Site Sponsors

Thread: New laptops - SU7300, Core i7

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New laptops - SU7300, Core i7

I upgraded my portable arsenal over the last two months: A tiny Samsung X120 and a HP Envy 15.

The HP is a 15.6" 1080p all metal laptop, 2.4 kg, Core i7 720QM CPU, 4x2GB memory but can take up to 16GB. Win7 x64.

The Samsung, as a contrast, is a 11.6" 1.5 kg lightweight, Core 2 Duo SU7300, 4GB mem also running Win7 x64.

Very different machines. Both have SD slots, neither has built-in optical drive. The Samsung is all plastic (but well built), the HP lightweight magnesium. The Samsung is always cool to the touch, the HP never goes below lukewarm unless idling.

The Samsung gets me 6-9 hours of real battery life; the HP about 2.5 hours (5-6 hours with the extra battery slice).

Very different computers, each with a purpose. Nine hours on battery is pretty cool (literally). So is seeing eight virtual cores chew through image processing.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New laptops - SU7300, Core i7

That Samsung looks nice!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yep it's a sweet little thing. Sort of what a netbook should have been. That SU7300 processor is great, hums along at only 10W peak power.
    Last edited by Lars; 24th January 2010 at 08:38.

Oxide Blu

Congrats on your new machines. A couple of months ago I bought a Lenovo S10-2e netbook for 'brains' -- she loves it. Opt'd for the HDD because of concerns of data loss with the SSD option. Not enough oomph for serious photo editing, but a nice little machine for surfing the web, watching DVDs with an external Samsung SE-S084 DVD RW.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post

... The Samsung is all plastic (but well built),

Are you sure it is all plastic?!? I thought computers had strategically designed metal shielding inside to contain stray radiation to stay within govt (FCC/EU) standards, and a metal pan on the inside bottom to contain burning component insulation/plastic in the event of a catastrophic electrical failure, usually under the pwr supply area, to comply with (UL/TUV/etc) safety certification stds. The need for metal inside has caused on-going weight and cooling problems for laptop designers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oxide Blu View Post
    Are you sure it is all plastic?!? I thought computers had strategically designed metal shielding inside to contain stray radiation to stay within govt (FCC/EU) standards, and a metal pan on the inside bottom to contain burning component insulation/plastic in the event of a catastrophic electrical failure, usually under the pwr supply area, to comply with (UL/TUV/etc) safety certification stds. The need for metal inside has caused on-going weight and cooling problems for laptop designers.
    No, I'm not sure. I opened it briefly to verify that there are two removable memory slots. All structural parts are plastic, with spray-on conductive paint. There might have been some foil too, but definitely no sheet-metal except over wireless components.

hellcreig

Hi.
    Do you have review about other versions(i3 and i5) with other brands like Dell, Compaque or else ?