Site Sponsors
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: IPad Discussions

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: IPad Discussions

Adding PDF's to iBooks. Great for Camera Manuals.

The functionality is now available and works well. I just downloaded my user manuals from my cameras to both the iPad and the iPhone. Reading them on the iPhone isn't nearly as nice as the iPad.

To do it:
    1. Drag the PDF to books (along the left hand side margin in iTunes
    2. Make sure when you plug in your iPad/iPhone/iPod that you set it to synch the books.
    Last edited by Terry; 21st June 2010 at 18:37.

Post Thanks / Like

Tested it with my e-books and it works fine.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

anyone try using the pad as a car nav gps unit?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    anyone try using the pad as a car nav gps unit?
    As the driver, no. As the navigator, yes. The iPhone you can hold or put on a dashboard stand. The iPad is too big to handle in the same way. As navigator it was great and easy to show the driver what they were going to do.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Adding PDF's to iBooks. Great for Camera Manuals.

The functionality is now available and works well. I just downloaded my user manuals from my cameras to both the iPad and the iPhone. Reading them on the iPhone isn't nearly as nice as the iPad.

To do it:
    1. Drag the PDF to books (along the left hand side margin in iTunes
    2. Make sure when you plug in your iPad/iPhone/iPod that you set it to synch the books.
    Hmm - I've been managing books manually (dropping them on the iPAD). This doesn't seem to work with .pdf files (they don't drag) . . . any ideas (if I click on sync books it says it'll destroy all my music etc. on the iPad.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hmm - I've been managing books manually (dropping them on the iPAD). This doesn't seem to work with .pdf files (they don't drag) . . . any ideas (if I click on sync books it says it'll destroy all my music etc. on the iPad.

all the best
    I got a message like that for my iPhone but I had recently changed which computer I synched with so after a slight pause, I did the synch and it was fine. On the iPad, I had no issue. Are you synching with the same computer you usually use?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got a message like that for my iPhone but I had recently changed which computer I synched with so after a slight pause, I did the synch and it was fine. On the iPad, I had no issue. Are you synching with the same computer you usually use?
    Silly me - I had downloaded the new version of iBooks on my computer, but not synced it with the iPad. Interestingly, you can now just drop pdf files onto the ipad - no need to sync all books.

Hooray!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Silly me - I had downloaded the new version of iBooks on my computer, but not synced it with the iPad. Interestingly, you can now just drop pdf files onto the ipad - no need to sync all books.

Hooray!

all the best
    What do you mean by "drop" are you using dropbox or emailing them to your self?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just discovered that you can sync through GoodReader and deliver files to your iPad by WIFI. You guys knew this, right? Once you've set up the connection, you have an iPad folder on your computer into which you can drag docs or photos which then pop up on the iPad. Very cool.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What do you mean by "drop" are you using dropbox or emailing them to your self?
    HI Terry
    No No - nothing esoteric (did try emailing, but the Aperture manual was too big ).

I have book syncronisation turned off. . . . I import the pdf files (and books) to itunes - then you can drag them from the browser in itunes and drop them on the ipad. Just as you would if you manually manage music (for me a must with 160Gb music!).

iBooks does a better job with pdf files than airsharing, but it doesn't show the content pages.

We are all in a fluster around here . . . . Silas' iphone 4 order says 'deliver on the 24th' mine only says 'ship by the 24th'. There could be a crisis at work!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    I just discovered that you can sync through GoodReader and deliver files to your iPad by WIFI. You guys knew this, right? Once you've set up the connection, you have an iPad folder on your computer into which you can drag docs or photos which then pop up on the iPad. Very cool.
    I read about it but haven't tried it. Thanks for telling us how it works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for telling us how it works.

I'm not sure I told you how it works; just that it works. But I followed the instructions on the GoodReader site and it did work. Now I'm not sure that I'll ever use it since if I'm in range of my WIFI connection I can just use a cable, but GoodReader offers some interesting options for downloading to the iPad.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the ability to dl pdfs to Ibooks. I neglected to update to 9.2 in my haste and it would not install them but after that it was as easy as anything else. I tried a few epub books from manybooks.net also. All good. Still not entirely sure what Jono is doing but this was certainly easy as adding music to my Touch.

I had to look around for a pdf of my 5D manual but found one and love having all my manuals on the Ipad where it's easy to read and search. I may add them to the Touch for reference in the field. I haven't upgraded it to. OS4 yet.

I keep finding more reasons to love my Ipad.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post

I keep finding more reasons to love my Ipad.
    You and three million others out there.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Still not entirely sure what Jono is doing
    You and me both

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

You and three million others out there.
    In 80 days!!!!!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In 80 days!!!!!!!
    80 days . . . . . erm?
    Last edited by jonoslack; 24th June 2010 at 09:34. Reason: stupidity . . . and not reading

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

80 days . . . . . erm?
    Not sure of "erm" LOL. but 3 million Ipads were sold in 80 days according to Apple. Glad I was one of them (not one of the Ipads but one of the buyers *smile*)

Post Thanks / Like

Erm? .... Jono has invented a new phrase.... Anyway, i mentioned this on the other IPad app thread, but here is some news.....My new Photo App, "Magical Celtic Lands HD," for IPad, IPhone, and IPod Touch, is now available on ITunes!
    Preview here....... http://tiny.cc/ilfqd

this app features my entire Irish and Scottish Islands series, and it displays beautifully on the IPad!

Let's use the IPad and ITunes to get our best work around the world!

I think the IPad is the best vehicle to distribute our finest work.....
    My photoblog: http://josefskye.tumblr.com
    Friend me on Facebook: Josef Skye Tornick

Post Thanks / Like

Ipad for reading ebooks from library

I don't often get bent out of shape about things but I am very annoyed about the fact that the Ipad can't be used to read ebooks from most of the digital libraries in the US despite the fact that most are available in ePUB and pdf formats. I read a lot and have a household full of books so for the last number of years have opted to use the library for fiction and some non-fiction. I have bought books for both my KIndle and Barnes and Noble apps (my favorite) and also have Stanza and Kobe, both of which will read the formats plus the Goodreader pdf reader. But, it appears that the use of the service, Overdrive, which requires using the Adobe Digital Edition (DRM), means that there's no (legal) way to get those books onto the Ipad or Iphone. I've registered a complaint with my libraries and hope they pass it along to the Digital library but for now, it appears we just can't borrow ebooks from the libraries for now unless you have a Barnes and Noble Nook or the Sony reader or are willing to read on your laptop, which I'm not, nor wil I buy a dedicated reader when I'm quite happy with the Ipad for a reader.

I'm guessing that most here aren't concerned about the issue and buy their books, but if I bought every book I read I'd be broke and I really don't need a lot of them on the Ipad after one reading. I just try to keep a couple of bought books on each month, but I sure would like to borrow those books available from the library.

I also think there's a possible chance for some businesses that rent ebooks much as Itunes rents movies. I'd pay a subsciption fee for the ability to rent a number of books a month or year.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Ipad for reading ebooks from library

I also think there's a possible chance for some businesses that rent ebooks much as Itunes rents movies. I'd pay a subsciption fee for the ability to rent a number of books a month or year.
    Hi Diane
    I do agree . . . wish I had enough time not to be able to afford to buy the books I read though

I'm sure this will come, whether through itunes or elsewhere.

In the meantime, one of the really nice things is the ready availability of Gutenberg press books on ibooks for free - maybe it's the time to re-read the classics whilst you're waiting for this to come on line.

all the best.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ipad for reading ebooks from library

Hi Diane
    I do agree . . . wish I had enough time not to be able to afford to buy the books I read though

I'm sure this will come, whether through itunes or elsewhere.

In the meantime, one of the really nice things is the ready availability of Gutenberg press books on ibooks for free - maybe it's the time to re-read the classics whilst you're waiting for this to come on line.

all the best.
    Hi Jono,

Yes, I do think it will come and I actually do have a number of the free books from the Gutenberg press in my several apps (including Ibooks where I haven't found the books I have wanted to buy and thus have bought from Amazon or B & N) What I'm annoyed with I guess is that all the digital libraries (or most as far as I could determine--meaning city, county, state free public libraries ) got sucked into this Overdrive thing and it has been selective from the beginning. I can't fault them for not seeing the Ipad coming but they don't seem to be thinking now how to even get books onto any of the readers except those that will also adopt the Adobe software which also means that you have to have Flash (though I'm wondering if that's only needed to do the initial download to your main computer where you can port it to other, though few, devices). They mainly see people reading on their computers and I don't think that's viable at all now. As soon as the Kindle and Sony came out and then the Nook from B & N people started seeing reading an ebook in a different way I think.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Diane
    I'm afraid I'm perhaps a little naughtier than you . . . in so far as I feel that if I've paid for it I'm going to read it in what I damn well want to read it in!
    iBooks does well with epub books in general, so i do what seems necessary . . . . .
    neeenahneeenahneenah.

hang on a sec . . .there seems to be someone at the door.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Diane
    I'm afraid I'm perhaps a little naughtier than you . . . in so far as I feel that if I've paid for it I'm going to read it in what I damn well want to read it in!
    iBooks does well with epub books in general, so i do what seems necessary . . . . .
    neeenahneeenahneenah.

hang on a sec . . .there seems to be someone at the door.
    LOL. I understand, but of course I haven't paid for these. When they are on loan it is usually for 2 weeks and a possibility of renewing for a second week. After that time they disappear from your computer.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    A couple of questions re uploading photos from my iPad to my desktop Mac. Any advice would be appreciated.

1. When I upload via iPhoto, it only 'sees' and transfers the jpegs not the RAW files. But the thumbnail on the iPad states 'RAW + jpeg". And if I use Adobe Bridge it imports both versions just fine.

2. I really want to upload directly into Capture One Pro but I can't get the software to recognise that the iPad is connected. So the 'import images' dialogue box doesn't help.

Has anyone found workarounds (without jail breaking) for these issues?
    Thanks for your time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Diane,

Overdrive has announced that they "will release a series of apps that will combine eBooks, audiobooks, and interactive and multimedia content into one user-friendly application. The apps will be available for both mobile and desktop operating systems, including ... iPhone®, iPad®, AndroidTM, Windows Mobile®, and BlackBerry®. Millions of end users will benefit from a single software solution for all OverDrive-supplied content, as well as on-the-go access to eBooks from OverDrive-powered library and retail catalogs."

http://overdrive.com/aboutus/getArti...cleID=20100519

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Diane,

Overdrive has announced that they "will release a series of apps that will combine eBooks, audiobooks, and interactive and multimedia content into one user-friendly application. The apps will be available for both mobile and desktop operating systems, including ... iPhone®, iPad®, AndroidTM, Windows Mobile®, and BlackBerry®. Millions of end users will benefit from a single software solution for all OverDrive-supplied content, as well as on-the-go access to eBooks from OverDrive-powered library and retail catalogs."

http://overdrive.com/aboutus/getArti...cleID=20100519
    I passed that on to Overdrive support who seemed unaware that they were going to do this. I also passed it on to the head of our county library system who emailed me back yesterday stating I was correct in my understanding and she thought when the Ipad became more common in the general public she thought perhaps OVerdrive might do something. She, too, was unaware, but in her defense, this isn't her area of expertise and I wouldn't expect her to be aware of what was going to happen. Our library systems have their own issues with money/services right now and I expect she is focused on that.

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly quiet about the software updates for both Ipad and Iphone. I just stumbled on an article about them. The biggest improvement for Ipad seems to be a fix for wifi issues for those having them. (I'm not). Its 3.2.1 for Ipad and 4.0.1 i believe for Iphone.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy, now I have to read through all this. I broke down today and picked one of these thingies up. Still grumbling tha it doesn't have a USB port, but I'll play with it the next few days and hope it will do what I need it to...

Stefan

meilicke

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Oh boy, now I have to read through all this. I broke down today and picked one of these thingies up. Still grumbling tha it doesn't have a USB port, but I'll play with it the next few days and hope it will do what I need it to...

Stefan
    You can get the camera connection kit to get a USB port at will allow cameras Some have reported USB keyboards will also work.

Have fun, they are great devices.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

My camera connector kit is due tomorrow so I will try.

I just find it to be my library at my finger tips. I use it all the time for researching things (found an app last night for area in Nova Scotia we're going to in Sept. Very useful), reading books/pdf manuals, mags, newspapers, forums, looking at galleries, etc. I find new uses for it all the time. I'd hate to not have it now. My laptop is rarely used and even my desktop is mostly used for photo processing and business things like billing and bookkeeping.

Post Thanks / Like

I will order the camera kit today - I assume they won't have it in the Apple stores, right? I understand the Apple case is fine but I will look around for a leather case first - any experiences there? Oh, and what are you all doing reg. screen protection? I usually use the 'invisible shield' from ZAGG.

Played around with some of the apps I read about here, will need a bit more time but it looks like fun so far. Multitasking would be nice, though, just for listening to Pandora while I do other things... It will mostly be used as a surf-and-read gadget and for SD card backups in rare cases. But I am a bit discouraged by what I read about document readers. I thought I would at least be able to read MS Word docs and Powerpoint slides - editing would be a bonus but I have a notebook for that. Is it worth it spending the money for Documents-to-go Premium? Oh, and I didn't find anything obvious for Facebook - any recommendations there? Sorry if all that has come up before, I'm still behind with going through Ipad threads...

Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

Using Pages you can open MS Docs and even edit
    http://www.tothepc.com/archives/open...ments-on-ipad/. There's a terrific pdf reader (which does more than just that--Goodreader

No Facebook app for Ipad yet as I understand. I'm not a FB user so not sure how to access-probably through Safari until an app.

Multitasking will happen this Fall with 4.0.

I don't use a screen protector. Apple case and a lens microweave cloth.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Diane, that's helpful.

Stefan

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

my 20 yr old spent too much quality time on my I-pad, ran the battery way down. got the red bar and lightning symbol.
    plugged it in to ac adapter, took 15-30 minutes before i could get the apple/bootup. read a book (still plugged in) for 1/2 hr, pad quit and back to red bar.

has been plugged in, charging only,for four hours and is only up 10%

is this typical?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What are you charging it with? iPad 10v plug or iPhone plug (the brick part not the cable). iPhone plug will be very slow. Using while charging slows it down a lot.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks terry; i just found that out!

was using a phone charger ac adapter.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

So, are we selfish elites?

Post Thanks / Like

Question: I've used the camera connection kit to load and view pictures after I shoot. How do I get rid of them afterward? At this point I've a few GB used up that I can't seem to get free up. From what I see on the iPad, there's no way to delete albums or the images in them, and no place in iTunes that seems to allow this either. How in the heck do I delete them?

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

>How do I get rid of them afterward?

You can, but I forgot how (best Goole). But for sure the solution is quite tedious as there seems to be no real delete of an entire folder. I gave up the idea to use the iPad for this :-)
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Simon, just got my CC Monday but had saved an SD card full to try it out. Don't know about deleting albums but you can delete multiple photos by selecting an event or album or saved and clicking on the 'share' button in top right (square with curved arrow). Click on that, click on photos you want to delete and then select the delete button (red in left corner AIR). I assume that it deletes the RAW/jpeg completely. Not sure of deleting albums though and no way to organize into other albums. That's badly needed. I understand that you can upload photos organized as you wish via Itunes but haven't done that.

Post Thanks / Like

Diane,

I know that it is possible to do it this way, but with hundreds of photos, it simply isn't practical. There should be a way to wholesale delete an entire album, or if not, a way to select all pictures at once rather than having to click on each picture. Damn silly, really.

As Uwe found, this makes using the iPad for checking anything more than a handful of images from a camera just too ridiculous to be useful. Apple really needs to think this through a whole lot more.

Cheers,

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm looking for two things:

1. an AC charger adapter that will dual function for I-phone or I-pad ( i think the stock I-pad charger is ok for both, but not the I-hone charger)
    2. a 12v DC (car) charger that will handle both: read a few reviews about the apple product blowing fuses, there seems to be a griffin, any reports?

Post Thanks / Like

John,

You are correct about number one.
    Don't know about this other than to confirm that my iPhone car charger does not charge the iPad.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is a bit convoluted, but you should be able to use an ac/dc inverter which plugs into your cigarette lighter socket and then plug the iPad charger into the inverter. Seems silly to go from dc to ac back to dc, but it use this approach for my laptop when in the field. You can get by with one of the small inverters since there isn't a large current draw.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    I'm looking for two things:

1. an AC charger adapter that will dual function for I-phone or I-pad ( i think the stock I-pad charger is ok for both, but not the I-hone charger)
    2. a 12v DC (car) charger that will handle both: read a few reviews about the apple product blowing fuses, there seems to be a griffin, any reports?
    I have the Kensington (used so far for the iPhone) but they claim to charge the iPad.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention an inverter... that's my solution too. The inverter takes care of all things I don't have a car charger for.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe an interessting software for making slideshows for the iPad:

http://slideshowpro.net/news/archive...ro-mobile.php/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to this thread, I ended up buying ipad again