The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New to Mac/Apple

robsteve

Subscriber
I just bought a new Macbook Pro to bring to the workshop. I have been a windows guy all my life, but it has come to the point where the Mackbooks are quite a bit cheaper than the equivalent high end PC such as a thinkpad.

A few things bugging me so far.

The safari web browser seems to be a bit sluggish compare to IE 7 and it isn't tabbed. What is the fastest browser with tabs?

I can't seem to be able to find the signal strength of the wireless, just that it is connected. When I go to the top of the screen and click the wireless icon it shows airport scanning.

Robert

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Robert

Safari is Tabbed on my Windows machine.
Ctrl-Click opens a link in a new Tab. (Probably Command Click on the Apple).
Ctrl-Shift-Click opens a link in a new Tab and selects it.

You can change some of these settings in the preferences.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Geeze... You guys should call Apple and get sponsored just like you do from Leica.
:p
-the lone PC guy on the getDPI forums.

Terry

So let me ask a dumb question but I have gotten myself into tabs and don't seem to like it when I'm there. What are the benefits?

robsteve

Subscriber
I am firefox now. Seems quicker.

I have rescuepro software on a mini cd. Will these min cds go into the slot load superdrive?

robsteve

Subscriber
So let me ask a dumb question but I have gotten myself into tabs and don't seem to like it when I'm there. What are the benefits?
Some of us like having a bunch of windows open at a time. It saves time switching between windows. It is also easy to see what is in each window more easily. More organized than having a bunch of windows scattered across the desktop.

Robert

Terry

You will have to teach me in Carmel. Another way to stay organized between apps is to use spaces. Takes some time to get used.

robsteve

Subscriber
What is the thing at the bottom of the screen with the applications on it called? How do I control what is there. In other words, get rid of a lot of the iLife stuff.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
First off, Safari can run tabbed or not tabbed.

Second, the thing at the bottom is called the "Dock" and you remove stuff from it or add them to it by dragging them off or dragging them on. That easy :)

Terry

It is called the dock. On the Apple menu it is right there or you go into system preferences also in the apple menu top left. You can change where it is and how it works. To add apps to the dock in the finder Icon with the face on the doc you can go into applications and simply drag it there. To remove something hold the mouse key down over it and you will get a menu that has remove from dock as a choice

robsteve

Subscriber
Thanks, got the dock organized.

BTW, what is the superuser password? Doesn't seem to be the same as my password.

robsteve

Subscriber
i've never used one before. I gather that is like an administrator.
I figured it out with a google. The root user account is not enabled by default in OsX. I will leave it that way.

In Unix, or Max OsX, the root user is like God, more priviledges than even the admin. This can lead to problems if you do the wrong thing logged in as root.

Robert

robsteve

Subscriber
BTW, the spell check is showing my misspelled words, but I can figure out how to bring up the list of how it thinks they should be spelled.

Terry

I guess and if I really can't figure it out I go to the dashboard where there is a dictionary widget. Like all the new lingo dock, dashboard, widgets, spaces.....welcome.