Site Sponsors
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: IPad Discussions

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: IPad Discussions

Not buying an iPad based on these two articles makes no more sense than buying one based on the various raves that have been linked above.

Henry Blodgett? Come on.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    An iPad app for Guy? When you spell a word right, it rewards you: http://laughingsquid.com/a-2-5-year-...he-first-time/
    I'm developing a special Ipad app called Finger Twister Word Mixer. Be out in May free to all GetDPI members.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Not buying an iPad based on these two articles makes no more sense than buying one based on the various raves that have been linked above.

Henry Blodgett? Come on.
    I read both of those and thought the same---Blodgett's just seemed whiny and, though I have read that wifi is a problem being reported by some on the Apple forums, there seem to be a lot more people that aren't having issues. Its like me with cell--no matter what carrier, we have spotty reception inside our house though I can almost see one tower. And then he has 'issues' with other charges. If we want newspapers or their online version, then someone is going to have to pay--journalists, web builders, on and on. I don't think the current 'free' model will continue to workl. I listened to a German publishing CEO tonight on Charlie Rose who bought an Ipad this weekend--very enthusiastic and sees it the beginning of an era where publishing will change--and, if I remember correctly, he sees a partly free, partly paid model.

The other 'reviewer' seemed to run into the same thing most everyone does when they buy some new electronic item---spending more than they expected (more memory, accessories, warranty, etc.). That's totally up to you--seems you can choose to suit yourself.

I'm not buying one right now but I'm expecting to buy later. Neither argument above affected that decision I've read a lot of rave reviews--and the ones that push me more in the direction of the Ipad are those that stress the way reading is changed.

Post Thanks / Like

In essence: The iPad changes the reading experience.

Next week I will be 3 days at NAB (huge video conference in Las Vegas) and I will only take the iPad. Remember my business is nearly all internet based so I need to be well connected. This will be a good test. I take my T2i + one lens and a mobile wifi router using my aircard.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

DougDolde

ARS Technica just posted a great detailed iPad review:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews...pad-review.ars

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    In essence: The iPad changes the reading experience.

Next week I will be 3 days at NAB (huge video conference in Las Vegas) and I will only take the iPad. Remember my business is nearly all internet based so I need to be well connected. This will be a good test. I take my T2i + one lens and a mobile wifi router using my aircard.
    Looking forward to hear how that all works for you -- I remain skeptical that the iPad can perform as an all-in-one solution for me...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"The iPad changes the reading experience?" I think if I believed that, I'd buy one, but I'm doubtful. It certainly would be better than a Kindle for magazines or books with color illustrations, but I question whether it would be the choice for reading a novel.

I opened the book app on an iPad at my local brightly lit Apple store, and found it problematic. It's interesting that many here have recommended that buyers not choose the glossy screen on a laptop for viewing photos, yet there's been little mention of the problem such a screen presents to readers. I found myself moving the iPad to minimize the reflections. And from what I've read, you wouldn't want to use it in direct sunlight in any case to avoid overheating. (http://nexgadget.com/2010/04/06/look...e-not-careful/)

Of course, I have to admit my reaction to the scary, "It overheats if you read in the sun on a hot beach" stories is that I wouldn't read in the sun on a hot beach. Find an umbrella or tree! But I'd still like to try one in places where I am likely to read before purchasing one.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Reading on the iPad vs. the Kindle a few observations.
    I like to read in bed. With the Kindle I really had to work hard at what lighting I would have in the bedroom and how to make it pleasing to read by without strain but not to make the room too bright. iPad eliminates that. Same issue on an airplane. Only way to read is to turn on the overhead light which again can be annoying.
    I bought a Photoshop/Lightroom book last year for the Kindle because I wanted to read some stuff, didn't want to carry a big tome and have an electronic index. I knew the illustrations would be problematic but that wasn't my primary concern. When I got the iPad I loaded the Kindle App and unarchived some books. Lo and behold this book now has all of the color examples and looks fantastic on the iPad. If you think about reference type books with color illustrations (like cooking) the iPad will be a much nicer viewing experience.

The annoying part of both is the time when you want to read (sitting on the runway or right after takeoff/before landing) both devices need to be turned off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I remain skeptical that the iPad can perform as an all-in-one solution for me...
    All in one, no way. This is when I go to a conference and shooting is just on the back burner. The moment I want to work on images I need my MacBook Pro.

>but I question whether it would be the choice for reading a novel.

I have no idea. I always mean technical books (that is my focus). But there is one nice aspect about the iPad. When I read a book the light is nearly always off towards my books. With the iPad I don't need a light. Also I can google terms all the time.

>"It overheats if you read in the sun on a hot beach" stories is that I wouldn't read in the sun on a hot beach.

By the way reading in bright light is not great with the iPad (especially because of the glossy screen).
    Last edited by ustein; 7th April 2010 at 06:33.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like reading on hot beaches!
    Actually, pretty much the only time I read is either:
    a) in bed with low lighting, where the electronic ink is poor
    b) on a beach, where the Kindle would, I guess, be better

My ipad says 'restore in progress' - can't wait to get my hands on it!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The best news in the iPad/Kindle debate is both companies got it right.

Apple - allowing Kindle reader on the iPad brings in new hardware buyers (that have Kindle with content) and gets past the weaker content of the iBook Store

Amazon - recognizing that they can be a content provider of choice across multiple devices (synched) and being content right now at being a content provider.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Actually, pretty much the only time I read is either:
    a) in bed with low lighting, where the electronic ink is poor
    b) on a beach, where the Kindle would, I guess, be better

My ipad says 'restore in progress' - can't wait to get my hands on it!
    Hmmm we need to talk bud, I like viewing on Hot beaches.

I could not resist sorry ladies
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of points about the first link: I had the same problem with Netflix, but it wasn't wifi, as the ABC streaming app has worked great every time I used it.

I tend to agree with his points about magazines/newspapers on the iPad.

The problem with reading on hot beaches (besides Guy's point ) is that *I'm* the one that overheats. Even on the pink sand beaches of Bermuda with a cool Atlantic breeze, it still gets a bit toasty, and the pages of the book become blown highlights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Hmmm we need to talk bud, I like viewing on Hot beaches.
    You need to wait at least for the 3D live iPad
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree Uwe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    I tend to agree with his points about magazines/newspapers on the iPad.
    Funny,
    I have exactly the opposite desire on content. It seems like he wants everything in an RRS type of feed and I want it to mimic the medium in some important ways. For instance, if I am going to buy a Vogue magazine or something similar on the newstand it isn't all about the editorial content. To me the advertising is an important part. I want to see what the designers etc are showing for the season. So an experience like Zinio where you replicate the experience is important to me.

I don't use RRS feeds right now because I like the visual aspect of layout and design which get lost.

It will be interesting to see how content develops.

As to Henry's I want one price for everyone and everything, I can see where he is coming from but I also thing AT&T's pricing and plan for the iPhone is incredibly fair and for those that mainly use Wifi and need sporadic 3G (when traveling) it will work out brilliantly to start and stop service. If you try and replace the 3G component with MiFi from Verizon or Sprint (MiFi or 4G if lucky) the cost is double $60/month and with a 5gb limit - (1.2 HD movies will use it all up - 4G has no limit but is very limited in availability).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

and i'm still waiting for somebody who reads in bathtubs... anybody?

i don't honestly believe that you can read legibly through that waterproof jacket (though i would love to be proved wrong).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Makes me wonder how much local conditions play into Apple's design decisions. While we in northern Europe like to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible when it's sunny, in Cupertino it's more the opposite - the sun is too strong to be enjoyed casually for extended periods. I'm sure this played into Apple's decision to make an indoors device.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Mango

Last week, Charlie Rose interviewed the NY Times (David Carr) and WSJ techie (Walter Mossberg) reviewers:

http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/10948

+ and - reviews:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a...-or-loathe-it/

It doesn't have a webcam, maybe 2.0 will have it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Makes me wonder how much local conditions play into Apple's design decisions. While we in northern Europe like to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible when it's sunny, in Cupertino it's more the opposite - the sun is too strong to be enjoyed casually for extended periods. I'm sure this played into Apple's decision to make an indoors device.
    Nah - surely not. I like reading in the sun, but there was no possible way that Apple could have incorporated an electronic ink screen in an ipad and still provide content for magazines / email etc. They used the best screen for the job (and I'm sure it'll be fine outdoors in the shade).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I was near BB this afternoon so dropped in to play. They had 4 or more tethered but with lots of apps (several pages), including Ibook and 4 or 5 books to try (I would have loved to read a newspaper with it, but no apps for any). I tried most everything to get a feel for it--loved reading with it, video, the few games I played (I'm not much of a gamer), other apps. I even came to getdpi on Safari--how nice to view (I sometimes read/post with Touch LOL). Good experience for me--and I'm sure I'll get one at some point. I spent 20 minutes to 1/2 hour with it so it wasn't just a quick pick up. The only thing I noticed was that it seemed to be getting heavy at the end, but then I won't be reading standing at a table, will I LOLOL.

Thumbs up--but I'll still wait a bit--maybe even until gen2. They told me that they only had 64GB left but had a lot of people waiting for 3G version.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    If you try and replace the 3G component with MiFi from Verizon or Sprint (MiFi or 4G if lucky) the cost is double $60/month and with a 5gb limit - (1.2 HD movies will use it all up - 4G has no limit but is very limited in availability).
    If you buy a Palm phone, Verizon is giving away the $60/month 3G-to-WiFi charge.

http://bit.ly/b6kRFT

DougDolde

Called two Apple store today one in Chandler and one in Gilbert, Arizona. They both have all three models in stock. It's killing me but I am holding out for the 3G model.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay. Five hours in. Thanks to the wonderful Terry, my 16gb iPad arrived this afternoon. Usual time taken setting up email accounts etc. Also a little disappointment that the app store isn't available yet on the ipad in the UK (but no surprise).

On the other hand there are plenty of iPad apps available on UK iTunes, missing are BBC, iBooks and iWork, but I guess they won't be long. No gotchas setting it up in the UK though, and no need for an American iTunes account. So, for anyone else in the UK considering the purchase, you may miss some applications until the official launch, but it all registers and works properly without hassle.

Having read all the eulogies I was prepared for how good the experience is, and I wasn't disappointed. First off I watched Shadows and Light (an all time favourite). No need for headphones, at close quarters the sound will do, even for Joni Mitchell and Pat Metheny.

Obviously, after such a short time I'm not in a position to offer any kind of judgement, but I would like to say one thing that I haven't seen written elsewhere and which really surprised me

It's a ball to type on

Once upon a time I could touch type at over 80 words a minute. Sadly those days are long since gone, but I do still touch type, although it was initially very weird typing without the feel of the keys, it's been very quick to get used to and I'm quite certain that with a few days practice the on screen keyboard will be as fast as a physical keyboard (possibly even faster). This has all been touch typed with the iPad on my lap in landscape mode with very few corrections and no irritation.

My long time buddy Neil defined "Good Technology" as "it's not irritating".

all the best and more thanks to Terry (at the risk of irritating her!)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

>will be as fast as a physical keyboard (possibly even faster).

How that with switching to numerical?
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Called two Apple store today one in Chandler and one in Gilbert, Arizona. They both have all three models in stock. It's killing me but I am holding out for the 3G model.
    I would too. But first was sure not to want the 3G model, not anymore. The iPad is kind of complete with the 3G.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

It's a ball to type on

Once upon a time I could touch type at over 80 words a minute. Sadly those days are long since gone, but I do still touch type, although it was initially very weird typing without the feel of the keys, it's been very quick to get used to and I'm quite certain that with a few days practice the on screen keyboard will be as fast as a physical keyboard (possibly even faster). This has all been touch typed with the iPad on my lap in landscape mode with very few corrections and no irritation.

My long time buddy Neil defined "Good Technology" as "it's not irritating".

all the best and more thanks to Terry (at the risk of irritating her!)
    I really wanted to try typing but couldn't work it out--at least for touch typing (which I also do). The table was not a good height to type standing and it would have been a bit offputting to see me crouching in a very peculiar position to be at right height. I'll take your word. I read elsewhere that someone predicts that some younger folks will likely grow up typing on a 'glass' screen and not think much about it. The keys seemed in the right position and size (esp. in landscape) for me.

Not sure about the punctuation/symbols for everything, but I've learned to let the Touch add the ' and . (suggestions for things like 'can't', seems to insert a period correctly and start correctly for capitalized (though I haven't worked out how to keep the capitalization for multiple letters like LOL unless I click on it each time). Numbers would seem to slow one down with the switch.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Double tap the shift key for shift lock.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Might have to go to settings/general/keyboard/enable caps lock = ON

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks both. I had mine set to off. LOL (got it)

Post Thanks / Like

Having briefly borrowed an iPad, I found that the heft wasn't great for reading in bed. I'd prefer the much lighter Kindle as an ebook reader. As a web browser for the couch, the iPad is fantastic.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

May go try it today in between doc visits with my wife. It maybe a good tool for her and traveling. She is looking at a 11 day trip so was going to bring her MacBook air.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

>will be as fast as a physical keyboard (possibly even faster).

How that with switching to numerical?
    HI Uwe
    I'm afraid that innumerate, so I don't use numbers

Seriously, it will slow one down a bit, but I just felt that finding it non-irritating after a few hours suggested that with some real practice it would be just fine - quite a different experience from doing email on an iphone. I must say, although I guess I wouldn't use it for doing big spreadsheets if there was a keyboard around, for writing I think it's rather delightful. My desire to get the plug in keyboard has gone from vital to zero.

Today I've been in meetings for the last 7 hours - with it on the table in front of me at a slight angle. Again, typing was a breeze, as was checking email etc. Also - it was much less 'in your face' than using a laptop (which I would normally do).

Guy - I do hope the doc visits go well. In comparison with an Air, the battery life is superhuman (mine has been collecting emails - 7 hours in a meeting today, loads of messing about yesterday, passing around the meeting today for ooh's and aah's), and it's not been charging other than when plugged into the computer installing apps yesterday afternoon. So, basically, that's 24 hours of intermittent use and there's still 36% left.

WiFi has been completely fine, (and our house can be tricky).

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, the Apple case that tilts it a little bit for easy landscape typing and viewing is quite useful. I can send a "sample trial" one your way. Have a look at the accessory page on the Apple site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono down to treatment plans but all is very positive, thanks.
    That is the one thing about the Ipad that is really nice to hear is battery life on it. Not sure she could even watch a movie from here to NY on the MB Air.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Jono, the Apple case that tilts it a little bit for easy landscape typing and viewing is quite useful. I can send a "sample trial" one your way. Have a look at the accessory page on the Apple site.
    Hi Terry
    Thank you for the offer . . . but at the moment I think I'm fine, mostly I'd type on my lap, in a meeting I just propped it on a pad - my iphone has never been in a case either. I'd like to see what becomes available later. What I really want is the camera connector.

As for DNG files - I've tried emailing them, and I've also tried using air sharing, I can copy them to the ipad without trouble, but it doesn't recognise them as it stands (maybe they've limited it to the camera connector so you have to buy one?).

Guy - I'm glad to hear it's positive - definitely thinking of you.

One of the reviewers said that he was running videos in the foreground and collecting email in the background and the batteries lasted 12 and a half hours . . . My current feeling is that if you stick it on charge every night then you're never likely to run out (at least, not without going completely goggleyed).

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guardian Eye Witness is a great news photo App for the ipad. But the pro-tips!!!
    you really do need to get it and have a look

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Vur first presentation from the iPad

http://www.hurl.ws/dnbs
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

>Guardian Eye Witness

Interesting resource.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Iphone OS 4.0: lookin' good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Smart of Apple to hold the 3G version back a few weeks. I know a lot of people who would have bought the 3G iPad on day 1. Most of them bought the Wifi version and will still buy the 3G version as soon as it is shipping. Why sell someone one iPad when you can sell them two?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Smart of Apple to hold the 3G version back a few weeks. I know a lot of people who would have bought the 3G iPad on day 1. Most of them bought the Wifi version and will still buy the 3G version as soon as it is shipping. Why sell someone one iPad when you can sell them two?
    Upgrading after not more than a month :-)
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Upgrading after not more than a month :-)
    My upgrade was planned. I pretty much knew that was my plan as soon as they announced timing. I ordered both the Wifi and 3G at the same time. If figured if I could get by with the wifi I would cancel the 3G order. I have no unlocked wifi to mooch off of at my office and I like the Pad enough that I would like to throw it in my bag and take it to the office each day. Now the question is do I switch my 3G order from 32GBB to 64GB.

My wifi model will either go to my mother (I think it is the perfect device for her) or it will be sold.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Same here, my 32 wifi will go to my daughter when the 3G/GPS comes out.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't followed this discussion very closely.

I had occasion to be at the Apple Store yesterday and had my first chance to see and use the iPad a bit while I was there. I found its display very nice, tested my websites and photos on it and found it did an excellent job of displaying them, read through a book a little bit, etc. Overall, a very good device, an excellent user experience. I could use one for showing photos to clients, doing research when not at my desk, reading a book, etc, and be happy with it.

Compared to the Sony electronic book devices that sell for $200-300, the iPad is several lightyears more competent and much more versatile. I have no particular need of cellular for constant net access (jeez, I'm happy to get away from the net now and then!), I don't need another camera, or standalone storage device, etc, so the $500 model would be fine. Although it might be sensible to buy the 3G model, since you don't need to buy a contract with it, and enable the wireless only when it's valuable to do so. Etc.

I'm sure I'll have one sometime later this year. It's not an immediate priority, but it's a useful device that I would get my money's worth out of. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm tring my best to justify this thing...I want one, so there for I shall have one but how can I get my photo-hobby to work with it? I have a Iphone and a MBP and at work I'm forced to use a PC. I wish you could use external hard drives and install lightroom on it ...or something.. I don't want the 3G because I don't want to spend another $30 month.....digital cable and cable boxes, iphone, family cell phone package, xm radio, ect...where does it end..oh and I don't read books, just look at the pictures....
    Last edited by mwalker; 8th April 2010 at 12:07.
    Mike

website under construction