Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: IPad Discussions

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: IPad Discussions

It's a great video, had me wetting myself!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    It's a great video, had me wetting myself!
    In that case it sounds like you do need one after all

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stephen Fry is somewhat known in the states: PBS broadcast "Jeeves and Wooster" (co-starring Hugh Laurie) years ago (it's still on YouTube), but I don't think many here are aware of his other personae. I just finished his book on his travels to the fifty states (in a London taxi). Too bad we can't see all his BBC work. (At least I can't; in may be on some cable channel I don't get.)

Steve

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Tom
    It rather depends - I travel a lot, and I need screen real estate and power - so it's a 17"mbp, the smaller macbooks don't do the business. This means that if I'm on a plane, in a bar, restaurant or whatever, the MBP is too big, and an ipad will be great for those other jobs one has to do (read email / books / web / etc.), and for which the iphone is a bit small.
    Exactly! I got my laptop because it is the absolute fastest portable computer on the market (or was until Dell upped the CPU from a QX9300 to an i7 920). But, it is unwieldy when traveling or out and about and the battery life is terrible. My Blackberry Storm, while keeping me connected and organized is too small to watch movies, read books, or browse the web for any amount of time. The iPad will make a perfect companion for me and my personal entertainment needs.

I've looked at the MB Air, 13" MBP, Dell Adamo, and Vostro V13. Seperate power adapter, at least 3.5-5 lbs. None of these have the horsepower or expandability that would allow me to replace my main travel workstation (not to mention the 17" 1920x1200 screen real estate that I won't give up). Ultimately, the iPad takes up the space of a magazine and weighs the same as an extra battery for my big laptop. I leave the extra battery behind, slide in the iPad, and I am good to go!

I could care less about doing much power-user stuff on this thing. I just want to watch movies, Tivo recordings, read books, have easy access to full HTML email, and comfortable casual web browsing. For work, I could use it to carry around commonly used PDFs, Excel sheets, Word Docs, and Powerpoint presentations for easy reference. Not sure I'd be doing much content creation.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David,
    Interesting for you that it is personal entertainment. I will use it the same way as you BUT would be ecstatic if my office would entertain the idea. Most of what I need to access remotely are attachments that are miserable on the blackberry. That is the only reason I have a work laptop at home and on the road. Looks like Apple feels there are a lot of users like me.....

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...s_sources.html

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree folks not everyday do you really need the horsepower. Be interesting to figure out in a 12 hour day what percentage we use the computing power versus the Ipad type of usage. Actually the last 3 hours being up I have not used the computer part but the Ipad part.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post

I could care less about doing much power-user stuff on this thing. I just want to watch movies, Tivo recordings, read books, have easy access to full HTML email, and comfortable casual web browsing. For work, I could use it to carry around commonly used PDFs, Excel sheets, Word Docs, and Powerpoint presentations for easy reference. Not sure I'd be doing much content creation.

David
    Quite right - but also .
    We were just discussing it's use in meetings - where having a laptop on the desk is a bit odd - having this flat on the table for making quick notes, bullet points etc. with an application like Omni-focus

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy -
    The only non iPad things I use a computer for are:

1. Photo editing - the biggie
    2. Scanning my document files
    3. As a gateway to mass storage of images/music/docs.
    4. Upgrading firmware
    5. Synching iPhone

Theoretically some of the 5 could be done differently in the future. For instance is there a reason why we wouldn't be able to download camera firmware to the iPad and copy it to an SD card? Is there a reason that in the future we wouldn't be able to store our itunes at Apple - already rumored.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Stephen Fry is somewhat known in the states: PBS broadcast "Jeeves and Wooster" (co-starring Hugh Laurie) years ago (it's still on YouTube), but I don't think many here are aware of his other personae. I just finished his book on his travels to the fifty states (in a London taxi). Too bad we can't see all his BBC work. (At least I can't; in may be on some cable channel I don't get.)

Steve
    Don't forget his wonderful turn as "ze Rat Man" in the Walter Matthau/Tim Robbins/Meg Ryan comedy "IQ".

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    David,
    Interesting for you that it is personal entertainment. I will use it the same way as you BUT would be ecstatic if my office would entertain the idea. Most of what I need to access remotely are attachments that are miserable on the blackberry. That is the only reason I have a work laptop at home and on the road. Looks like Apple feels there are a lot of users like me.....

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...s_sources.html
    Excellent article Terry - the thing seems to be more and more compelling the more one thinks about it.

Just this guy you know

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I'm wondering if the iPad will support tabbed web browsing.....

Just did a quick tally of the open tabs on my laptop right now:

Firefox: 57
    IE: 3
    Chrome: 32

Total: 92 currently open tabs.... yes, I am a glutton.

Then, I thought about multitasking. In addition to the three browsers I also have open: 7 PDF docs, 2 notepad notes, 6 calcs, Lightroom 2.6 with my main catalog, 1 Word Doc, and 8 Excel Sheets - still missing the partridge in the pear tree, I guess. Even with all that, I still have 4.5 GB of free RAM and my CPU is running at 10% or less. Win 7 is actually pretty efficient.

Even on my BB, I'm a multitasking slave driver. While on a long road trip, I've had Pandora streaming, while using 2 different GPS nav tools, sending quick texts, and seeing emails that are coming in, all without shutting down any one of those. Or, when I am traveling, I'll be using the BB to tether to my laptop while still using it to check email, contacts, etc.

So, will I ultimately feel limited by having one thing open at a time?

Or, can I accept Steve Jobs as my savior and change my heathen ways???

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like

David, and some others might want to read through this recent study by folks at Stanford on just how "not good" all the multi-tasking is:

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2009/a...dy-082409.html

LJ

Oxide Blu

This is too funny -- just reading on Forbes that computer industry analysts are projecting Microsoft's Windows 7 will be one of the first and most popular apps for Apple's new iPad.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    David, and some others might want to read through this recent study by folks at Stanford on just how "not good" all the multi-tasking is:

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2009/a...dy-082409.html

LJ
    Interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

I mainly keep everything open for two reasons:

1) I like to have commonly used information readily accessible
    2) Because I can

I actually like to focus on one thing at a time. When CNN (and every other news channel) added the ticker at the bottom of the screen, it drove me crazy.... it still does. A lot of MySpace web pages strike me as visual noise with no point of focus. So, upon reflection, I guess I am the anti-multitasking multitasker.

Really, for me, I read a lot and attempt to process as much info as I can on topics/products that I am researching. Whether cars, computers, cameras, real estate or energy policy, I create different tabs for each relevant page I run across (middle mouse click on a link). I then read each one in-depth before moving on to the next. Or, I might compare the specs found on one page with those from another. Then, after an hour or so, I might switch gears to something else, like reading the forums, going through emails, working on a blog post, or editing photos. But not all at once.

So, if I could just have tabs on the iPad Safari browser to park my research, I'd be happy.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David,
    Right now on the iPhone you can keep multiple pages open at once. I believe it is up to 8 of them. In addition here is a quote on browsing from AppleInsider:

"There’s also a thumbnail view that shows all your open pages in a grid, to let you quickly move from one page to the next."

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...lications.html

Oxide Blu

Here's a short but good read about the iPad from someone that actually knows technology -- not so much speculation or unrealistic exceptions of future apps. I think he nails it.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13526_3-10444796-27.html

"But the iPad isn't a notebook replacement, and I don't think users will carry it with them on business trips. ... this is a consumer electronics device for puttering around the house and leisure time--reading books and Web sites on the couch, showing pictures off to friends, catching up on the latest Web videos. And, yes, listening to music."

A couple more good reads on the iPad from Cnet:

http://www.businessinsider.com/henry...s-is-it-2010-1

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10443604-37.html

It's an entirely different story then we are getting from the Apple-holics. If I were to believe what the Apple fanatics are saying, we'd think the iPad is going to cure tooth decay. It is a nifty little device and someday it might have some uses for photographers. But it seems that day isn't here, yet.

And Jono -- it seems I am not the only one that thinks Apple product is overpriced:

... the price for the full-fledged 3G 64G iPad version ($829), which is way too expensive for a big mobile device (especially with the $30/month AT&T contract). ... it's not today's $499 price that's important--$499 is still too expensive for what the iPad is.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And of course in the UK we're looking at 400 minimum just to start...
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

>$499 is still too expensive for what the iPad is

Depends. If the competition presents an equally well designed tool at lower price, then yes.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is like the mirror image of a Leica thread: rather than fanboys getting bent out of shape when someone is critical of their "tool," we have people getting bent out of shape because others are too optimistic about the iPad.

I don't think I need one, but it doesn't get me concerned that people want them and, God forbid, might even enjoy them. I look forward to Terry's reviews of the non-3G version, the 3g version, the camera version, and whatever comes next.

Post Thanks / Like

>This is like the mirror image of a Leica thread

Of course. But in that case all cameras take pictures, right. Can you enjoy reading on your couch a book in color with other devices of that type?

I don't own an iPhone (pay $100 per year on mobile phone and may skip the iPad for now.

PS: I looked at the first e-book readers in 1998/99 and it was clear the technology was not ready: Battery life and also only B&W.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I look forward to Terry's reviews of the non-3G version, the 3g version, the camera version, and whatever comes next.

and ouch! at the same time....Jono also has to do a review (of each) as he is just as big a gear slut as I am.

Post Thanks / Like

and ouch! at the same time....Jono also has to do a review (of each) as he is just as big a gear slut as I am.
    Wait for the offers from CNET .
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve
    Loved the Jeeves and Wooster series.....this post prompted me to check Netflix for other movies where Stephen Fry appeared. I had no idea that he was in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Lots of shows on Netflix with Stephen Fry.....and now I've got to see the series "A Bit of Fry and Laurie"! :-)

On the iPad topic.....I will eventually get an iPad if for only one reason....reading e-books. I've been enjoying e-books (Lexcycle Stanza and public domain books from Feedbooks) with my iTouch, but it will be so much better on the iPad.

Gary

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i'd like to hear from an ipadder who has read 100 pgs of their e-book at one sitting; that is where the kindle excels, that and a 3-4 day battery life

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    i'd like to hear from an ipadder who has read 100 pgs of their e-book at one sitting; that is where the kindle excels, that and a 3-4 day battery life
    I completely agree. There is a reason they went to e-ink technology and it is very easy to read for long stretches on the Kindle. My problem is my eyes seem to now be able to out last my attention span and I never seem to read for long periods of time anymore.

Battery life doesn't bother me as much because I'm so trained to plug everything in before going to bed.

The downside to both the Kindle and iPad for flying is that you can't use them from door closed until 10,000 feet and when you are sitting on the runway 40th in line for takeoff at JFK that is exactly when you want to use it.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The downside to both the Kindle and iPad for flying is that you can't use them from door closed until 10,000 feet and when you are sitting on the runway 40th in line for takeoff at JFK that is exactly when you want to use it.
    I've heard this is where the new paper and ink tech really comes in handy.

Unfortunately, there is no backlighting and the memory is limited to only one book or magazine per device...and no 3G downloads, either.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry,

You're going to have to outsource the eBook testing. We need to know whether one can actually read a book on the thing. Maybe we'll have to wear special glasses for reading:

Steve

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From Macrumors. Seems obvious to me Apple wants to avoid any technology that is on the bubble or not implemented very well in the market. My take on it and the next Iphone sounds like there real winner. Very interesting comment on Adobe

Steve Jobs held a town hall meeting with Apple employees late last week following the iPad launch. Wired reports on what was said at the meeting by Steve Jobs. Two of the biggest topics included Google and Adobe.

On Google, Jobs confirms the much-reported competition between the two companies.
    On Google: We did not enter the search business, Jobs said. They entered the phone business. Make no mistake they want to kill the iPhone. We won’t let them, he says.

As for Adobe, Jobs said they are lazy and Jobs blames Adobe for a buggy implementation of Flash on the Mac as one of the reasons they won't support it.
    Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy, he says. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it’s because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, he says. The world is moving to HTML5.

Those are the main points covered by Wired's article. We had received a more detailed report of the Apple meeting, but hadn't been able to corroborate it until now. Many of the details of the Wired report line up with our anonymous submission, so we believe it likely to be accurate. Some additional key points that we learned:

- Apple will deliver aggressive updates to iPhone that Android/Google won't be able to keep up with
    - iPad is up there with the iPhone and Mac as the most important products Jobs has been a part of
    - Regarding the Lala acquisition, Apple was interested in bringing those people into the iTunes team
    - Next iPhone coming is an A+ update
    - New Macs for 2010 are going to take Apple to the next level BRING IT ON
    - Blu-Ray software is a mess, and Apple will wait until sales really start to take off before implementing it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's Sunday morning, and I'm in bed with coffee and breakfast. I'm sitting here with my MBP even though I'm not working; it has about a 2.5 hour battery life browsing and reading. I'm not working. I'm not editing video or photos.

I'd love to have an iPad on my night table, sitting on a dock as a fancy alarm clock. When I want to browse or check something it's within arm's reach. It's not going to run out of battery until I'm done. It doesn't get hot, it's small enough to be comfortable, but big enough to read on.

Heck, I might even subscribe to the NYT...

I think Apple hit the nail squarely on the head with this one.

Oxide Blu

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post

I'd love to have an iPad on my night table, sitting on a dock as a fancy alarm clock. When I want to browse or check something it's within arm's reach. It's not going to run out of battery until I'm done. It doesn't get hot, it's small enough to be comfortable, but big enough to read on.

All tablets, not just the iPad, have the same issue -- you have to always hold them. With a laptop the display is hinged to a supporting keyboard, pop it open, adjust the viewing angle, and read. Reading with a tablet in bed you will have to figure out some way to prop up your legs, shove a wad of linen behind the thing to get a viewing angle, hopefully the text is horizontal, and then don't move or your tablet slides to a diff position you can't read from. Same problem with using tablets on an airplane -- always have to be holding them. I think it is only an issue because we compare tablets to laptops and not magazines. Printed magazines have always had the same issue, you always have to hold them to read 'em.

Apple is a 3rd-party magnet -- someone will eventually design a support for iPad that makes it possible to read on the thing, hands free. It would be nice if Apple had designed a couple recesses in the frame that could be used to attach the iPad to some kind of support. Even just a 1/4-in tripod socket would do it -- that and a Joby tripod would let you prop up one leg in bed, wrap the tripod around your leg, and read away on your iPad.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oxide Blu View Post
    Apple is a 3rd-party magnet -- someone will eventually design a support for iPad that makes it possible to read on the thing, hands free. It would be nice if Apple had designed a couple recesses in the frame that could be used to attach the iPad to some kind of support. Even just a 1/4-in tripod socket would do it -- that and a Joby tripod would let you prop up one leg in bed, wrap the tripod around your leg, and read away on your iPad.
    They've already done it...with the black cover.

Oxide Blu

They've already done it...with the black cover.

I think the black cover will be good for hard surfaces, but for reading in bed I still like the 1/4-inch tripod socket and a Joby wrapped round one leg idea better.

The stand with a keyboard in front is interesting -- not by itself but for what it implies -- imagine lifting the lid of your laptop, sliding out the LCD display, and walking away with a light-weight, touchscreen tablet for movies, music, ebooks ... Now that would be something to get excited about!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oxide Blu View Post

The stand with a keyboard in front is interesting -- not by itself but for what it implies -- imagine lifting the lid of your laptop, sliding out the LCD display, and walking away with a light-weight, touchscreen tablet for movies, music, ebooks ... Now that would be something to get excited about!
    I think it will eventually happen.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's only 1.5 lbs, so no more than a book. I think I'll be able to hold it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"[F]or reading in bed I still like the 1/4-inch tripod socket and a Joby wrapped round one leg idea better."

Or perhaps you could hang it from the ceiling, or have a hat with a fitting that suspends it in front of your face. Of course, the hat wouldn't be appropriate for driving.

Oxide Blu

"[F]or reading in bed I still like the 1/4-inch tripod socket and a Joby wrapped round one leg idea better."

Or perhaps you could hang it from the ceiling, or have a hat with a fitting that suspends it in front of your face.
    And run the risk of interfering with the propeller on top?!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"And run the risk of interfering with the propeller on top?!?"

I'm sure that could be worked around. Besides, I have more than one hat.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I always take my propeller off before I go to bed . . . don't you?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,

The Hatdapter (c) would only be used when walking around or sitting upright; in bed one would use the ceiling mounted Skyhook (c). Of course, you could also install a Skyhook (c) over your favorite reading chair.

In addition, our research department is working on an as yet unnamed device involving the use of a lighter than air inert gas (no danger of a Hindenberg event) which would make the iPad weightless. If your eyes and battery would allow, you could read War and Peace with nary a cramp!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, that would be the iHatdapter.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone see Steven Colbert with the iPad last night as he opened to Grammy Awards. I wonder how much Apple paid for that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    Steve, that would be the iHatdapter.

and the iSkyHook too (to make it easier on my little eye)

Just this guy you know

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the ipad was upstaged by lady gaga

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone see Steven Colbert with the iPad last night as he opened to Grammy Awards. I wonder how much Apple paid for that.
    I did--"Am I cool now??" LOL

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    the ipad was upstaged by lady gaga
    And/or Pink??

Oxide Blu

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Well, I always take my propeller off before I go to bed . . . don't you?

Oxide Blu

My guess is the Grammys asked Apple for the prop so they could look cool with something that is currently in the news. I wonder if TV shows and Hollywood movies are now going to be inundated with iPad props in every scene.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"And/or Pink??"

Wait a sec; do you mean that Lady Gaga and Pink are two different people?

Pink was amazing, though I find it hard to believe she was actually singing throughout. If she was, she's an athlete.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

she probably wasn't able to take a deep breath in that outfit

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just this guy you know