The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes it is getting a lot of heat for what it don't have BUT I do see it has it's place and for many folks also a Iphone may not be necessary. You could actually back down your phone to JUST a phone and this as your source for e-mail and all the other stuff. Now for non photographers like my wife that does a lot of travel this would fit her very well. She can get e-mail,surf, read a book and i do like the idea of a prepaid 3g for 15 dollars for the month. So maybe buy a 3g model and use it when you travel or something.

Let's put it this way they will sell more than they can make in a year so even all the folks that complain about it someone else will buy it, no question.

O

Oxide Blu

Re: Apple Tablet Thread and Predictions for the Day

Always fun to wish upon a Apple.

I wish Apple would price a product, any Apple product, reasonably, so the product could be given serious consideration. :p :D

O

Oxide Blu

$29.99 a month for unlimited 3G data... sounds so amazing... if only it wasn't AT&T...

From what I've been reading this past month about the iPhone, it seems ATT is ok with dumping Apple, wishing Apple would unlock the iPhone. The iPhone's 3G transfers in SF and NY are bogging down ATT's infrastruction, wants to share the burden with other carriers.

Apple-holics, on the other hand, claim ATT is not spending enough to upgrade their system to support 3G phones, any 3G phones, not just the iPhone.

Speculation is the iPhone/ATT union is in marriage counseling, headed for a divorce. Could be good for both Apple iPhone sales and ATT. On the flip side, Apple just said iPhone apps sales are barely breaking even. So what are folks using the iPhone for? ... and project the lack of app sales to other smart phones coming onto the market. Kind of leaves a big blank area in the handy phone market.

Last edited:
O

Oxide Blu

Re: Apple Tablet Thread and Discussions

Check this out

iPad Camera Connection Kit
The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card.

Or ... sit tight, save your money, and in a very short time you will be able to stream your photo session/video, in real time, to your Windows based PC, wherever it is in the world.

jonoslack

I wish Apple would price a product, any Apple product, reasonably, so the product could be given serious consideration. :p :D
Well. Their recent financial statement suggests that someone gives their products serious consideration.

All the best

O

Oxide Blu

Well. Their recent financial statement suggests that someone gives their products serious consideration.

Yup -- just like the tulip bubble of the 17th century.

The difference is that Apple is sitting on a mountain of cash. Tulip farmers weren't. ;)

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I've been considering adding a MB Air or Dell Vostro V13 ultralight laptop. Both of these would run a full-blown OS (OS X or Win 7), have ports for expansion, etc. The Dell starts at $449 (about $800 for a fully-spec'd config), the Air is about $1500 and both weigh in at 3.5 lbs and measure 0.6in "thin".

My logic was that I need my full size M6400 "laptop" with me when I travel (which I am doing a lot more of these days). I love the desktop workstation speed of my quad-core, RAID 0 SSD, 17" beast, but I hate, hate, hate (did I say hate?) the abysmal 1 hour battery life (yes, I am serious and not exaggerating). The video card alone chugs 75 watts of power!

So, I wanted to carry an ultralight also when I travel. This would give me something to do while I was in airplanes, cabs, trains, hotel lobbies, etc. instead of scoping out a nearby power outlet or twiddling my thumbs and cursing my power-sucking imaging machine for not even allowing me the distraction of watching a single movie all the way through.

Now, with the iPad, I could slip one right into my laptop bag and be happy. I could even charge it from my laptop at night without having to lug any additional power adapters. I think that I would also grab a bluetooth Mac keyboard so I could do some serious typing. An iMac keyboard is pretty small and light so no concern there. Really, this thing looks great, except for the lack of Flash support and the fact that it can only do one thing at a time (so no MP3s playing in the background while typing a report :( ).

Now, I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on the Dell and just have to bide my time until the iPad is available. Hmm... I wonder what it would do with an S2 file at full res... or, if Leica's software team might cook up something that would run over USB. That would be very cool, although I would be content to watch a couple of movies on a transcon.

David

Check this out

iPad Camera Connection Kit
The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card.
My photoblog and Leica lens reviews: http://www.danielvalentephotography.com/

Well - the iPad was announced today and while Steve Jobs did a really good job at showing the features they glossed over what I deem to be the most important accessory - at least for photographers. You can get a digital camera connection kit which comes with a dock-usb and dock-sdhc card reader. Now imagine you are at a shoot or on vaction and do not want to bring your laptop. You now have a 500 dollar 10” viewing screen and also photo backup. At the end (or in the middle) of the shoot, dump the images to the ipad and quickly show proofs or browse at the end of the session. The ipad along with 3g will allow you to photo-blog Instantly! right from a shoot. Imagine shooting the wedding and having people at the reception be able to log onto your website and by photo/order prints before the bride and groom even cut the cake. The ipad is a game changer for sure. It makes 300 dollar Archos storage devices now look like a joke.

Now… if we can tether our cameras to the ipad… that would be something truly special…

Thank you Apple.

Terry

Really, this thing looks great, except for the lack of Flash support and the fact that it can only do one thing at a time (so no MP3s playing in the background while typing a report :( ).

David
Don't rule that out. On the iPhone you can have iTunes going (playing music) the background with other things - like email.

Terry

My photoblog and Leica lens reviews: http://www.danielvalentephotography.com/

Well - the iPad was announced today and while Steve Jobs did a really good job at showing the features they glossed over what I deem to be the most important accessory - at least for photographers. You can get a digital camera connection kit which comes with a dock-usb and dock-sdhc card reader. Now imagine you are at a shoot or on vaction and do not want to bring your laptop. You now have a 500 dollar 10” viewing screen and also photo backup. At the end (or in the middle) of the shoot, dump the images to the ipad and quickly show proofs or browse at the end of the session. The ipad along with 3g will allow you to photo-blog Instantly! right from a shoot. Imagine shooting the wedding and having people at the reception be able to log onto your website and by photo/order prints before the bride and groom even cut the cake. The ipad is a game changer for sure. It makes 300 dollar Archos storage devices now look like a joke.

Now… if we can tether our cameras to the ipad… that would be something truly special…

Thank you Apple.
This was the gist of an email conversation I had earlier today. I am sure there is going to be a decent application to actually do some work on the photos as well. Even if it is iPhoto I'd be happy to make some jpeg edits.

Analog6

Wonder how much it will be for us here in Oz. AT least 1.5 or 2x the US$ price. From the pics in the local paper it looks gorgeous, I want one already! And the apple store says not available until March.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Thank you Apple.
It can't be rocket science to write an application that does that. With a WiFi enabled camera and jpegs to the iPad and RAWs to the in-camera card, the operation would even be rather swift. If I were a camera manufacturer, I would look into that today rather than tomorrow.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Wonder how much it will be for us here in Oz. AT least 1.5 or 2x the US$ price. From the pics in the local paper it looks gorgeous, I want one already! And the apple store says not available until March.
I thought Apple prices were more or less the same worldwide, except local taxes?

O

Oxide Blu

I thought Apple prices were more or less the same worldwide, except local taxes?
They are but Apple does adjust the price of product sold int'l as the dollar rises and falls (strengthens/weakens). No idea how often the adjust is made, monthly, quarterly, annually ... ? There are also import tariffs and "dumping" fees imposed by some countries that gets folded into the final retail cost that US consumers don't see.

And if you buy a new iThingy in California, add 10% to the retail cost -- sales tax. :(

PeterL

Don't rule that out. On the iPhone you can have iTunes going (playing music) the background with other things - like email.
The iPad runs iPhone OS 3.2, and is essentially a giant iPod touch (+ 3G if you so choose). So it will behave like the iPhone/iPod touch with respect to playing music, so as you say, you can play music while typing an email. It does not run MacOS - so any multitasking is not possible. One app at a time, just like the iPhone. That's why you don't want to give up your MBP yet. I don't see this changing anytime soon, because it's clear to me Apple wants the same development platform for both devices (at least for now). Considering there are 58 million iPhone out there, that makes some sense.;)

Cheers, -Peter

Last edited: