Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: IPad Discussions

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IPad Discussions

re Netflix:
    Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    I tried it and it seems to be ok.
    ABC streaming worked better than it does on my MacBook. Netflix was spotty though. Lots of stops and starts. Will try again tonight.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just flew from NY to SF 6 hours 22 minutes of flying time. Watched three full length movies (10 minutes left to watch on last one). 15 minutes of Sudoko. About 1/2 hour of Internet use in the AM. Battery charge remaining 60%. I am amazed. The screen quality for movies is astonishing. Movies all rented from iTunes. No wifi on board.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: IPad DiscussionsQ

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    re Netflix:

ABC streaming worked better than it does on my MacBook. Netflix was spotty though. Lots of stops and starts. Will try again tonight.

Agree on ABC. The app is better than the website. Very well done. When you are in portrait it is half screen of video and half screen of content info. As soon as you rotate to landscape you get full screen video.

I've logged on to Netflix and started a movie but didn't get far enough to have any comments.
    Last edited by Terry; 5th April 2010 at 07:45. Reason: typo

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    Looks like Goodreader $0.99 is doing a good job. I sell e-books as PDF so it is very important to me.

Tested briefly a 200 pages (complex layout) and 600 pages (medium complex layout) and they worked at first sight. Reading is very good. Goodreader even unzips files (I deliver as ZIP).
    Thanks - this is heads & shoulders above the other PDF readers. Excellent product.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IPad DiscussionsQ

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I've logged on to Netflix and started a movie but didn't get far enough to have any comments.
    Tried Netflix again but it was unusable. Not sure if their servers are overloaded or something? The video quality was also not nearly as good as ABC streaming (which so far has never hiccuped.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

leicarumors has a good video of the ipad displaying M9 compressed RAW files super-quick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The speed seems to match my experience. The rendering is excellent and really benefits from the contrast of the iPad screen to look extremely clear and sharp. I imported a bunch of DNG files into iPhoto and then had iTunes synch the library with iPad.

However, judging from the video someone needs to learn how to use the iPad & gestures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

you aint seeing the raw file... itunes makes a JPEG that it send to the ipad.. it doesn't send the RAW

get real guys.. .the ipad has the same processor as the iphone... I seriusly doubt it can do realtime RAW processing

K

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The iPad has a much faster CPU than the iPhone. But you are right, those must be JPEG.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
    you aint seeing the raw file... itunes makes a JPEG that it send to the ipad.. it doesn't send the RAW

get real guys.. .the ipad has the same processor as the iphone... I seriusly doubt it can do realtime RAW processing

K
    Hi Kevin
    I hope you had a grand Easter.
    Interesting point. . . . . . . . I'd like to know the answer to this - what happens if you import a bunch of RAW images from the camera connector watsit?

all the best to you both

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Kevin
    what happens if you import a bunch of RAW images from the camera connector watsit?
    Other than the fact that you will run out of space - quickly

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

seems like the trick to performance is in the way the memory is hooked up.... still it doesn't mean it can do RAW... your basic macbook pro struggles with RAW

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...phone_3gs.html

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Other than the fact that you will run out of space - quickly
    How do you know how much space I'll have on my ipad

seems like the trick to performance is in the way the memory is hooked up.... still it doesn't mean it can do RAW... your basic macbook pro struggles with RAW

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...phone_3gs.html
    Well - can the iPad do raw? or can't it?
    as for MBP and raw, due to a serious main board problem I've spent the last week with Aperture3 and a 13"MBP, and it's actually performed really well (i.e. not at all irritating).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

it depends if you take it into the bath with you

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well - can the iPad do raw? or can't it?
    as for MBP and raw, due to a serious main board problem I've spent the last week with Aperture3 and a 13"MBP, and it's actually performed really well (i.e. not at all irritating).
    Jono,

I bought a 64gb iPad for my wife yesterday...it will return tonight or tomorrow.

Interesting device...very fast great for books and browsing the web but....

1) No printing.

2) Single user...no ability to share while traveling with respect to profiles.

3) iPad Works not file level compatible with Mac Works or Word....will save a file but the formatting is lost...

Will be bringing home a 13 Macbook Pro for travel. Just too many compromises but #1 is a deal breaker.

Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    it depends if you take it into the bath with you
    Ah, Cam . . . you've discovered the unpleasant truth of the iPad . . . every time you take it into the bath it's memory halves

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, Cam . . . you've discovered the unpleasant truth of the iPad . . . every time you take it into the bath it's memory halves
    Smart enough that it is trying to forget?

Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post

1) No printing.

Bob
    There are apps for printing

Post Thanks / Like

There are apps for printing
    Of course but I feel this is a kludge and should be a system level process.

Thanks,

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

oh, for goodness sake! i was flirting with you...

nevermind

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,

I bought a 64gb iPad for my wife yesterday...it will return tonight or tomorrow.

Interesting device...very fast great for books and browsing the web but....

1) No printing.

2) Single user...no ability to share while traveling with respect to profiles.

3) iPad Works not file level compatible with Mac Works or Word....will save a file but the formatting is lost...

Will be bringing home a 13 Macbook Pro for travel. Just too many compromises but #1 is a deal breaker.

Bob
    Hi Bob
    Printing?
    as for 3) does that mean that a pages document in iWork for ipad will not be formatted if you send it to your mac? That sounds like a bug rather than a feature, and something that would be fixed. Not sure that I understand 2).

sorry it left you unhappy . . .

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure its a bug...on the Apple support forums it was pointed out that Apple is aware of this and expects users to deal with it at this point.

Let me suggest that if you need an electronic reader and web browser...do not expect to save a lot of stuff or print...it is amazing.

Just not for me at this time.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

I missed #2....only one person can sync iTunes...not like a powerbook where you can log in multiple users who have their own preferences and email profiles.

So everybody needs an iPad...great marketing.

Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Of course but I feel this is a kludge and should be a system level process.

Thanks,

Bob
    I guess I'm sort of immune from printing so it never bothered me with iPhone and now I haven't worried about it with the iPad. These days the only thing I seem to print are airline boarding passes and photos. However, in many cases I've stopped printing boarding passes in advance as the kiosks at the airport generally don't have lines.

The iPad for me isn't replacing a laptop although it will alter what I buy in laptops for the future. From this point forward I will only travel with a laptop on dedicated photo trips. All other trips will be with only the iPad. Yesterday I had both my 13" MBP and iPad with me on my way back to SF. There is still a significant difference in size between these two devices.

One of the best kept secrets on the iPad and I phone are the screen prints. If you've got something on the screen that you really don't want to lose, touch the home and on/off button at the same time and the device does a screen capture. I've used this a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob

the ipad is a personal device... just like the ipod and the iphone - if you want multiuser then a macbook is what you need

you wouldn't share your phone... so why would you share your ipad

anyway... thought you said you bought it for the wife :-)

K
    Last edited by kevinparis; 5th April 2010 at 16:00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I missed #2....only one person can sync iTunes...not like a powerbook where you can log in multiple users who have their own preferences and email profiles.

So everybody needs an iPad...great marketing.
    to me, this is what makes it so brilliant!

i bought a MacBook Air for my parents and they still don't know how to use it... my step-dad has kind of mastered the iPhone, but i don't think he's ever understand switching user accounts... i was trying to work out (long distance) how i could them to use it...

and then it hit me -- if i want them each to be able to check email with no confusion, the iPad is brilliant!

you can poo-poo it all you want, but simplicity can be mighty powerful.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob

the ipad is a personal device... just like the ipod and the iphone - if you want multiuser then a macbook is what you need

you wouldn't share your phone... so why would you share your ipad

K
    Completely correct which is why I have restored the puppy to factory status.

Two iPhones and two iPads make little sense...I am one of the few who do enjoy reading Kindle on the iPhone.

Wish I had known this Saturday morning...would save me a trip...but I guess it will give me a reason to grab a 13 macbook pro.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

These days the only thing I seem to print are airline boarding passes and photos.
    Boarding passes and a huge amount of email that requires written snail mail response for my wife require a significant print output for us.

Not a great deal as I discovered the Kindle reader for the iPhone while researching this and love it.

Thanks for the screen print tip....will put it to major use.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

i bought a MacBook Air for my parents and they still don't know how to use it... my step-dad has kind of mastered the iPhone, but i don't think he's ever understand switching user accounts... i was trying to work out (long distance) how i could them to use it...

and then it hit me -- if i want them each to be able to check email with no confusion, the iPad is brilliant!

Same problem here with parents in law....small town with little technical experience. I will probably give them a netbook as separating their accounts will keep them sane.

Dont get me wrong...it works for many is brilliant marketing ( you need two not one! ) and will sell in multiple iterations...each upgrade necessitating a
    new capital infusion.

I do love it...just cant ride at the present time.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Same problem here with parents in law....small town with little technical experience. I will probably give them a netbook as separating their accounts will keep them sane.
    Bob,

your in-laws sound more sophisticated... a netbook would confuse them to hell (as does the Air) as they'd never understand separate accounts... for the same amount of money, i can get them each their own iPad and show them how to hit the email icon.

web browsing, i'm afraid, may never come to pass...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My mother has an iMac that the kids bought her. Troubleshooting is a nightmare (I get the honor). It is all done over the phone with her having no clue and with me trying to explain what to do. She can use her iPhone pretty well (because the home key or hard reset seems to cure any problem she can create). I'm trying to convince her that the iPad is exactly what she would be happiest with. I will say on Saturday when she watched an TV episode on the ABC player she was impressed (much easier to navigate than their website). Now with the bookmark bar on the iPad safari browser I can make it even easier. The other way to simplify things for her is to save certain web pages as icons (like apps) and she can go from the home screen directly to her favorite sites.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing like iChat screen sharing when trouble shooting my mom's Mac. Usually it's not the mac that is the issue. She will be 87 this year and spends a great deal of time emailing her friends and sending photos. I can't imagine her using a pc and the support it would entail.

Maybe an iPad would be good for her too, with a keyboard dock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think that there's a good potential market for the iPad for people who only use a laptop today to browse the web, stream some audio/video and handle email. In my own case I'll be giving my WiFi iPad to my sister back in the UK as it'll be ideal for a tablet to use within the house. At the moment both my sister / brother in law have their own MacBooks (they're in their sixties and retired) and use them extensively with their wireless LAN. I moved them off PC's a LONG time ago as I end up doing the support remotely from 5000 miles away. For the majority of things an iPad will be ideal. The lack of flash though is still a pain ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

oh, for goodness sake! i was flirting with you...

nevermind
    Sorry . . . . sometimes I can be so obtuse . . . . anyway, and of course, it would only be my ipad whose memory would halve.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Nothing like iChat screen sharing when trouble shooting my mom's Mac. Usually it's not the mac that is the issue. She will be 87 this year and spends a great deal of time emailing her friends and sending photos. I can't imagine her using a pc and the support it would entail.

Maybe an iPad would be good for her too, with a keyboard dock.

My mother learned to use a PC when she moved near me 9+ years ago at 85 and is still using a PC every day at 94 LOL. Her biggest issue is eyesight (macular degeneration) and has to use software to magnify on her monitor to acceptable size (the software allows magnification various ways from 1.25x to 32x!!!!) to read any longer so an Ipad just won't work for her. She uses Picasa (though no longer can take photos), reads her newspapers from Pittsburgh, PA, emails and visits some other 'comfortable' sites. I do have to act as her IT though--but what a difference it makes in her daily life keeping in touch. For people without serious eyesight issues that need a simpler computing solution, seems the Ipad may be it.

Diane

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

if i could download images from my camera, even jpgs, using the ipad as a larger viewing screen, i'd be interested

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    if i could download images from my camera, even jpgs, using the ipad as a larger viewing screen, i'd be interested
    The camera connection kit should be out by the end of the month. Stay tuned...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The camera connection kit should be out by the end of the month. Stay tuned...
    Hi Terry
    The big question is whether it actually does support RAW files (or whether transferring stuff to it creates a full size jpg - As Kevin Suggested).
    Any ideas on this?
    Silas suggested transferring a raw image to it . . . . and then transferring it back to the mac to see if it was still a RAW file?

. . . . . it's just left Indianapolis . . . .

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    My mother learned to use a PC when she moved near me 9+ years ago at 85 and is still using a PC every day at 94 LOL. Her biggest issue is eyesight (macular degeneration) and has to use software to magnify on her monitor to acceptable size (the software allows magnification various ways from 1.25x to 32x!!!!) to read any longer so an Ipad just won't work for her. She uses Picasa (though no longer can take photos), reads her newspapers from Pittsburgh, PA, emails and visits some other 'comfortable' sites. I do have to act as her IT though--but what a difference it makes in her daily life keeping in touch. For people without serious eyesight issues that need a simpler computing solution, seems the Ipad may be it.

Diane
    Hi Diane
    I would have thought that the zooming on the ipad might make it very suitable for your mother? I did a bit of searching but couldn't find a definitive answer to whether there is assisted software built in or not.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is a zoom function on the settings menu under accessibility. I'm not sure if it zooms enough. The accessibility functions are generally for sight or hearing impaired so may be worth people looking into it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Has anyone used Zinio on their iPad?
    I hadn't renewed my subscription to The Economist and it is a Zinio title. Not sure how content will ultimately work with consolidated apps like Zinio or alternatively magazines going direct to the App store.
    Last edited by Terry; 6th April 2010 at 06:27.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Diane
    I would have thought that the zooming on the ipad might make it very suitable for your mother? I did a bit of searching but couldn't find a definitive answer to whether there is assisted software built in or not.

all the best
    It may be but truthfully at her age I'd rather not start over with new hardware. I'm just hoping that she can stick with the same OS without having to learn something new. Though she's very sharp for her age she never touched a computer until 85+ and electronics are still "magic" to her--which is sort of charming for those of us that rather take it for granted and want even more LOL.

I'm also not sure if the magnification would be enough--her software allows her to move her mouse like a magnifying glass across the screen--hard for me to deal with but she is used to it and will likely have to continue to increase magnification in the future.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Diane
    If it's not broke . . . I quite agree.

K
    Hi Kevin
    I was trying to find out more about this - and ended up on this page:
    Ipad Specs

Right at the bottom, with respect to the camera connector it says that it supports jpg and RAW files . . . whether that's what's showing on the video is a different matter.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

There is a zoom function on the settings menu under accessibility. I'm not sure if it zooms enough. The accessibility functions are generally for sight or hearing impaired so may be worth people looking into it.
    Looks like it zooms up to 2x or so. Combined with the standard pinch/zoom, could really make a big difference for people with vision problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting.... maybe I will have to look for my bacon flavoured hat

K

HI Diane
    If it's not broke . . . I quite agree.

Hi Kevin
    I was trying to find out more about this - and ended up on this page:
    Ipad Specs

Right at the bottom, with respect to the camera connector it says that it supports jpg and RAW files . . . whether that's what's showing on the video is a different matter.

all the best

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hadn't renewed my subscription to The Economist and it is a Zinio title. Not sure how content will ultimately work with consolidated apps like Zinio or alternatively magazines going direct to the App store.
    I just loaded it and all I get when I launch it is a black screen.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmmm....
    I got a home page with 7 current iPad optimized titles including the Water issue of National Geographic (important issue I want to read since water is one of our investment themes).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting.... maybe I will have to look for my bacon flavoured hat

K
    You won't find it - I stole it when we visited Paris - such an excellent idea for someone like me, who has to eat so many of the damned things!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I loaded up the Zinio app and it's working fine. Presentation on the iPad is excellent with the extra real estate. It picked up my subscription issues for March - May (the Mac client had me request request how many magazine issues/date range I wanted - all of them). I haven't found a way to access older content than March on the iPad client. The iPad client also came with a bunch of free teaser issues for other subscriptions such as Car & Driver, Dwell, Spin, Sporting News Today & Viv. Explore takes you to a bunch of other select content.

What I would like to know though is how I delete the junk freebies I'm not interested in. Supposedly there's an edit menu but I'll be darned if I can find it.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 6th April 2010 at 10:14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

An iPad app for Guy? When you spell a word right, it rewards you: http://laughingsquid.com/a-2-5-year-...he-first-time/