Site Sponsors
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: IPad Discussions

DougDolde

Re: IPad Discussions

Why not upgrade your Aircard to the Sierra Wireless Overdrive WIFI hotspot? Then you don't have to deal with a card adapter, that thing only has USB ports.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Why not upgrade your Aircard to the Sierra Wireless Overdrive WIFI hotspot? Then you don't have to deal with a card adapter, that thing only has USB ports.
    As I understand this would require for me a new contract and I have very good one and know the Aircard works quite well.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

DougDolde

Is it worth it considering you are stuck with a Palm Pre?

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    I'll take the credit. Glad you were able to take advantage, Diane! That's some deal, getting the $60/mo charge for nothing.

Here is the link again, if anyone is interested: http://bit.ly/b6kRFT

DougDolde

I looked at a Palm Pre in person. Definitely not impressed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I looked at a Palm Pre in person. Definitely not impressed.
    Interesting. I haven't played with one but the Pre got very good reviews.

DougDolde

Maybe if you'd never seen an iPhone it would be just OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe if you'd never seen an iPhone it would be just OK.

Depends how much you care about the phone part of the iPhone. I for one don't care about the iPhone at all (too small screen).

Uwe
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Since we now have a Palm Pre and a Touch, I prefer using the Touch for many things, but the Palm is just fine for a phone, contacts, mail for my husband--and whatever else he chooses (there are apps he is happy enough with). The big drawing card is the mobile hotspot for me. We had non-smartphones--so this is a step up for phone. That being said--I immediately looked for an app for an onscreen keyboard LOL (there's one coming)--but my husband, whose hands are larger than mine, is using the keyboard without too much problem.

I am not sure I really like the way you move about--its different, but you can have a number of things open at once. I haven't used it enough to have much more to say--except it is a great deal for us---the phone was free (we had free upgrade coming) and its 2 for one, so I take the receipt back after the 13th and before the 21st (the deal is only for 1 month) and I get my phone free also. We stayed at the same minutes, took off some other stuff (texting which we never use--and V Cast) and added the $29.95 data and VErizon is charging nothing for the mobile hotspot 'for a limited time' (not so with Droid and others) so we came out with essentially the same billing cost There is speculation that it was done to pick up some Ipad wifi owners--and it does go off just about the time the 3Gs come out--so make of it what you will LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it worth it considering you are stuck with a Palm Pre?
    Its fine for me---we needed new phones--which I use for phone only, have a Touch. I have free mobile hotspot, 2 phones were free (really--we paid nothing except for a car chargerd because we were up for a free upgrade and its a 2fer)--my husband isn't into all the 'stuff' on a phone--he needs contacts, email--as its basically his 'office'. The nice thing is if he wants a bit more he has it without paying any premium for it. We now have a mobile hotspot for laptop, Touch and Ipad when I get one--great for on the road as Verizon has very good coverage.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK,
    I just got home and my camera connection kit is here. So, time to do some work. In the meantime feast yourself on this linked post! This looks extremely promising to me. I'm subscribed to a thread on Apple support that led me to this post at DPReview. More in an hour or so hopefully with some iPad screen shots. I'm going to try and take a RAW file into Photogene and see what happens.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=35132092

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One other thing, in the instructions it does say that you can connect your iphone to your iPad and get the pictures from the iPhone over to the iPad.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woooohoooooo !!!!! You don't need to shoot RAW + Jpeg !!!!!!!! I just imported G1 RAW file onto the iPad, went to a third party App to edit.

First up....RAW file displayed on screen (simple screen shot). I know people will say this is the jpeg sidecar which is fine just making the point that I only loaded in RAW files)

Next I went to the App Photogene and used the RAW !!!! file and converted it to B&W. If this is the embedded jpeg Panasonic uses some kickass embedded jpegs. So, can't tell if Apple stuck some of the iPhoto/Aperture RAW conversion into the photo viewer.

Then I saved the Photogene conversion and you can see it shows up on the front screen. Notice the first stack has the B&W, the second stack is the last import (RAW files), the third stack are all imports.

The only PITA with iPhone and iPad is everytime you email something it uses the name photo.jpg, if you have two files it is photo, photo2, photo3...but I you need to remember to rename files when you save somewhere else. I would like to give Apple feedback that a unique filename maybe with the date or something would be more useful for all devices.

Next thing I just tried is to email myself a RAW file.
    Large image shows in email and when you go to save the file it is still an RW2 file - so the original is maintained.

I am TOTALLY PSYCHED !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Terry; 22nd April 2010 at 20:21.

Post Thanks / Like

Terry,

that sound not too bad. But now the interesting parts are:

1. Can you import selectively
    1a. Can you preview from card without importing
    2. Can iTunes copy these RAWs back
    3. As you mention naming is important
    4. How fast is the import

Photogene is very impressive for $3.99

Uwe
    Last edited by ustein; 22nd April 2010 at 18:31.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry,

that sound not too bad. But now the interesting parts are:

1. Can you import selectively
    Yes - you pick and chose the files and can see small thumbnails to select from]

1a. Can you preview from card without importing
    Yes just take the card out

2. Can iTunes copy these RAWs back
    Yes - there is a post from DPReview that I linked to above. You don't really do it from iTunes I think you simply go into iPhoto when the iPad is connected to the computer. I will try LR and see what I can do.

3. As you mention naming is important
    If you go from the iPad to iPhoto or other App it retains the name. In email it doesn't. I will play more with going from the iPad to the computer but my workflow would be to keep the files on the SD card and copy that card to my home computer later and not go from iPad to computer.

4. How fast is the import
    Fast enough on the four RAW files that it didn't even dawn on me to time it.

Post Thanks / Like

The iPad has potential to become a digital wallet and instant viewer.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Next update....

I connected my iPad to my computer.

Lightroom - the files I added are available for import with their original names. There are other files that the iPad is looking to import so it will take me a bit of time to decipher how LR decided what files are available for import.

Bridge - I haven't found the files or a way to go straight into bridge

iPhoto - the files are all there for import

Aperture - the files are there for import

C1 - I did not see the files show up in the list of folders to chose from

Finder - the iPad did not show up
    Last edited by Terry; 22nd April 2010 at 19:52.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    The iPad has potential to become a digital wallet and instant viewer.
    Uwe - this is an excerpt from the DPReview post....I think it is only a matter of time until an App is written

"Interestingly, when the D700 is connected to the iPad, it is still fully functional. So it can take pictures. Pictures taken show up on the iPad as thumbnails immediately. This sounds encouraging for using the iPad as a real-time viewer. Unfortunately, in order to see the image full screen you have to import it and then view it in the Photos app. This is too laborious to be useful. Perhaps someone will write an app to make a viewer out of the iPad."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Uwe - this is an excerpt from the DPReview post....I think it is only a matter of time until an App is written

"Interestingly, when the D700 is connected to the iPad, it is still fully functional. So it can take pictures. Pictures taken show up on the iPad as thumbnails immediately. This sounds encouraging for using the iPad as a real-time viewer. Unfortunately, in order to see the image full screen you have to import it and then view it in the Photos app. This is too laborious to be useful. Perhaps someone will write an app to make a viewer out of the iPad."
    I read this and hope for a viewer app.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

and I just heard from a little bird in Cupertino that they have the iMovie app running on the iPad, so it is only a matter of time before it becomes more a mobile viewer....

Do not know more and if I did, I could not talk about it ;-) Exciting times ahead....looking like the 64GB model be coming in a bit "light" on storage soon ;-)

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    ..looking like the 64GB model be coming in a bit "light" on storage soon ;-)

LJ
    That is why I got the 64GB version in the first place.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Me too
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Even 64 isn't enough though. Bring on 256

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea with a 40 mpx back it will come up short. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woooohoooooo !!!!! You don't need to shoot RAW + Jpeg !!!!!!!! I just imported G1 RAW file onto the iPad, went to a third party App to edit.
    I am TOTALLY PSYCHED !!!!!!!!
    Hrumph - I would be as well!

Actually, thanks for this Terry - it sounds to me to be just wonderful - I'm not sure that I'd really want to do much manipulation on a trip, but the idea that you can download the card to the ipad, cull the rubbish on a decent screen and then upload to Aperture the original files when you get home sounds really splendid to me.

As for 64gb being too little . .. that's nearly 2000 A900 RAW files what do you guys do!!!!! The honest truth is that I'm happy if I get 20 good shots on a trip - no - let's be honest, after a two week trip I guess I might have 1000 shots - but only because I haven't thrown away the 600 dull ones yet! That's where the ipad will help:

1. Download SSD to ipad
    2. put SSD away safely until you get home
    3. cull rubbish on ipad while sitting at bar with drink
    4. get home and import decent photos to Aperture
    5. Smile

. . . Okay Okay - I just checked over some weddings - the biggest one has a little over 20Gb data - last trip to Crete is about the same, but that includes tiff files made from excursions to Silver efex pro etc. I'd say a 64gb ipad will do just fine for everything I'm likely to do. The whole of this year so far (3 trips and lots more) is only 40Gb!

Nice to see that there is another camera raw update from Apple as well - they're obviously getting their act together.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay guys ... help out a geek challenged photographer here. Make it remedial please

Now if I get one of these new fangled iPad devices ...

Can I upload files to the iPad and then send them to an off-sight storage site? Like if I shot all day on a trip, or a destination wedding, and then that
    evening I sent them to one of my on-line storage vaults over-night while I slept ... would that work?

What do you need to do that besides the iPad?

Inquiring small minds want to know

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc,
    I don't know if your scenario is feasible. More testing would have to be done. I am not sure what program you would use for the file to be sent to the offsite. One of the things Apple has done on the iPad is "shield" the user from files and folders. There is no finder. Because of that, there would have to be some App that you use that could select the files and send them to where you need.

A few things that might illustrate this. If you go to Safari and then getdpi's website and then try and upload photos to this forum, when you get to the page where you make the selection of shots, the buttons you would need to push are grayed out.

If you go attach the iPad to your mac, you won't see the iPad as a drive in the finder. You will see the iPad in iTunes but I didn't find a way to properly offload the photos that way.

If you connect the iPad to a laptop, and you open LR/Aperture/iPhoto all three programs see the iPad and allow you to import the photos from it. However, then you have both the iPad and the Laptop/Desktop side by side which is what you are trying to avoid when travelings.

That takes me back to something App based where the App is almost like an FTP (if I'm using the terminology correctly) and is simply sending your files to something in the ether. I have no idea how fast or slow this would be but at the very least you would want to probably be on fast wifi and not 3G.

Not sure if this is making sense but ask away withe more questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is what I was looking for
    Mike

website under construction

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono - I don't plan on doing much editing with the iPad. However, on a casual weekend away when I am taking some pictures, my friends or family would like to see the shots or have me email some to them. This way I can load up the files. Pick some that they would want. Make some basic crops or corrections (enough to satisfy them for screen viewing in email) and send the files on. I could see the scenario that I would want to upload a few files to the forum. However, for the moment that can't be done (as the upload controls are grayed out when you try to - someone need to modify forum software to interact with iPad or write an app for that).

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Now if I get one of these new fangled iPad devices ...

Can I upload files to the iPad and then send them to an off-sight storage site? Like if I shot all day on a trip, or a destination wedding, and then that
    evening I sent them to one of my on-line storage vaults over-night while I slept ... would that work?

What do you need to do that besides the iPad?

Inquiring small minds want to know

-Marc

Marc,

It looks possible with the following application...depending upon file size and storage ability of the site.

http://mobile.eurosmartz.com/products/printcentral.html

This program has answered my printing and file transfer needs ... along with DocstoGo for the iPhone and soon to be iPad...now that I have used this on the iPhone. It is very robust and quite sophisticated, quite worth the investment. It supports uploading files to iDisk with WebDAV or MobileMe

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono - I don't plan on doing much editing with the iPad. However, on a casual weekend away when I am taking some pictures, my friends or family would like to see the shots or have me email some to them. This way I can load up the files. Pick some that they would want. Make some basic crops or corrections (enough to satisfy them for screen viewing in email) and send the files on. I could see the scenario that I would want to upload a few files to the forum. However, for the moment that can't be done (as the upload controls are grayed out when you try to - someone need to modify forum software to interact with iPad or write an app for that).
    Trying loading a Phase file.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Trying loading a Phase file.

Still - Terry - what's it like with an A900 file?

Terry - your point about showing people, making mods and emailing them the shot sounds good and sensible.

Marc - not sure if air sharing HD would do your trick for you ? (great app)
    all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe start a new forum called Padders. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The A900 needs to be connected with the USB cord, which I've done.
    Here is a screen shot - sorry it isn't rotated not sure how with a screen print PNG file.

For these 19 (24MP) RAW files it took under 1 minute to load (I wish the clock app were on iPad)

Then I took one of the RAWs and imported to Photogene (best app I've found) and increased exposure, converted to B&W, adjusted highlight and shadows, saved at original size, emailed to myself, used my laptop to upload to the forum (the missing link from the iPad). The file size is 1080x1660. I did read the the iPad makes you work on about a 3mp file - this is small but this is fine for what I would do to email or upload. This smaller file is for working on it only - the iPad preserves the original files. I then connected the iPad to my laptop went into LR and imported one of the RAWs and it imported at the full untouched file size.

This is the exif from the RAW file I imported from the iPad to LR and you can see the full file

Please these shots were testing out something on the camera. They are not artistic.
    Last edited by Terry; 23rd April 2010 at 07:11.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so I'm sure I understand. if I import RAW files it will be possible to view them--or only in, for instance, the app you mention? Or did I miss something?

Ahem......Went back up to your (Terry) first post--and as I read it, you import, open with Photogene if you want to process a bit, but for just viewing and culling, you can open in the Photo app and just view, delete? I'm thinking more along the lines of Jono's scenario.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Okay, so I'm sure I understand. if I import RAW files it will be possible to view them--or only in, for instance, the app you mention? Or did I miss something?

Ahem......Went back up to your (Terry) first post--and as I read it, you import, open with Photogene if you want to process a bit, but for just viewing and culling, you can open in the Photo app and just view, delete? I'm thinking more along the lines of Jono's scenario.

Diane
    Correct. To view the files you just import them. You can see on the import screen shots the thumbnails and then you can see on the bridge shot where I was just viewing the file (I just hadn't rotated the iPad for landscape)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One more test. I shot one file as an A900 jpeg. I imported to the iPad. I then moved it to Lightroom again it keeps full resolution. When I work with that file in the editing app I again even with jpeg are dealing with a smaller file. The reason I'm interested in figuring out how it handles files is that I was under the impression I was going to need to change my workflow to RAW + jpeg from just RAW and I'm now finding that I can simply work with the RAW files and not worry about creating a lot of jpegs that will just use up space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I'm thinking more along the lines of Jono's scenario.

Diane
    Jono's scenario is worth the price on its own to me but having a tethered instant view when doing landscape or portrait photography could be a big help on location.......maybe something like this to be modified to attach to a tripod.

http://usa.luxa2.com/product_showroom.aspx?s=15
    Mike

website under construction

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had a DOH!!!! moment on my way to work. I forgot to test and see if I could hook up a CF card reader to the USB adapter and import files that way. Better solution than hooking the camera to the iPad. Will try that tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a DOH!!!! moment on my way to work. I forgot to test and see if I could hook up a CF card reader to the USB adapter and import files that way. Better solution than hooking the camera to the iPad. Will try that tonight.
    Now, that would be great as my 5D is still CF only--I don't even know where my USB cord is for it LOL.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

>I forgot to test and see if I could hook up a CF card reader to the USB adapter and import files that way.

I forgot to ask. I hope it works.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Happy Weekend folks....great news

If you plug a Compact Flash Reader into the USB camera connector it will read your CF cards !!!! (obviously you need a USB and not a firewire reader) but you don't have to plug your dslr into the iPad.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is so cool - my photo kit is somewhere on a truck with Fedex and I cannot wait to try this. I can fill up GBs with shots but I'd be hard pushed to fill 64gb on the road - even with 24mp NEFs or 18mp DNGs uncompressed.

Apple did deliver my iPad case today though - it's really excellent and works extremely well as a tilted platform for typing etc. Not quite so good if you want to use portrait mode but it works a lot better than I expected as a case & stand.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Weekend folks....great news

If you plug a Compact Flash Reader into the USB camera connector it will read your CF cards !!!! (obviously you need a USB and not a firewire reader) but you don't have to plug your dslr into the iPad.
    Terry, thanks a lot.

Uwe
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Not unexpected but nice to know. Thanks for all the reports Terry.

Been using photogene, very slick and intuitive, not to mention fast...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

More USB reports.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/23/dear-...b-headset-wit/

"TUAW just received a tip from reader Jonathan, who is playing with his new Camera Connection kit. He tells us he was able to successfully connect a USB keyboard and type directly on his iPad. He also reports that the kit allows users to import photos directly from their iPhones, as was expected and specified.

It's also worth noting that Glenn Fleischman at TidBITS has just reported that a standard USB audio headset works for output and input to the iPad via the Camera Connection Kit; he was able to use the Skype app for a call via this setup, with excellent quality."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There have been a few reports of an error using a CF card reader that the device sucks too much power. I hit that twice last night after I posted. It happened with one reader but the reader still did the task (deleting a file after import, one import). I will keep playing but I don't think it is a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

There have been a few reports of an error using a CF card reader that the device sucks too much power. I hit that twice last night after I posted. It happened with one reader but the reader still did the task (deleting a file after import, one import). I will keep playing but I don't think it is a problem.
    So a powered USB hub as an intermediate step between the reader and the iPad?

Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    So a powered USB hub as an intermediate step between the reader and the iPad?

Bob
    I'm not going to bother to go the powered route. I was able to do multiple CF card downloads. I will play around with CF cards more this weekend but certain readers may zap more power.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to bother to go the powered route. I was able to do multiple CF card downloads. I will play around with CF cards more this weekend but certain readers may zap more power.
    Would be nice to keep it simple and clean.

Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK a little bit more clarification of what you are seeing when you import. I took these to answer a question over at DPReview.

I took my G1 and set it to RAW + jpeg and the jpeg set to B&W
    This is a screen capture of the import screen. You can see last three shots say RAW + jpeg.

Then I went to RAW only but left it set to B&W

When you then input and go the the picture viewer here is what you get in each instance.

RAW + jpeg

RAW only

So bottom line you are looking at the embedded jpeg in the file. The good news for me is the embedded jpeg in the Panasonic cameras seems pretty good so no issues with some quick edits and email the file out....below is from an embedded jpeg.