproof) and doesn't offer the option of folding away the shoulder straps behind a zip-up panel?

To me the difference seems comparable to older 4WDs compared to newer SUV soft roaders. But maybe I am biased?

bensonga

Hard to tell from your photo....but I have a large Lowe Pro Photo Trekker AW backpack that is at least 10 years old (teal and black color) and it's very well made. The shoulder straps can be completely enclosed behind a zip-up panel on the back. The pack I have is large enough for my Pentax 67 and 5-6 lenses, etc.

Gary

bensonga

It's similar to mine, but not quite the same. I'll post a pic of mine here when I get home this evening. Great bag, in any case.

Gary

bensonga

Here are a few pics of my Lowe Pro Photo Trekker AW backpack.....if this is of any help to you!

You can see how the backpack shoulder straps and waist strap are completely tucked away and hidden behind the zip pocket on the back of the pack.

Ok, so I am perhaps a bit little anal retentive with the plastic bags and bubble wrap.....one can never be too careful, right? :)

Gary

Last edited:
T

tetsrfun

If you actually hike with you backpack, you might look at the Gura Gear Kiboko....it has a harness system that is designed for hiking and the harness can be hidden away for airline and other travel. Most camera backpacks have the user carrying the weight on the shoulder straps instead of the pelvic bones where the weight should be carried for extended comfort.

Steve

lowep

Gary - thanks for posting the pics of your bag that looks like new even though you say it is at least 10 years old. When I google the model you specify "Lowe Pro Photo Trekker AW backpack" all I can find is the "Lowe Pro Photo Trekker AW II" that must be a later version and as far as I can see does not include the hideaway harness.

The Kiboko seems to be a great bag and if it was used on Everest it is also good enough for everywhere else - though the $399 price tag gives some pause for thought. I guess you get what you pay for and if you want top quality that also means paying top $$$ unless of course you make your own.

Now I am thinking about trying to replace the zip on my old bag -- but maybe climbing Everest is easier?

lowep

Any suggestions about how the Lowepro Photo Trekker Classic compares with the Domke Outpack backpack?

Both seem to have tuckaway harnesses and both seem to be about the same size?

How about strength of fabric and zips?

Lars

I've used Trekkers for the last ten years - Mini Trekker AW, Photo Trekker AW II, Super Trekker AW II. Especially the Supertrekker has been great, loaded up with some 30 kgs of large format gear.

I only have one piece of Domke gear, a waistpack. In the store I was never as impressed with Domke build quality compared to Lowepro.

bensonga

+1 on the quality of Lowe Pro bags....I've used them for 20+ years, but generally speaking, I don't put them to hard use.

Gary

bensonga

I could put my teal/black Lowe Pro Photo Trekker AW backpack (see above photos) to the ultimate test by throwing it across the street to my neighbor's full grown labs (one black, one yellow). They are great dogs, but they are pretty hard on their toys or anything else they can play with (ie chew on, toss in the air, tug and fight over).

If it survives 24 hours with them, it will probably hold up to the toughest photographic conditions most of us are likely to encounter.

On the other hand....my Trekker still looks like new and I'm embarrassed to say, I sorta like it that way. :eek:

Gary

lowep

... this could become a dog fight

now think tank is also giving food for thought

variables being considered as I attempt to make a good rather than bag decision:

(1) style: looks and functions like an expensive camera bag should versus looks like a no-name shopping bag and works no better than a shopping bag, (2) size: big enough for moving around with everything versus just big enough for the street kit (3) harness system: solid enough for comfort versus small enough to fold away and take up minimum space (4) price: expensive and high quality versus affordable and easy to replace (5) light weight versus solid (6) lots of zippers for easy accessibility versus simple & secure (7) lightweight shiny thin fabric versus heavier fabric, (8, 9,10)...

obviously need at least 10 bags - maybe designed in such a way that they all fit inside each other just like the car in the cartoon with a skate board in the boot - but then there would be no space for the camera gear?

starting to understand why some people post perfectly good barely used camera bags for sale because they have ended up with too many of them.

I guess they all work fine enough :thumbs:

Lars

Yeah it's like shopping for a nice suit, you have to get to the store and try it out. Online shopping isn't for everything.