The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

stephengilbert

Netflix has an app: they claim you can stream movies. It's hard to imagine that a typical WIFI connection is fast enough, but I'm sure Terry will let us know. :) If it works, it will be a great feature. For nine dollars a month you can watch all the brain-rotting movies you want.

Here's a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nILql1zo5vE

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
Netflix has an app: they claim you can stream movies. It's hard to imagine that a typical WIFI connection is fast enough, but I'm sure Terry will let us know. :) If it works, it will be a great feature. For nine dollars a month you can watch all the brain-rotting movies you want.
I tried it and it seems to be ok.

D

DougDolde

Just an observation, the iPad is reasonable at $499 but the top model at $829 approaches the $999 price of a refurbished 13" MacBook Pro.

And don't forget, this is 1st generation hardware, there will surely be an update in 2011 and likely a price cut as well. Clever Apple marketing as usual.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Just an observation, the iPad is reasonable at $499 but the top model at $829 approaches the $999 price of a refurbished 13" MacBook Pro.

And don't forget, this is 1st generation hardware, there will surely be an update in 2011 and likely a price cut as well. Clever Apple marketing as usual.
It is not cheap. A notebook computer can do more but the reading experience is very bad compared to the iPad. Everything reading is great. I saw in 1999 one of the first e-book readers:

-low res
-bulky
-BW
-no real networking

time seems right now and the Apple factor on top.

Terry

Just flew from NY to SF 6 hours 22 minutes of flying time. Watched three full length movies (10 minutes left to watch on last one). 15 minutes of Sudoko. About 1/2 hour of Internet use in the AM. Battery charge remaining 60%. I am amazed. The screen quality for movies is astonishing. Movies all rented from iTunes. No wifi on board.

Terry

Re: IPad DiscussionsQ

re Netflix:

ABC streaming worked better than it does on my MacBook. Netflix was spotty though. Lots of stops and starts. Will try again tonight.

Agree on ABC. The app is better than the website. Very well done. When you are in portrait it is half screen of video and half screen of content info. As soon as you rotate to landscape you get full screen video.

I've logged on to Netflix and started a movie but didn't get far enough to have any comments.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Looks like Goodreader $0.99 is doing a good job. I sell e-books as PDF so it is very important to me.

Tested briefly a 200 pages (complex layout) and 600 pages (medium complex layout) and they worked at first sight. Reading is very good. Goodreader even unzips files (I deliver as ZIP).
Thanks - this is heads & shoulders above the other PDF readers. Excellent product. :thumbup:

monza

Re: IPad DiscussionsQ

I've logged on to Netflix and started a movie but didn't get far enough to have any comments.
Tried Netflix again but it was unusable. Not sure if their servers are overloaded or something? The video quality was also not nearly as good as ABC streaming (which so far has never hiccuped.)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The speed seems to match my experience. The rendering is excellent and really benefits from the contrast of the iPad screen to look extremely clear and sharp. I imported a bunch of DNG files into iPhoto and then had iTunes synch the library with iPad.

However, judging from the video someone needs to learn how to use the iPad & gestures. :p

kevinparis

you aint seeing the raw file... itunes makes a JPEG that it send to the ipad.. it doesn't send the RAW

get real guys.. .the ipad has the same processor as the iphone... I seriusly doubt it can do realtime RAW processing

K

jonoslack

you aint seeing the raw file... itunes makes a JPEG that it send to the ipad.. it doesn't send the RAW

get real guys.. .the ipad has the same processor as the iphone... I seriusly doubt it can do realtime RAW processing

K
Hi Kevin
I hope you had a grand Easter.
Interesting point. . . . . . . . I'd like to know the answer to this - what happens if you import a bunch of RAW images from the camera connector watsit?

all the best to you both