Site Sponsors
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: IPad Discussions

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IPad Discussions

Because 64GB is not a lot for larger trips we need to find out how to save images back to a disk.

Also I think that charging the iPad through the same connector maybe not a great design. Or is there a charging USB kit?
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

According to Avatron (Air Sharing) Apple won't allow them access to the photo directory. Jailbreak may be the only solution for uploading image files.

http://www.avatron.com/support/read.php?39,9857

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually,
    This statement by the developer struck a nerve for me....but not the way you think.

The frustrating thing is that our app could actually read and write those files if we just allowed it... it's not technically challenging; it's just forbidden by Apple's license agreement.

When I thought about it a bit, in some respects, I'm happy that they restrict what files (or how many files) apps can touch. I'm sure I would not want some strange app that I am just testing to have free reign on my files for security.

I think you can very easily get files to a spot you want them. I don't use Bridge but there may be something I didn't find but in LR you simply have the files put into whatever folder you want on import. So you don't lose file management.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the iPad lacks a normal file structure with of course access attributes.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It has an OS X based file structure, just like the iPhone. The original iPhone jailbreak used ftp and ssh. Sure would be nice to simply upload the images to a cloud such as dropbox. This would be simple with a jailbroken ipad.

Post Thanks / Like

>It has an OS X based file structure, just like the iPhone.

Of course. I mean more a file structure that is open to the user. Right now each app has often its own files.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, and I agree Terry, I don't think that Apple's policy is necessarily a bad thing.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In the case of the Air Share issue I think you're all taking it further than the original developer meant. His frustration was that they aren't permitted to upload multiple images to Photo and it has to be done one at a time. Technically they could move the files into Photo's file store/dirs but Apple won't allow it. This is Apple protecting the user experience of their own apps in a big brother kind of way. I've heard of similar issues with apps being prohibited by the Apple store because they emulated the finger zoom/scrunch that Photo provides - this is an Apple app only capability.

Now I would agree that giving foreign apps free reign outside of a users directory is a bad thing, but why not with your own data? I don't have those worries with applications I buy and use on my Mac so why should my iPhone/iPad be any different?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Now I would agree that giving foreign apps free reign outside of a users directory is a bad thing, but why not with your own data? I don't have those worries with applications I buy and use on my Mac so why should my iPhone/iPad be any different?
    Well, the whole point of these devices is that they ARE different - and are meant to be. If you start using the 'why should it be different', then you are one step along the route of turning the ipad into a standard tablet PC.

However - I certainly take Marc/Uwe's point that it would be good to be able to move a batch of photos off the ipad on to a remote storage when on a trip.
    I'm not convinced that you can't do this using AirShare HD, and when I get my iPad back I'll give it a serious go! (later this evening).

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jono good luck! Looking forward to your findings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Well, the whole point of these devices is that they ARE different - and are meant to be. If you start using the 'why should it be different', then you are one step along the route of turning the ipad into a standard tablet PC.

However - I certainly take Marc/Uwe's point that it would be good to be able to move a batch of photos off the ipad on to a remote storage when on a trip.
    I'm not convinced that you can't do this using AirShare HD, and when I get my iPad back I'll give it a serious go! (later this evening).

all the best
    I'm just following along--getting all my questions answered by you early adopters LOL. By the time I bite the bullet, I'll be set to go.

I've also wondered about the back up storage, but then wonder if we aren't trying to make it (the Ipad) be something its not intended to be (Jono's point). Then again, it seems that often hardware and software morph (or their uses) when they get in the hands of users and 3rd party developers--usually all to our good.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Another question--this may or may not apply to what Uwe said--the fact that the Ipad has no 'normal' file structure. As I understand it, the fimware upgrade for the Iphone and Touch that will come out this summer (and in the Fall for the Ipad) will allow folders. I haven't read enough to know if this is useful beyond organizing apps, so wonder if anyone else knows?

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I thought folders were for Apps not files. The whole point of the iPhone OS was to take away the notion of files and folders for documents pictures etc. And was a decision in making it not like a tablet running a regular operating system. When I get to my destination (at airport headed to Seattle again), I will try and find and link to a very good article about it. I think it may have been a Jonathan Gruber Daring Fireball but it was back in December or early January.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I thought folders were for Apps not files. The whole point of the iPhone OS was to take away the notion of files and folders for documents pictures etc. And was a decision in making it not like a tablet running a regular operating system. When I get to my destination (at airport headed to Seattle again), I will try and find and link to a very good article about it. I think it may have been a Jonathan Gruber Daring Fireball but it was back in December or early January.
    That makes sense and probably what I read also (checked it and that's so--for apps only). If so, though, then it seems we should use each 'tool' for the things it does best--horses for courses.

I like apps on the Touch to be truthful--little to think about. How much easier to use my NY Times app instead of using Safari, finding and bookmarking it and then having to fiddle around to read it when its all set up to read correctly from the app--as an example.

I can use folders in my bookmarks--and do. I set up my apps pages by type so will like folders for them even more, but on the Ipad I suspect we photographers (and other specialty users) would like it to conform to what we want it to do. Laptops allow us to do that--we just want this 'magical' thing to conform to our own way of working.
    Last edited by Diane B; 25th April 2010 at 07:15.

Post Thanks / Like

>I thought folders were for Apps not files. The whole point of the iPhone OS was to take away the notion of files and folders for documents pictures etc.

Yes, in some part a good idea. But the moment we want to make the iPad a workflow tool for imaging it gets more problematic. There maybe many apps that we like to share data (images).
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I think that having power charging through the dock connector is not such a great idea. While the iPhone charges fine from most USB connectors the iPad does not. This means you either charge or use the dock.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >I thought folders were for Apps not files. The whole point of the iPhone OS was to take away the notion of files and folders for documents pictures etc.

Yes, in some part a good idea. But the moment we want to make the iPad a workflow tool for imaging it gets more problematic. There maybe many apps that we like to share data (images).
    HI Uwe
    Well - as Monza said - there IS a proper Unix file structure on the ipad, just like the iphone, no question, so the issue is not whether it's there, but access.

3rd party Apps can have access to your image folders already - again - no question. The issue is whether it can have access to a number of files at once (for instance for Marc's idea of transferring image files to a remote server overnight). It certainly seems that this idea is being relaxed on OS4 (Silas has it on his phone at the moment, and there is much more you can do with it).

From a 'philosophical' point of view, I think it's right that you shouldn't have multi-file access to the ipad from another computer - however, I think you should be able to get multiple files off it (as indeed you can if you use LR A3 iPhoto).

As far as it's being a useful workflow tool for photographers - again, I think it already is as far as use as a storage/selection/backup/transfer device - the only real question is whether you can use other applications to batch transfer files off the device. It seems possible that we'll have to wait for OS4 for that (in the fall), but there may be a way around it in the meantime.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think that having power charging through the dock connector is not such a great idea. While the iPhone charges fine from most USB connectors the iPad does not. This means you either charge or use the dock.
    I'm not sure what you mean? The charger cable attaches to the back of the dock. As for the camera connection kit not being to be used at the same time as charging I thin you only need the connector dingle attached for a short amount of time.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what you mean? The charger cable attaches to the back of the dock. As for the camera connection kit not being to be used at the same time as charging I thin you only need the connector dingle attached for a short amount of time.
    At some point I hope I can copy to external disks through the cameras/USB connector and then would like not just to run on battery. Copying 15-30GB will take some time.
    Last edited by ustein; 25th April 2010 at 10:20.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I look for a travel hard case that fits the iPad with the Apple case.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I look for a travel hard case that fits the iPad with the Apple case.
    It isn't a hard case but builtNY has a neoprene case that is well padded and it fits both. It is the envelope style. I ordered this and it arrived yesterday. I like it. They are doing free shipping right now. PM me for the promotion code.

http://www.builtny.com/gadgets-ipad-cat.html

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't a hard case but builtNY has a neoprene case that is well padded and it fits both. It is the envelope style. I ordered this and it arrived yesterday. I like it. They are doing free shipping right now. PM me for the promotion code.

http://www.builtny.com/gadgets-ipad-cat.html
    Thanks. Not really a design for me :-).
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Try here they have reviewed lots of cases and provide websites on where to get them.

http://www.ilounge.com/
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Or this article for cases.....any case you would ever want and links to them.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...your_pick.html
    Mike

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Saw this from Ilounge . Like the brown leather one. http://www.handhelditems.com/ipad-ac...7631_7659.html
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

meilicke

These folks have a nice leather case, but I'm not sure I like how a portion of the iPad remains exposed.
    http://www.saddlebackleather.com/categories/110

-Scott

meilicke

Terry and everyone else, thanks so much for all of the camera connection kit info!

-Scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As for cases: surely the whole point of the thing is it's size?
    If you start putting it into a case it destroys part of it's point.

In that interview with Jon Ive, he said that it was designed to be tough, so that you could chuck it on a car seat or get stuff on the screen in the kitchen. After all, it's aluminium and glass, not plastic. Notable that in the 'will it blend' video he took the aluminium off first and still had a time breaking it in two.

I really don't think they need much Molly-coddling, and mine will stay naked except when it's in the front slip pocket of my new Fogg B# bag where it fits perfectly.

All the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, I really like the Apple case not for protection but functionaliy. I like the wedge shape for typing and also folded around to stand at a good angle when viewing a movie on an airplane. My bags always have keys spare change and other stuff jangling around so things get scratched and beaten up pretty easily. I used to protect my iphone and have since stopped (since I seem to upgrade it every year and the size/shape have change I don't see the need for spending on lots of cases) but also it starting to show it's wear.

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, I really like the Apple case not for protection but functionaliy. I like the wedge shape for typing and also folded around to stand at a good angle when viewing a movie on an airplane. My bags always have keys spare change and other stuff jangling around so things get scratched and beaten up pretty easily. I used to protect my iphone and have since stopped (since I seem to upgrade it every year and the size/shape have change I don't see the need for spending on lots of cases) but also it starting to show it's wear.
    Since I'm only a wanabee here, I don't have as strong a feeling about some things as some, but having spent some longish time with one twice, I found that I had trouble typing on it flat--thus I would expect I would go with Terry on the Apple case or something similar. I read on my Touch a lot (newspapers and websites primarily) so see that as something that would be more comfortable in some situations than holding it for long periods of time.

The other point would be---I don't want this to be something akin to a laptop for carrying--adding cases, etc. will do that, so the less the better for me. I don't have a camera case that would allow it (I don't think--perhaps one of my domkes would allow it to slip in), but if I carry it with camera, I want the least possible. I actually see mine being used a lot at home and when I carry it out with me, it will be primarily for a trip with camera. Otherwise I'll use the Touch/cell.

Again--I've decided to hold off until those of you getting the 3G have theirs in hand, have used it--or both--for a bit and then make a decision. The wifis are in stock in the Apple store and the 3Gs say ships by May 7th so there's no rush.

Just an update. I've tried the Palm Pre mobile hotspot with laptop and Touch, singly and both connected. The connection is quick and easy, the speed surprised me. There was little difference in speed between my home wifi and using the hotspot. Its a relatively cheap way to use 3G when I need to--which isn't often.

meilicke

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Just an update. I've tried the Palm Pre mobile hotspot with laptop and Touch, singly and both connected. The connection is quick and easy, the speed surprised me. There was little difference in speed between my home wifi and using the hotspot. Its a relatively cheap way to use 3G when I need to--which isn't often.
    Oh Diane, you make me positively envious with the mobile hotspot action on your Palm.

Sometimes my iPhone is so frustrating!

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    As for cases: surely the whole point of the thing is it's size?
    If you start putting it into a case it destroys part of it's point.

In that interview with Jon Ive, he said that it was designed to be tough, so that you could chuck it on a car seat or get stuff on the screen in the kitchen. After all, it's aluminium and glass, not plastic. Notable that in the 'will it blend' video he took the aluminium off first and still had a time breaking it in two.

I really don't think they need much Molly-coddling, and mine will stay naked except when it's in the front slip pocket of my new Fogg B# bag where it fits perfectly.

All the best
    I'm the same with my iPhone. I have no interest in bulking it up and covering the design with a case. I just keep it in a pocket without keys, and it's been fine for two years.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I have to have a case with my iphone for everytime I drop it on the concrete.

tokengirl

For the iPad-toting Leicaphiles, check out "Oskar's One Day Bag" from Artist & Artisan. I saw it in person on Friday, loaded up with camera, lenses and iPad, which was neatly inserted between the red inner padding and bag. Truly perfect size.

http://www.artisanandartist.com/bags/acam7100.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't use a case but I do use a sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by tokengirl View Post
    For the iPad-toting Leicaphiles, check out "Oskar's One Day Bag" from Artist & Artisan. I saw it in person on Friday, loaded up with camera, lenses and iPad, which was neatly inserted between the red inner padding and bag. Truly perfect size.

I have this bag, I'll give it a try.
    Mike

DougDolde

So to all of you who bought an iPad...any regrets?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    So to all of you who bought an iPad...any regrets?
    Not really. It does what I like it to do:

- show my work: Photos and Videos
    - can do my email on road
    - use maps
    - Browse the web if needed

Have now a battery powered wifi hub for my Aircard and don't need the 3G model.

I never cared for the iPhone (too small and too expensive contract). The iPod Touch was ok but still way too small. Now I carry a small bag with camera (mostly T2i) and some lenses, the iPad and the wifi router with me most of the time. Also a very cheap mobile phone for my rare calls via a phone (use Skype from the iPad if I need to call otherwise).

Is it expensive? Clearly yes, but no regrets. Was a bit worried to need the 3G but this is solved now.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

None. I don't consider the ipad expensive, either. I had a Lenovo netbook and it's a plastic piece of junk in comparison, for the same price, nothing beats the build quality of Apple products.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No regrets. Exceeding expectations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got my notification 3G-64 ships today, delivery for tomorrow.
    Mike

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

ditto

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IPad Discussions Simple Question - No Answer So Far??

I think iPhoto may default to date order from the exif. I don't know a way of importing a preexisting slideshow. That being said, I'm currently playing with Keynote and creating a slideshow in the App. If you do that, you can keep them in the correct order. There may be other apps or ways to do this but I think it will take some time. Just like we have blurb for doing book publishing in hard copy, I do envision seeing photo books show up in a format that can be loaded into the iBook reader or similar app.
    I'd like to go back to this. I'm getting closer to buying (waiting for youall to get your 3Gs this weekend or next) and have some more questions. Some of them, I know, may be answered in the future with more apps. I've read elsewhere about the limitations of trying to use the Ipad for a portfolio--not being able to order, not being able to set slideshow time (?), etc. Has anyone set up their portfolio to their satisfaction? There is a post above here with someone having problems--but I don't think anyone has brought this up (unless I missed it) since then except this post by Terry. I will say the photo book is very attractive to me though I know THAT isn't possible yet, but a portfolio ordered as one wants, etc., is at this point.

The uploading/downloading, RAW, etc. issue seems to be resolved for the most part. Now--I'd like to see if anyone has worked out the portfolio issue at this point.

I don't expect the Ipad to be used only for photographic reasons--I know all the things I use my Touch for and know the Ipad will do everything better--and more. But--the photographic end is still one reason I want the Ipad, so---trying to learn more before hitting the button.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Diane,
    Over the weekend I can test out more on slide shows. I haven't paid too much attention to the technicals behind it. You can set the slideshow time. If you go to the settings app and chose photos there are three choices:

Play each slide for (2sec, 3sec, 5 sec, 10sec, 20sec)
    Repeat (on/off)
    Shuffle(on/off)

I'm not sure how it orders the slides within each album. I will be coming from a Mac and can try and make albums in iPhoto and see if I can get it to keep the sequencing. I am not sure how you would be synching your photos to the iPad and what sort order they will start in.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tokengirl View Post

I have a decent idea where you saw the bag... and who's bag (and iPad) it was.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like

My battery powered WiFi router in action:

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Fedex man says his truck is full of iPads today. Looks like the 'end of the month' was accurate.

DougDolde

Here's an interesting chart regarding spending money on Apple products versus Apple stock:

http://www.kyleconroy.com/apple-stock.php

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Imagine if Apple had shut down the company and distributed the assets to the shareholders as Michael Dell suggested some years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Imagine if Apple had shut down the company and distributed the assets to the shareholders as Michael Dell suggested some years ago.
    There's always that possibility in any corporation. Rear mirror is a great thing - that doesn't mean Dell was wrong, considering the uncertainty of Apple's future at that time.

We've discussed this before - the right time to turn the corporate treasure chest into dividends is when the race is over, so to speak. Of course, nobody knows when that point in time is.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

3G up and running with AT&T data plan. Very simple to sign up.