The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: Apple Tablet Thread and Predictions for the Day

Looking to see what ports it has. It has USB but what else

LJL

$29.99 a month for unlimited 3G data... sounds so amazing... if only it wasn't AT&T...
There is the provision for using on any GSM network that uses micro-SIM cards.....the iPad is unlocked.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Well for 499 no 3g it maybe perfect for my wife. For us not so sure, seems my Iphone does all we want outside of having a laptop anyway.

Guy Mancuso

And that is all that is announced folks. MP, MBP, Iphone updates ????????????????????????????

D

Devon Shaw

There is the provision for using on any GSM network that uses micro-SIM cards.....the iPad is unlocked.

LJ
This is true. I am not sure how it is other places but in the Bay Area at least the GSM data options are AT&T and T-Mobile, neither of which perform too spectacularly.

I don't know what I was expecting from this announcement but I must say.. feels a little underwhelming. Luxury product and I can't where it is supposed to fit between my current combination of Macbook and iPod Touch.

Ben Rubinstein

Re: Apple Tablet Thread and Discussions

Pardon me if I'm missing something but this looks like a big version of an itouch. It's not a laptop replacement, heck I don't think it's a netbook replacement even. I can run LR and CS4 off my netbook with a spare battery and a camera for talking to my wife when travelling. Also seems to be far from the portable tethering machine that lots of photographers got excited anticipating...

Guy Mancuso

Check this out

iPad Camera Connection Kit
The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This looks like a great device, particularly for being first generation. I'm a bit surprised that they didn't go to 128GB storage though. That would make it better for storing photos when traveling. Now we just need Adobe to develop iPad versions of PS and/or LR...

Terry

This is perfect for me and my travels. On the road it covers essentially everything I need. If I can use my micro 4/3 camera (or SD cards) with it that is all I need for non Photo-centric travels. There already is a Photoshop App for iPhone. I am sure we will see other apps. I would not be the least bit surprised if an iPhoto app to make adjustments to jpegs would work.

I know this isn't all that everyone wanted but for me it pretty much nails a lot of my wishes. Love my iPhone. Like my kindle. Give me a combo of both on steroids and I am totally excited. Now the question is can I hold out for the extra 30 days for the 3G version or will I have to get a wifi for the month and sell it when the 3g hits the market. Yes, I'm bad!

Great for the tray table on an airplane....where even a 13" laptop is now a nuisance. Just flip open the case and watch a movie on a decent sized screen. Most of my SF to NY flights now have Wifi. Travel can now be a bit more civilized.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Check this out

iPad Camera Connection Kit
The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card.
I hope it's better implemented than the iPod CF, which I have and is a piece of ****.

My netbook has an SDHC slot, much easier than a connector.

monza

Looks pretty interesting, trying to figure out if I need something between my MBP and my iPhone. And do I need an even bigger display with my fingerprints all over it. :)

jonoslack

Well, interesting that the one thing we all accepted was a 10.5" screen . . . :ROTFL:
Otherwise it's exactly what I expected . . . I thought the telling thing was right at the end where they said:
75 million people already know how to use it:
Of course it's true - the average girl/guy (who has an iphone) going in to pc world and playing with a netbook . . . . then they go to an apple store and play with this. Bit of a no-brainer really!
For those who don't travel from country to country much the 'no contract' data doesn't seem that significant, but in Europe, going a few hundred miles to the next country on business with an iphone can run up data bills which will pay for an ipad in a fortnight. The idea that you can grab a month's contract for $30 on a trip abroad with unlimited data . . .. and then do proper email and documents with something which will slip in the back pocket of a briefcase . . .

I'll just hope for my Aperture 3 plug in!

My problem is going to be the same as Terry's . . can I wait for that extra 30 days!

all the best

jonoslack

Amazing vitriol on other sites - just ran through a few, and I don't think I've seen more than a couple of positive remarks.
The geekerati seem to be personally offended by the fact that it doesn't have:
front camera
back camera
flash support
telephone
sd/firewire/usb sockets
multitasking (although I think that's an inference, and the apple applications certainly do multitask).

For me, something I can:
read books on
write emails on
RDP into a client's site on
write documents / presentations / spreadsheets on
use omnifocus on
buy cheap data when I'm abroad
look at photos when on a trip (and store them)
slip in the back pocket of my fogg camera bag
Like the look of every time I use it.

is rather wonderful . . . but then, my geek qualifications were always rather slight.

Jeremy

For me, something I can:
read books on
I wish it were the same for me as actual reading (not skimming or newspaper article length reading) of novels and research materials is too painful on a backlit screen after a relatively short period of time. There's too much eye strain and I suffer from bad headaches very quickly (something which has become only worse after suffering a concussion in November). So I'm still in the market for a Kindle/Nook type device, though I'm hoping this tablet will cause some downward pressure on their pricepoints.

Terry

I wish it were the same for me as actual reading (not skimming or newspaper article length reading) of novels and research materials is too painful on a backlit screen after a relatively short period of time. There's too much eye strain and I suffer from bad headaches very quickly (something which has become only worse after suffering a concussion in November). So I'm still in the market for a Kindle/Nook type device, though I'm hoping this tablet will cause some downward pressure on their pricepoints.
My Kindle will be up for sale pretty soon. :p It is a great product but for my needs the iPad will be better. I'm used to being on a backlit screen for long periods of time so I hope reading on it will also be pretty enjoyable.