Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: IPad Discussions

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: IPad Discussions

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Anyone see Steven Colbert with the iPad last night as he opened to Grammy Awards. I wonder how much Apple paid for that.
    Colbert had been asking for the iPad, repeatedly, even before it was released... don't think they had to pay a dime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

my biggest pet peeve with the iPad, Kindle, Nook, and whatnot, is the fact that none of them are waterproof.

if they can make waterproof housing for a camera, why can't anybody come up with something for these???

sigh.

regular books may get worse for the wear in a bath, their pages all crinkly, but at least they can survive an occasional dunk. make me an e-reader that can withstand bubbles and i'm all over it!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    my biggest pet peeve with the iPad, Kindle, Nook, and whatnot, is the fact that none of them are waterproof.

if they can make waterproof housing for a camera, why can't anybody come up with something for these???

sigh.

regular books may get worse for the wear in a bath, their pages all crinkly, but at least they can survive an occasional dunk. make me an e-reader that can withstand bubbles and i'm all over it!
    Enjoy your bath

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

sigh.

I'm right with you in this . . . nothing nicer than reading in the bath with a good book and a glass of wine. The real danger point is snoozing off and dropping the book in . . . maybe Terry has the answer.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Enjoy your bath

ooh oooh ooooh oooooh ooooooh oooooooh ooooooooh oooooooooh ooooooooooh oooooooooooh ooooooooooooh!!!

have i told you recently that i loved you???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    "And/or Pink??"

Wait a sec; do you mean that Lady Gaga and Pink are two different people?

Pink was amazing, though I find it hard to believe she was actually singing throughout. If she was, she's an athlete.
    I don't think she was---if so, wow LOL but singing laying down you usually get a different 'sound'. Quite a performance.

Oxide Blu

Now that the iPad is old news ...

A Second iPad On The Way?

Did you think the first iPad was a little...lacking? Small? Anemic? If so, you might be in luck. TechCrunch has information from a "good" but second-hand source that Apple has another tablet close to launch. This device will have a larger screen than the iPad, and be closer to an iMac than an iPhone. In fact, it might even run on Apple's OS X.

This new iPad could go up to 15.4" in size. If that turns out to be the case, it will likely come bundled with its own keyboard/dock. It seems like Apple is looking to introduce a "home" tablet that has a broader array of capabilities but lacks the portability of the current iPad. We could see this new wonder-tablet as early as this June, during the WWDC conference. Or Apple may wait until the Fall so that it can get this baby out in stores in time for the holiday shopping season.

All Apple rumors should be taken with a grain of salt. ...

DougDolde

The iPad could be a great way to accept credit cards in the field, specifically at shows, via Paypal. Assuming one has the 3G model with activated AT&T service.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have you been to a Apple store lately. You owe yourself a trip to one. They use a Itouch custom built for credit card orders. It's pretty dang slick too. No doubt we will see it in a Ipad. Just think a waitress may take your order and credit card all in one swoop someday.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

sigh.

Reading on the beach... nothing beats a printed paperback. Sandproof, high reflective contrast, very low power draw.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Oxide Blu

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post

The iPad could be a great way to accept credit cards in the field, specifically at shows, via Paypal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Have you been to a Apple store lately. ... They use a Itouch custom built for credit card orders. It's pretty dang slick too.
    You probably don't know this but that is exactly what the ipad does; a hand-held, touch screen, mobile computing thingy that swipes cards, facilitates fiscal transactions, does inventory verification and a crap load of other stuff useful to retailing. That would be the currently available ipad -- the one made by Fujitsu, not the soon to be available ipad from Apple. Also the reason why Fujitsu and Apple are headed into court -- over the name "ipad".

Fujitsu has been selling their ipads for the last 8-years.

Oxide Blu

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    From Macrumors. ...

As for Adobe, Jobs said they are lazy and Jobs blames Adobe for a buggy implementation of Flash on the Mac as one of the reasons they won't support it.
    Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy, he says. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it’s because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, he says. The world is moving to HTML5.

I have been following this for its entertainment value -- two CEOs (Apple and Adobe) poking sharp sticks at each other. What I am beginning to understand is that Apple is probably avoiding Flash because they cannot control the user content delivered through Flash. Apple makes money by controlling content, like movies and music bought from iTunes. Those same movies and music can be played via Flash without having to toss coins into Apple's purse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can play music on my iPod without tossing any money to Jobs. Currently I have 802 songs in my iTunes music folder, of which two were purchased from the iTunes store. The rest came from CDs, some of which I've owned for years. Just like you can load books on your Kindle without buying them from Amazon, you can load music on your iPod.

Oxide Blu

I can play music on my iPod without tossing any money to Jobs. Currently I have 802 songs in my iTunes music folder, of which two were purchased from the iTunes store. The rest came from CDs, some of which I've owned for years.
    Can you download audio and/or video content from the web to your ipod without going through iTunes?

I don't have and won't have an ipod simply because it does not support FLAC compression. My preference are the Cowon products (Korean). They support a smorgasbord of compression algorithms -- have excellent audio reproduction.

My audio library consists of 10's of thousands of songs, almost entirely from CDs I've collected over the years. Media Monkey (freeware) is an outstanding application for managing large audio libraries. The search and sort functions are good and they are fast. MM will rip, play, and author a variety of audio formats, including vorbis and FLAC, except MP3. MP3 authoring requires a license -- $30. For the last couple of years MM has been available for Apple platforms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Can you download audio and/or video content from the web to your ipod without going through iTunes?"

Don't know. iTunes is free and works well enough for me. Not sharing your apparent aversion to all things Apple, and not having wanted to do anything I can't do with iTunes, I haven't tried.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oxide Blu View Post
    I have been following this for its entertainment value -- two CEOs (Apple and Adobe) poking sharp sticks at each other. What I am beginning to understand is that Apple is probably avoiding Flash because they cannot control the user content delivered through Flash. Apple makes money by controlling content, like movies and music bought from iTunes. Those same movies and music can be played via Flash without having to toss coins into Apple's purse.
    LOL
    In the internet standards circle "Flash" is known as the "F-word".
    Proprietary, non-standards conformant junk, just a shade worse than dng.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Generally speaking, I despise Flash as it is typically used in web development (there are exceptions). It's an important (and unfortunate) element of displaying video in the current prevalent environment, and provides some tools of convenience at times (most of which can and should be offered in alternative forms), but it's over-used to the point of excess IMO. Nothing drives me off of a site faster than to meet with unnecessary flash-bloated pages.

Oxide Blu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post

... Nothing drives me off of a site faster than to meet with unnecessary flash-bloated pages.
    Ditto. Firefox + the Flashblock addon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a conceptual vision of a magazine reader, produced by Swedish publishing firm Bonnier. It was published in December last year.

http://www.bonnier.com/en/content/di...-mag-prototype

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Here's a conceptual vision of a magazine reader, produced by Swedish publishing firm Bonnier. It was published in December last year.

http://www.bonnier.com/en/content/di...-mag-prototype
    Have you looked at what Zinio is doing. Some of it looks similar? I don't know all of the players in the market but Zinio has been around for quite a while.

http://www.zinio.com/interactive/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

re Flash

my former boss, an American who had to cope with 2 scotsmen for many years sent me this quote last night

"It’s true that there’s a lot of Flash content out there. But Flash – see Adobe's reaction to the lack of Flash support on iPad here – is in no way part of the true language of the Internet. It’s Scottish-accented English. Sometimes it makes the language more colorful and entertaining, and sometimes it just renders it into unintelligible mush." ANDY IHNATKO

Made me smile

K

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One of my clients in Stockholm has a Scottish employee - who's anything but flashy though.

jamie123

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
    re Flash

my former boss, an American who had to cope with 2 scotsmen for many years sent me this quote last night

"It’s true that there’s a lot of Flash content out there. But Flash – see Adobe's reaction to the lack of Flash support on iPad here – is in no way part of the true language of the Internet. It’s Scottish-accented English. Sometimes it makes the language more colorful and entertaining, and sometimes it just renders it into unintelligible mush." ANDY IHNATKO

Made me smile

K
    I'd say it's more like American-accented English. We're all pretty used to it and most of the time it's ok but when it comes on too strong it can often be obnoxious and tacky. And the people who use it can have a tendency to exaggerate. Still, you might have a hard time going through the world without understanding American-accented English.

I don't know what the "true language" of the internet is but I know that it's pretty damn annoying to browse the internet without Flash. Most of the photographer's websites I have bookmarked are Flash based (livebooks etc.), most clothing companies have Flash websites, most web based games (tetris, pool, etc...the fun stuff to pass the time) are in Flash and the list goes on and on.
    Whether I like Flash or not, I need it to access about 50% of the websites I visit daily. Without Flash browsing the internet on the iPad seems to be more restrictive than browsing the internet in China.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

On the other hand, I use ClickToFlash with Safari on the Mac. This way *no* flash code runs unless I want it to. The vast majority I never enable.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can't resist posting this....pretty funny

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/06/...wn-paper-ipad/

hellcreig

Hi all.
    Could you use it as a mobile phone? Well, maybe. If you buy the additional functionality and (yet another) phone contract. But again, it's too big and clumsy to use simply as a phone replacement.

Oxide Blu

Quote Originally Posted by hellcreig View Post
    Hi all.
    Could you use it as a mobile phone? Well, maybe. If you buy the additional functionality and (yet another) phone contract. But again, it's too big and clumsy to use simply as a phone replacement.
    Welcome to the forum, hellcreig.

In general, voice over "phones" is becoming more and more insignificant. Data transfer is were the big money is. That iPad critter thingy is designed to use cell phone technology to transfer data (music, movies, applications, etc). Sure, it can do voice, too, but it is not necessary to pay the big bucks for wireless "voice".

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pre-orders to start next week. In stores April 3.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._march_12.html

http://www.apple.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Price point for Android-based 5 to 7 inch tablets seems to come in lower than I expected - $100 to $150 was mentioned today.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Got my order in for a 32gb today (wifi.) Who else is ordering?

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered a 64GB. Need to explore e-books on that device.

Uwe
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Uwe,

I'll be interested in your "test." Having used a Kindle for while, I wonder whether the iPad's backlit screen will be as enjoyable a "page." I hope it is.

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I ordered a wifi version and will swap it out with another family member or sell it when the 3Gs are released. 16GB wifi/32GB 3G

Post Thanks / Like

Uwe,

I'll be interested in your "test." Having used a Kindle for while, I wonder whether the iPad's backlit screen will be as enjoyable a "page." I hope it is.

Steve
    For my books any reader without color does not make any sense. Means I don't compare to kindle. Different to read a novel or a book on photography.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Uwe,

I think you're right that the reader market is different depending on what you intend to read. I use my Kindle for reading books while traveling. No color, no illustrations at all. Clearly, something like the iPad would be the choice for most magazines and for books with illustrations or photos. I wonder whether it would work for what I use my Kindle for. I'll have to visit the Apple store to see for myself.

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stephen I decided to try out my iPhone for reading to see if I could deal with it. I read for about 3 hours straight on my flight the other day and it was fine.....so I'm optimistic that the switch from Kindle to iPad won't b a problem. I do not enjoy the newspapers/magazines on the Kindle. I hope we get an iPhone app like Zino that shows magazine content in its actual print form and you turn the pages and zoom into what you want to read.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Especially for Cam and Jono at bath time.....

http://gizmodo.com/5502307/trendydig...dy-nor-digital

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Especially for Cam and Jono at bath time.....

http://gizmodo.com/5502307/trendydig...dy-nor-digital

awwwwww, thanks!!!

(as if i don't already spend too much time in the tub )

Post Thanks / Like

I will not buy one. Jamie said it perfectly in post # 173: without Flash the iPad is in my opinion a no go for photographers.

I was btw hoping for an iPad like a Macbook Air without cover and keyboard but with Multitouch technology – in other words a multitouch tablet computer. What we got is another gadget for to buy stuff in the next book, newspaper and app iStore departments.

My 0.02 $

Kai

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kindle reader app for iPad? Anybody want to buy a used Kindle?

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...#ixzz0j1DqFxgw

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The camera connection kit is now available for order on the Apple Store. Late April Delivery

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/27/...in-late-april/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So Terry,

What are you doing next Saturday?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So Terry,

What are you doing next Saturday?

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What any sensible gal would be doing....Playing with my iPad. I will be on the east coast so I have one lined up to arrive there. I still will most definitely end up with a 3G version a few weeks later.....so people here will probably have the opportunity to buy a very gently used version at the end of April.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What any sensible gal would be doing....Playing with my iPad. I will be on the east coast so I have one lined up to arrive there. I still will most definitely end up with a 3G version a few weeks later.....so people here will probably have the opportunity to buy a very gently used version at the end of April.

We have to wait until the end of April over here, and then we still don't get 'ibooks'
    grumble grumble.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link to the camera connector Terry.

Jono, is there any further word on ibooks in other countries or is that still going to be revealed at launch?

Post Thanks / Like

Of course--that's what any sensible gal would be doing

Just read an interesting article on Ipad in Newsweek--thought others might find it interesting.
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/235565/page/1
    Last edited by Diane B; 27th March 2010 at 12:40.

DougDolde

I just found out that Line2 will work on the iPad as well as the iPhone and iPod Touch. Probably the only way to make that iPad into a phone.

http://www,line2.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why do you need line 2? can't you simply use skype?

DougDolde

I don't know.

Is there an app for that?

Do you get a free toll free number with Skype?

Does it turn your iPod/iPad into a virtual WIFI phone?

Do you get voicemail and all the other features with Skype?

Line2 also works on the iPhone to let you use 3G or WIFI instead of cell minutes.