Site Sponsors
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: IPad Discussions

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IPad Discussions

This may be something I don't need to worry about, but..... I have an Ipad due June 1. I thought I would select my apps and be ready to sync. How can you tell an Ipad app from an IPhone app if you have both---i.e., NY Times. There are a number of Iphone apps I don't want to sync to the Ipad--and even now I have some I've dled, that are in my Itunes library but I don't sync to my Touch now (may at some point). I will be manually syncing--but just not sure how to tell the difference.

On a different note--ever feel dumb?? I've tried and tried to create an account for the Apple discussion forum. I have an Apple ID from Itunes. It recognizes that and shows it at the top. It brings up an account form which I fill out, check the accept block, click on create account--and it just brings up the account form again. Any thoughts???

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In the iTunes store you can flip a "switch" from iPod/iPhone to iPad. (edit: need to go back and recheck the switch. I frequently go to appshopper.com to see what is new on the app store and they definitely sort them out. On the ipad itself it is very clear because they are shown in two sections) Also some are universal and They have a little plus sign by the price button. On your ipad when you search for apps the app store will separate them out.
    Last edited by Terry; 16th May 2010 at 13:00.

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, I can find the various apps to buy but when I sync--how will I know which is which if I have both? I know I can look at my apps section on left of Itunes and it has them sorted, but when I manually sync, will it differentiate which is which (where I will need to check what I want synced or not)? When I synced my Touch a bit ago, I didn't see any Ipad apps. I have about 6 ready to be synced to the IPad. So--I assume that when I connect the Ipad it will be apparent?? I have the NYTimes, NPR, a couple of others that are not 'universal' but separate for Ipad and Iphone and I have 2 apps for each (iphone and Ipad)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Diane,
    I'm now not the best for that because I was synching my iPhone to a different computer than my iPad. So, someone else can chime in until I get back to SF. Both of mine will be synched to the same computer/iTunes account going forward because (sob) I just gave my MBP to my sister yesterday!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow, Diane, I can answer something that Terry can't (yet). I just plugged my iPhone into my computer. The iPhone apps I've downloaded appear in the left frame app list, the installed ones with check marks. iPad apps don't appear until the iPad is attached, at which time all (iPhone as well as iPad) apps appear.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: IPad Discussions

Do you have duplicates of any--like NY Times (good ex). I remember seeing on some Ipad forum that Itunes should have something like a black frame around either the Ipad ones or the Iphone ones so you kNow which to sync. In most cases it will be obvious which are Iphone apps only but if I have 2 NPR AND NY Times and WSJ how do you know which you want to check for syncing?

AND. good for you for having an answer Terry doesnt have yet Asyou say LOL)

sorry about typos. Typing on Touch LOL

while we're talking about this-- the apps that are "both"--have they now been optimized/upgraded for Ipad and look good on the larger screen? I know I've had a lot of upgrades to install recently and I was guessing that they may be optimized versions.
    Last edited by Diane B; 16th May 2010 at 14:24.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Diane,

The only app I have in two versions is Bloomberg, which appears in the iPad list two times. If you open the app pages of iTunes, you'll see three sections: iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad Apps; iPhone and iPod Touch Apps; and iPad Apps. I don't recall if these three sections appeared before I synced my iPad, but I did download a few apps before I got an iPad, free ones mostly, as well as one or two inexpensive ones that I thought were likely to go up in price later. If you send me an email address, I'll send screen shots of the two iTunes pages.

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I knew as soon as I started posting on this topic it was a mistake. LOL. I just sprang for Wifi on my flight across country. Will be interesting to see how well Netflix and ABC do at streaming video through GoGo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The majority of the apps that supposedly work on both the iPhone and iPad appear on the latter in a small box on the screen. There's a 2X button, but when you double the size, you lose sharpness. I originally synced those, but have since removed almost all of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All apps that work on an iPad touch will work on the iPad, but if unmodified at all, will appear in the size as they do on the iPod, as you correctly point out. For an app to qualify to be iPad listed in the AppStore, it needs to at-a-minimum be orientation aware. Hopefully also take advantage of the added real estate space, but I'm not sure this strictly is required...

Cheers, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I would add to the "which app the Ipad will choose if there are 2 (NPR, NYTimes, etc.)". I just read on another forum that there is code in the IPad app and the correct one will be synced to the Ipad--not both the Iphone and the Ipad. Just repeating--don't know for sure if this is so, but it sounds plausible.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    All apps that work on an iPad touch will work on the iPad, but if unmodified at all, will appear in the size as they do on the iPod, as you correctly point out. For an app to qualify to be iPad listed in the AppStore, it needs to at-a-minimum be orientation aware. Hopefully also take advantage of the added real estate space, but I'm not sure this strictly is required...

Cheers, -Peter
    There are some iPad specific Apps that don't change orientation. One example is Words with Friends HD. I've come across some others as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi I am new to this trend. And I am starting to look at the Ipad. Can this Ipad be use as a on location viewer back-up device and getting the folder ready for the work flow on my station with Lr.

Michel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MMPhoto View Post
    Hi I am new to this trend. And I am starting to look at the Ipad. Can this Ipad be use as a on location viewer back-up device and getting the folder ready for the work flow on my station with Lr.

Michel
    Not really.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question. Maybe when I get my Ipad (about 10 days) I will easily be able to work this out but maybe some have already done this or thought about it.

I have been a longtime subscriber to Lenswork. I used to get the Extended but found I really didn't want to sit in front of the monitor and watch the videos, look at the portfolios. Even with ergonomic chair, everything where it should be, I still find myself going into poor positions for neck, back, etc. after a long period of viewing. That's one reason I'm looking forward to getting the Ipad--using it for all my surfing, reading where I can sit or stand in a more normal position anywhere I choose for reading/viewing and using my main computer for only major processing and the laptop for photography travel.

So--the Extended Lenswork comes on a DVD. What would be the best way to get that video onto the Ipad--or is it possible? I know its quite easy to rent a movie and watch it. Seems to be an ideal device to watch something like this--and perhaps Lenswork will develop an app with subscription for watching them in the future, but for now--AFAIK, they are DVD only and I know moving data from a main computer to the Ipad isn't what I'm used to doing. I do know how to use Itunes to add data to my Touch--but haven't even thought of DVD data.
    Last edited by Diane B; 20th May 2010 at 05:46.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For the international crowd....your App Store should be live ....

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/20/...ternationally/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    For the international crowd....your App Store should be live ....

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/20/...ternationally/
    Hi Terry
    Thanks for the heads-up.
    It IS live . . . . but there isn't anything which wasn't already available in iTunes. The biggest irritation is that the iwork apps still aren't available (can't imagine why not).

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Diane,
    Try and have a look at Air Share. I think that app gives you access to content on your network (no idea about DVD content in a drive). I've never used it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Diane,
    Try and have a look at Air Share. I think that app gives you access to content on your network (no idea about DVD content in a drive). I've never used it.
    Airshare is great - definitely a winner looking at attachments to emails as well.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Googling "copy dvd to ipad," you'll find several solutions.

Then get Terry to try them out and report back on the best.

Post Thanks / Like

>The biggest irritation is that the iwork apps still aren't available (can't imagine why not).

Maybe because you need the actual iPad to buy them?
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Diane,

Try "HandBrake", you can convert the DVD to M4V (Apple's MPEG4) format. Use the "Apple TV" preset.

Once converted, it'll be a single ".m4v" file, which you can place in your iTunes Movies folder, and sync to your iPad.
    .Sam.
    Panasonic GF1 & Olympus E-P5
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/shadzee/

Post Thanks / Like

Well, thanks all for the several solutions--I figured there had to be (should have googled--just checked various forums--googling always works better LOL). I debated about subscribing to the Extended again--now I know I will.

Checked my delivery for Ipad again last night--still on track for May 26, delivery June 1. I forgot to order the camera connector though and I realized it when I reviewed my order so now I'll be further back in the line--drats!!

Post Thanks / Like

>I forgot to order the camera connector though and I realized it when I reviewed my order so now I'll be further back in the line--drats!!

Not impressed by it. If you import a large folder of images to the iPad it is tedious to delete these files again. CF cards are problematic, video very limited (no 1080p and not even 720p 30p).

Maybe ok to select a few images and send to friends (I then normally can wait till I have a real PC).
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shadzee View Post
    Diane,

Try "HandBrake", you can convert the DVD to M4V (Apple's MPEG4) format. Use the "Apple TV" preset.

Once converted, it'll be a single ".m4v" file, which you can place in your iTunes Movies folder, and sync to your iPad.
    Lenswork is a data DVD and not a movie DVD. I check with my iPad what works. The videos maybe part of the PDFs.

here are my findings:

1. PDFs display (I use Goodreader)
    2. Can copy the videos (.mov) also to Goodreader and they play fine.
    3. I don't expect them to work directly from PDF links
    4. You can organize inside Goodreader with folders but it seems you cannot copy folders directly to Goodreader.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by ustein; 20th May 2010 at 10:04.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Uwe. I don't have one to check format. It really seems as though the Ipad would be ideal to view it on so hope there is a way

So you are saying I might not find the connector useful?? I don't plan to use the Ipad for storage as I've been following here about the issue with deleting files so maybe I'll wait until things sort out about that. Is there anything else useful I need it for?

Post Thanks / Like

>Is there anything else useful I need it for?

not sure :-)
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried a audio book on the Ipad. Can you use an ear phone and I wonder if you can stop in the middle of the audio book and restart were you stopped. This would be great on a long airplane trip.
    Sunny Florida Rick of Fla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scargos2 View Post
    Has anyone tried a audio book on the Ipad. Can you use an ear phone and I wonder if you can stop in the middle of the audio book and restart were you stopped. This would be great on a long airplane trip.
    Here's some info on audio book app.
    http://findebookreaders.com/blog/201...nd-ipod-touch/
    and another
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audio...363177548?mt=8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >Is there anything else useful I need it for?

not sure :-)
    Thanks--it was rather tongue in cheek . I may still go ahead and get one as when traveling it might be nice to upload a few to send.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scargos2 View Post
    Hi Rick
    Yes. The iPod app works with audio books and holds hour place. Same way as an iPhone or a touch. No special app needed.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Just interesting note. Last night I got a 'shipped' notice from Apple. My 64G wifi Ipad had been shipped--a bit more than a week early and is due the day before it was to have been shipped. So--I will get it before the Euro folks after all LOL. Not sure what this means, but at least they are def. staying within their shipping dates.

I do wonder though--it shipped from China the 24th (which would be 12 hours earlier than my time) and is due 'by' May 26th. You think??? It will be interesting watching it move across the US to North Carolina and get the 'out for delivery' notice on Fed Ex.

I have a number of apps ready to install --some from experience with similar ones on my Touch (news apps, reading apps like Kindle, Stanza, recipe/cooking and wine, etc) , a couple specific to Ipad. I plan to leave my music apps and most music all on my Touch--maybe add Pandora, but I find that I use the Touch as a mini net radio transmitter and have RCA cables on all our radios and sound systems and just plug in the Touch wherever I am. I'll use the Ipad for for viewing primarily. I read recently that 94% of the people who have bought Ipads are happy with them. That's a quite high percentage for a new device it seems to me.

Still not sure whether to bother buying camera connector or not. I'm more interested in loading a portfolio (which would be done through Itunes) and haven't seen more about how people are dealing with this since the first discussion about it.
    Last edited by Diane B; 24th May 2010 at 06:58.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Diane
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Just interesting note. Last night I got a 'shipped' notice from Apple. My 64G wifi Ipad had been shipped--a bit more than a week early and is due the day before it was to have been shipped. So--I will get it before the Euro folks after all LOL. Not sure what this means, but at least they are def. staying within their shipping dates.
    Ah - but wait . . . we got our 'shipped' notice on May 22nd, sadly it's still saying delivery on the 28th.

Shall we have a race?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry or anybody, I took some sample pics (RAW) with my M9 and transferred them to my ipad and the photos where blurry. Anybody try this with a RAW file dng, from a M9? Any problems? This is the first test and I haven't retried so it may be an anomaly.
    Mike

website under construction

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica apparently provides a very low quality jpeg embedded into the DNG. Try shooting a RAW+jpeg and retry the experiment. You should then see a good quality jpeg. In contrast it seems Panasonic puts a big nice jpeg file into the RAW and vie been fine with just the RAW files.
    If RAW + jpeg doesn't do the trick and it's an M9 is it in focus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Diane

Ah - but wait . . . we got our 'shipped' notice on May 22nd, sadly it's still saying delivery on the 28th.

Shall we have a race?
    But wait. Which direction will they fly for Europe deliveries???? LOL.

I'm happy just getting mine a week earlier than expected.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But wait. Which direction will they fly for Europe deliveries???? LOL.
    Just as long as it isn't over that volcano in Iceland
    tell you what - we should both keep a note of arrival time, and whoever gets it first wins a drink. . . . . of course, you'll have to come over here to get it!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    Terry or anybody, I took some sample pics (RAW) with my M9 and transferred them to my ipad and the photos where blurry. Anybody try this with a RAW file dng, from a M9? Any problems? This is the first test and I haven't retried so it may be an anomaly.
    Hi Mike
    Terry has it - but if you shoot RAW+jpg you get a grand image, and for the purpose of review and culling it works well (it only shows one image, and if you delete it, then it deletes both the RAW and jpg).

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Just as long as it isn't over that volcano in Iceland
    tell you what - we should both keep a note of arrival time, and whoever gets it first wins a drink. . . . . of course, you'll have to come over here to get it!
    Deal. Fed Ex just adjusted my delivery date to May 27 'before' 10:30 AM LOL. Its now on Lantau Island, HK.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Mike
    Terry has it - but if you shoot RAW+jpg you get a grand image, and for the purpose of review and culling it works well (it only shows one image, and if you delete it, then it deletes both the RAW and jpg).

all the best
    Great I'm sure that's it thanks
    Mike

website under construction

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Deal. Fed Ex just adjusted my delivery date to May 27 'before' 10:30 AM LOL. Its now on Lantau Island, HK.

Diane
    I'm sure you'll win, because I'm sure that the UK deliveries will be held until the 28th. Unfortunately we can't see where ours have got to . We English can really sulk. But I do have that Caspar snoozing at my feet

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got an email from line2 today. They've fixed their VoiP app. It now works on 3G for the iPad. I tried it out just now and it worked fine. So you can turn your iPad into a phone and use it over both wifi and 3G. They charge $15/month. Not sure if Skype can use the iPad 3G data only on iPad

DougDolde

Line2 is great !

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the Line2 demo for a month with the Touch. Worked great with the teeny mic on the ear buds. Very clear-more clear than my cell. I don't need it since I carry a cell and never go over minutes (i use much more data than minutes) but would recommend it. A number of pros for business use.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure you'll win, because I'm sure that the UK deliveries will be held until the 28th. Unfortunately we can't see where ours have got to . We English can really sulk. But I do have that Caspar snoozing at my feet
    Well, mine is almost within spitting distance (released from customs in Memphis TN at midnight but I bet its enroute to Charlotte) and may even beat its 'estimated' date of May 27 by 10:30 AM LOL.

Beyond that---since Caspar is growing (and, it seems, now a more placid fellow evidenced by sleeping at your feet LOL), it seems time to add some pics of him on the dog thread--or at least on your galleries and alert us to them. By george, he'll be a grown up fellow before you know it. This one looks promising too but no feedback and not enuf info to know http://lighttableapp.com/

Still hoping that someone will be using the Ipad for their portfolio and being able to set it up as they wish. I have been watching for any apps to aid that. I did find Photo-Sort that may be helpful to some degree--not sure. There are lots of filter/editor apps. There's also an app called Fine ARts that has very nice frames--not sure what else it can do---maybe nothing but frame the photos you have uploaded.

Has anyone tried this app? It looks promising for transferring photo files from/to Ipad/computer
    http://www.phototransferapp.com/
    Last edited by Diane B; 25th May 2010 at 06:33.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm still hoping that Apple will beef up the photo app. Little things like image rotation need to be added. I used the Panasonic 20mm lens this weekend on both the GF1 and the E-PL1 neither of which will auto rotate the picture. Rotating the iPad doesn't do any good because the picture will rotate again to the wrong orientation.

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, look at Photo Rotate in apps. Seems to do what you want but without my Ipad to try, not sure.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, look at Photo Rotate in apps. Seems to do what you want but without my Ipad to try, not sure.
    All of the Photo "apps" will rotate but when you save from an App it doesn't go back to the same spot as the rest of the photos. For instance. Let's say I import a whole set of images from my computer and they are in folders. The folder structure is maintained on the iPad. Then if I take one of those shots and work on it on a third party app, when I'm done and save that shot it isn't saved back into the folder it came from. It is saved into the main catch all folder called Saved Photos.

So, in the case of downloading from your camera/card the files go into two places "last import" and "all imported". Now if you take some to an app to rotate (one by one!) they stay in all imported folder but unrotated and the rotated version is saved as a copy in "saved photos".

What Apple REALLY needs to do is add some basic editing to their photo viewer that will keep the "folder" integrity.

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered my Ipad last night with the camera connector. Apple is saying 5-7 days. We will see how long it really takes. I am in no hurry , but were is my IPAD!
    Will be testing, in putting pictures from my M8 into the IPAD using only the raw files.
    Sunny Florida Rick of Fla