The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

Amin

My wifi model will either go to my mother (I think it is the perfect device for her) or it will be sold.
Same here, my 32 wifi will go to my daughter when the 3G/GPS comes out.
That's exactly what I meant. My brother and lots of people I know are doing the same. Lots of relatives will be getting wifi iPads in a few weeks, many of whom surely wouldn't be getting them if the 3g version had been released concurrently. Well done, Apple :thumbs:.

jonoslack

What seems obvious to me is that the iPad, like the iPod Touch, is designed for a different range of uses than a laptop/desktop computer system. Buy the device with the right functionality for the uses you have in mind.
HI Godfrey - Uwe
While I agree to some extent (completely about the intent and philosophy), I would have thought that Uwe could find a way of updating his website on the fly - one possibility would be a logmein connection to his base computer (the logmein app on the ipad is pretty fab).

Which brings me to another point, which is that whereas logmein / RDP / VNC and Citrix connections were all perfectly possible with the iphone / touch, actually doing anything was rather a chore (i.e. read impossible). However, the iPAD is quite a different kettle of fish - I can see that it will be very powerful for connection to client sites at a time when it might not be convenient to have a laptop around.

In addition, a quick hunt for html on the iTunes store finds quite a few html editor applications for the ipad:
Web Page Developer looks pretty good (even previews page).
eWebEditor also looks quite good (but I haven't looked properly).
Any way you can look for yourself

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
BTW last night i figured out your Iphone power cord charges the Ipad and vise versa. Nice to know when traveling. Have to admit it is nice to have around the couch and floating in the house even though we have 4 laptops in the house.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Having 3G a month at a time is a good point and important to me because we don't have 3G where I live only edge (AT&T has said will get it next year but they have been saying that for 3 years). I travel a lot so that is a good option. Using the ipad for a portable client viewing device is also a strong point, a laptop is kind of a hassel for that...
Has anyone used the camera connectors yet? Will that let jpegs be instantley down loaded from the camera? If so it could be a used as a field viewing device, shoot a jpeg, view, and then switch to RAW for final capture. I think I'll pre order 3G one what the heck.....

Terry

camera connectors haven't be released yet but they should work as described. Either use an SD or connect camera direct through USB. Not sure exactly how the software will function and if there will be some "light" jpeg edit capability or if you will need to use a third party App.

The extra power cord was listed as shipping end of April and shipped yesterday. Camera connection kit also listed for end of April but no movement on that purchase (or for that matter my 3G :p)

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Just order the 64 3G..............

Terry, thank you for all of your suto equipment reviews, and all you guys. Your posts are always informative and a real asset to this forum.

ustein

Contributing Editor
HI Godfrey - Uwe
While I agree to some extent (completely about the intent and philosophy), I would have thought that Uwe could find a way of updating his website on the fly - one possibility would be a logmein connection to his base computer (the logmein app on the ipad is pretty fab).

Which brings me to another point, which is that whereas logmein / RDP / VNC and Citrix connections were all perfectly possible with the iphone / touch, actually doing anything was rather a chore (i.e. read impossible). However, the iPAD is quite a different kettle of fish - I can see that it will be very powerful for connection to client sites at a time when it might not be convenient to have a laptop around.

In addition, a quick hunt for html on the iTunes store finds quite a few html editor applications for the ipad:
Web Page Developer looks pretty good (even previews page).
eWebEditor also looks quite good (but I haven't looked properly).
Any way you can look for yourself
Thanks great help. Looks like the customer review indicate that they are not quite ready yet (at least for Macs).

Guy Mancuso

The iPhone power cord will charge the iPad, but more slowly than the 10W iPad charger.
Probably so Brad. I had her take the Ipad charger with her and than she can do the Iphone as well. Nice though only one charger with two devices. Looks like i won't see the Ipad for almost two weeks but be interesting to see how my wife does as a normal business person without photo needs does on the road with it. I did buy her Pages and Keynote so she can work and see word docs from her office. They do need to find a way to print to a printer on a wifi system at different locations for people. Not sure they do yet but I do see that as a need

Terry

Probably so Brad. I had her take the Ipad charger with her and than she can do the Iphone as well. Nice though only one charger with two devices. Looks like i won't see the Ipad for almost two weeks but be interesting to see how my wife does as a normal business person without photo needs does on the road with it. I did buy her Pages and Keynote so she can work and see word docs from her office. They do need to find a way to print to a printer on a wifi system at different locations for people. Not sure they do yet but I do see that as a need
General rules of thumb
iPad charger charges fastest (10W)
iPhone charger will be slow but better with iPad turned off (5W)
newer USB port will charge very slowly but better with iPad off (4.5?W)
old USB port generally won't charge
reported that iPad sucks about 2.5W running

There are apps for printing but there should be something either over wifi or bluetooth that is native.

Terry

Best Photo Editing App ???

So far the best photo editing App I've found for the iPad is Photogene. Anyone have other suggestions?

I honestly think this App does everything I would need on the road to email out a shot uploaded from an SD card.

straighten/crop (with preset aspect ratios if desired)
exposure, highlight, shadow, saturation, color temp and RGB sliders
Levels, curves
Borders
lots of special effect presets including B&W (you can get B&W by desaturating)

Not sure why I never used the iPhone version but just added it as well. Just played with the iPhone version. iPad App is much more sophisticated.

I am having one problem with the App that I'm not sure is iPad or App related. I emailed a shot to myself. It shows up fine on my MBP email but shows just as a blue box with ? on my iPad email. I've sent a note to the developers and posted on the Apple discussions forum. Will post as I find out more.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Is there an application that will let you read and maybe edit pc word processing & spread sheets? I guess a ipad parallax.

bradhusick

Is there an application that will let you read and maybe edit pc word processing & spread sheets? I guess a ipad parallax.
iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) will read and write MS Office format documents, spreadsheets and presentations. I haven't tried them on the iPad but they're only $10 each so they might be worth trying.

Guy Mancuso

I bought them for my wife's Ipad not sure it works but gives me a idea to send something to her and see if it does

Terry

There is a guided tour video for each of the iWork Apps.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/

Keynote looks like it can be really good for a photo slide show that you can email. Keynote has great transitions. Even if you aren't planning to get an iPad these videos are worth watching as I think what you can do with the iWork Apps using multitouch is pretty amazing.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I use Keynote on the big shows i do in New York and LA every year. Some come from Powerpoint that i convert to Keynote than add the much better transitions from Keynote. I also use keynote separately for some other parts of the show. Plus I use Iphoto when i do thousands of images at once. Here is where I see the power of the Ipad. Usually I do all the work in the computer room on my MBP than go upstairs to the booth and run the shows. I could actually load the ipad and use that in the booth to actually run the show. Better yet on some parts of the show when I am not involved with presenting it on screen i can send someone else to the booth and run the Ipad without using my computer or a rented one. Now the question is on 20ft screens how is this going to work. I have 2 20ft screens and about 12 LCD floating screens in the ballroom all being synced to my laptop. can a Ipad take on the big boys . LOL

The other cool part is you can work on the show as you travel and move it to the big computers. So in essence this could be a very powerful tool in the real world besides showing off some product in a marketing meeting. The other cool part is Ican use the Ipad for Guy Mancuso Portfolio presentations and this to me is the power. Several things I can do is show my book to shooting clients. Show my images for sale to galleries and such for the printed piece. Carry maybe 10 samples of prints and the rest of your images on the Ipad to take orders. Part three go to clients to sell prints for wall art.

Yea my head has been spinning lately since a Epson 7900 printer comes next week. Frankly it is time to start selling my art via printing. The ipad as I see it for me could very well be a great marketing tool via keynote and presentation stuff like this. In the end maybe I am glad I got the 64gb version for my wife. I can use it when she is not traveling which is a lot but that is coming to a end per say at least for awhile.

Guy Mancuso

I should have added here there are some unique features on the Ipad version that would be awesome on the computer version. Multiple moves for one and rework the images in a slide with smart move I think they called it.

Diane B

There is a guided tour video for each of the iWork Apps.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/

Keynote looks like it can be really good for a photo slide show that you can email. Keynote has great transitions. Even if you aren't planning to get an iPad these videos are worth watching as I think what you can do with the iWork Apps using multitouch is pretty amazing.
Thanks for these. I passed them on to a friend that got an Ipad last weekend. Since I feel sure I will get an Ipad, I found them helpful--giving me a good idea of what I will be able to do and what will be harder to accomplish. And--by the time I get one, I will have all the pieces put together thanks to all of you :D I'm waiting for the camera connection, etc. to come out and see how you like it---and then decide how long to wait :ROTFL: