Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: IPad Discussions

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: IPad Discussions

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    ... how can I get my photo-hobby to work with it?
    ...I wish you could use external hard drives and install lightroom on it ...or something.. I don't want the 3G because I don't want to spend another $30 month...
    I see no reason for external hard drives or processing work on the iPad. It's a very portable content displayer/viewer and communications device with limited abilities to do content generation; it's not a workstation.

The workflow I envision is to do my image processing and story development on my desktop or laptop system, generate the output in the appropriate form for the iPad, and then move it there for display, distribute it to the web for others to download and enjoy.

That's how it integrates with my personal and professional photographic world.

The cellular data service is a no-contract, month-to-month term service. Enable it and pay for it when you need it, cancel it when you don't. You're not locked into a $30 a month payment unless you want to be. I think it's probably worth the extra $130 to buy it if you think you might ever need it, but you don't even have to turn it on, ever, if you don't want to.

Post Thanks / Like

What can I use to make emergency repairs to my web site : outbackphoto.com on the road using the iPad? It has to be very reliable.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Damn bought one. My wife saw the Ibook library on the demo and said buy it. Had no choice, only issue was it is a 64gb one
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, it was inevitable, wasn't it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really did not want one except for showing my images to clients is where i saw the power. Since this is 64 gb than I am going to load it up big time. But she hits the road for 11 days and this poor girl actually travels with hard bound books. She 's nuts so this will be much better for her plus she wanted to rent some movies and whatever. For me i could not be without the 3g but that is me.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"She's nuts..."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    What can I use to make emergency repairs to my web site : outbackphoto.com on the road using the iPad? It has to be very reliable.
    I've made blog posts from my iPod Touch while away from my desk, but I wouldn't depend on an iPod Touch (or an iPad by extension) for workstation functions like editing a website. Different need, different device.

What seems obvious to me is that the iPad, like the iPod Touch, is designed for a different range of uses than a laptop/desktop computer system. Buy the device with the right functionality for the uses you have in mind.

Think of it another way: while you can connect a computer to most modern, higher end televisions, a television set display is not really well-suited to doing your image processing adjustment work on. It's fine for looking at a movie or a slideshow on despite that. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    "She's nuts..."
    Had to blame someone

Okay it is pretty dang cool. The kids are NOT happy mom got one and they did not. LOL

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I've made blog posts from my iPod Touch while away from my desk, but I wouldn't depend on an iPod Touch (or an iPad by extension) for workstation functions like editing a website. Different need, different device.

What seems obvious to me is that the iPad, like the iPod Touch, is designed for a different range of uses than a laptop/desktop computer system. Buy the device with the right functionality for the uses you have in mind.

Think of it another way: while you can connect a computer to most modern, higher end televisions, a television set display is not really well-suited to doing your image processing adjustment work on. It's fine for looking at a movie or a slideshow on despite that. :-)
    Godfrey,

you know what is going on. You buy the iPad with some expectations and they are kind of all met. Now you want more .

There are FPT clients but they seem not to be good.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    My wifi model will either go to my mother (I think it is the perfect device for her) or it will be sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Same here, my 32 wifi will go to my daughter when the 3G/GPS comes out.
    That's exactly what I meant. My brother and lots of people I know are doing the same. Lots of relatives will be getting wifi iPads in a few weeks, many of whom surely wouldn't be getting them if the 3g version had been released concurrently. Well done, Apple .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    Will it blend!

Hi Jim . . . . but there is talk of corruption here - suggestions that the back was taken off first (will I be sued for saying this?)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

HI Godfrey - Uwe
    While I agree to some extent (completely about the intent and philosophy), I would have thought that Uwe could find a way of updating his website on the fly - one possibility would be a logmein connection to his base computer (the logmein app on the ipad is pretty fab).

Which brings me to another point, which is that whereas logmein / RDP / VNC and Citrix connections were all perfectly possible with the iphone / touch, actually doing anything was rather a chore (i.e. read impossible). However, the iPAD is quite a different kettle of fish - I can see that it will be very powerful for connection to client sites at a time when it might not be convenient to have a laptop around.

In addition, a quick hunt for html on the iTunes store finds quite a few html editor applications for the ipad:
    Web Page Developer looks pretty good (even previews page).
    eWebEditor also looks quite good (but I haven't looked properly).
    Any way you can look for yourself

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW last night i figured out your Iphone power cord charges the Ipad and vise versa. Nice to know when traveling. Have to admit it is nice to have around the couch and floating in the house even though we have 4 laptops in the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Having 3G a month at a time is a good point and important to me because we don't have 3G where I live only edge (AT&T has said will get it next year but they have been saying that for 3 years). I travel a lot so that is a good option. Using the ipad for a portable client viewing device is also a strong point, a laptop is kind of a hassel for that...
    Has anyone used the camera connectors yet? Will that let jpegs be instantley down loaded from the camera? If so it could be a used as a field viewing device, shoot a jpeg, view, and then switch to RAW for final capture. I think I'll pre order 3G one what the heck.....
    Mike

website under construction

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

camera connectors haven't be released yet but they should work as described. Either use an SD or connect camera direct through USB. Not sure exactly how the software will function and if there will be some "light" jpeg edit capability or if you will need to use a third party App.

The extra power cord was listed as shipping end of April and shipped yesterday. Camera connection kit also listed for end of April but no movement on that purchase (or for that matter my 3G )

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just order the 64 3G..............

Terry, thank you for all of your suto equipment reviews, and all you guys. Your posts are always informative and a real asset to this forum.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The iPhone power cord will charge the iPad, but more slowly than the 10W iPad charger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Godfrey - Uwe
    While I agree to some extent (completely about the intent and philosophy), I would have thought that Uwe could find a way of updating his website on the fly - one possibility would be a logmein connection to his base computer (the logmein app on the ipad is pretty fab).

Which brings me to another point, which is that whereas logmein / RDP / VNC and Citrix connections were all perfectly possible with the iphone / touch, actually doing anything was rather a chore (i.e. read impossible). However, the iPAD is quite a different kettle of fish - I can see that it will be very powerful for connection to client sites at a time when it might not be convenient to have a laptop around.

In addition, a quick hunt for html on the iTunes store finds quite a few html editor applications for the ipad:
    Web Page Developer looks pretty good (even previews page).
    eWebEditor also looks quite good (but I haven't looked properly).
    Any way you can look for yourself
    Thanks great help. Looks like the customer review indicate that they are not quite ready yet (at least for Macs).
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    The iPhone power cord will charge the iPad, but more slowly than the 10W iPad charger.
    Probably so Brad. I had her take the Ipad charger with her and than she can do the Iphone as well. Nice though only one charger with two devices. Looks like i won't see the Ipad for almost two weeks but be interesting to see how my wife does as a normal business person without photo needs does on the road with it. I did buy her Pages and Keynote so she can work and see word docs from her office. They do need to find a way to print to a printer on a wifi system at different locations for people. Not sure they do yet but I do see that as a need

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Probably so Brad. I had her take the Ipad charger with her and than she can do the Iphone as well. Nice though only one charger with two devices. Looks like i won't see the Ipad for almost two weeks but be interesting to see how my wife does as a normal business person without photo needs does on the road with it. I did buy her Pages and Keynote so she can work and see word docs from her office. They do need to find a way to print to a printer on a wifi system at different locations for people. Not sure they do yet but I do see that as a need
    General rules of thumb
    iPad charger charges fastest (10W)
    iPhone charger will be slow but better with iPad turned off (5W)
    newer USB port will charge very slowly but better with iPad off (4.5?W)
    old USB port generally won't charge
    reported that iPad sucks about 2.5W running

There are apps for printing but there should be something either over wifi or bluetooth that is native.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Struggling to find all the pieces....

This seems to be the best print application at the present....

http://mobile.eurosmartz.com/products/printcentral.html

Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Best Photo Editing App ???

So far the best photo editing App I've found for the iPad is Photogene. Anyone have other suggestions?

I honestly think this App does everything I would need on the road to email out a shot uploaded from an SD card.

straighten/crop (with preset aspect ratios if desired)
    exposure, highlight, shadow, saturation, color temp and RGB sliders
    Levels, curves
    Borders
    lots of special effect presets including B&W (you can get B&W by desaturating)

Not sure why I never used the iPhone version but just added it as well. Just played with the iPhone version. iPad App is much more sophisticated.

I am having one problem with the App that I'm not sure is iPad or App related. I emailed a shot to myself. It shows up fine on my MBP email but shows just as a blue box with ? on my iPad email. I've sent a note to the developers and posted on the Apple discussions forum. Will post as I find out more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is there an application that will let you read and maybe edit pc word processing & spread sheets? I guess a ipad parallax.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    Is there an application that will let you read and maybe edit pc word processing & spread sheets? I guess a ipad parallax.
    iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) will read and write MS Office format documents, spreadsheets and presentations. I haven't tried them on the iPad but they're only $10 each so they might be worth trying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bought them for my wife's Ipad not sure it works but gives me a idea to send something to her and see if it does

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is a guided tour video for each of the iWork Apps.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/

Keynote looks like it can be really good for a photo slide show that you can email. Keynote has great transitions. Even if you aren't planning to get an iPad these videos are worth watching as I think what you can do with the iWork Apps using multitouch is pretty amazing.
    Last edited by Terry; 10th April 2010 at 08:38.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use Keynote on the big shows i do in New York and LA every year. Some come from Powerpoint that i convert to Keynote than add the much better transitions from Keynote. I also use keynote separately for some other parts of the show. Plus I use Iphoto when i do thousands of images at once. Here is where I see the power of the Ipad. Usually I do all the work in the computer room on my MBP than go upstairs to the booth and run the shows. I could actually load the ipad and use that in the booth to actually run the show. Better yet on some parts of the show when I am not involved with presenting it on screen i can send someone else to the booth and run the Ipad without using my computer or a rented one. Now the question is on 20ft screens how is this going to work. I have 2 20ft screens and about 12 LCD floating screens in the ballroom all being synced to my laptop. can a Ipad take on the big boys . LOL

The other cool part is you can work on the show as you travel and move it to the big computers. So in essence this could be a very powerful tool in the real world besides showing off some product in a marketing meeting. The other cool part is Ican use the Ipad for Guy Mancuso Portfolio presentations and this to me is the power. Several things I can do is show my book to shooting clients. Show my images for sale to galleries and such for the printed piece. Carry maybe 10 samples of prints and the rest of your images on the Ipad to take orders. Part three go to clients to sell prints for wall art.

Yea my head has been spinning lately since a Epson 7900 printer comes next week. Frankly it is time to start selling my art via printing. The ipad as I see it for me could very well be a great marketing tool via keynote and presentation stuff like this. In the end maybe I am glad I got the 64gb version for my wife. I can use it when she is not traveling which is a lot but that is coming to a end per say at least for awhile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I should have added here there are some unique features on the Ipad version that would be awesome on the computer version. Multiple moves for one and rework the images in a slide with smart move I think they called it.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a guided tour video for each of the iWork Apps.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/

Keynote looks like it can be really good for a photo slide show that you can email. Keynote has great transitions. Even if you aren't planning to get an iPad these videos are worth watching as I think what you can do with the iWork Apps using multitouch is pretty amazing.
    Thanks for these. I passed them on to a friend that got an Ipad last weekend. Since I feel sure I will get an Ipad, I found them helpful--giving me a good idea of what I will be able to do and what will be harder to accomplish. And--by the time I get one, I will have all the pieces put together thanks to all of you I'm waiting for the camera connection, etc. to come out and see how you like it---and then decide how long to wait

Post Thanks / Like

For emergency web site operations I can now use FTPOnTheGo.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First aiport test. Did not take iPad out of bag at security and it went through just fine. Yeah! One flying hassle eliminated!

I did fly with it last week but at that time I just assumed that it was counted as a laptop and put it in it's own bin. Earlier in the week I read that the TSA was instructing screeners that iPads could stay in bags.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My brother flew this week at PHL (Philadelphia) and the screener insisted that he remove the ipad from the bag. My silly brother then told him what the TSA regulations say and they hassled him and delayed him.

Good old TSA - Security Theater each and every day.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha, miss you guys, always good stuff here..

The iPad will definitely do lots of good to my new work flow with the Red Epic cameras as a wireless and client Monitor via WiFi and a special Proxy module.

Photography will never be the same, again, he he, iPad, yet an other amazing tool to our arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    since someone said IPAD... here is a good size reference:

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    RED is increasing the workflow flexibility on Epic and Scarlet with Proxy Modules… the first of which is an H.264 Module.

This module encodes a 1080P stream (high quality scale from full frame) and records to Compact Flash in a rear module. The module also offers secure password protected streaming over dedicated WiFi and ethernet to iPhones, iPads, laptops as well as broadcast to the internet.

This will be beneficial for on set viewing, instant dailies, offline editing, easy file transfer to remote locations, dailies review and collaboration services with such companies as Pix, or live broadcasting for realtime media distribution.

The modules will also support full metadata and XML for editorial.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSI View Post
    Ha ha, miss you guys, always good stuff here..

The iPad will definitely do lots of good to my new work flow with the Red Epic cameras as a wireless and client Monitor via WiFi and a special Proxy module.

Photography will never be the same, again, he he, iPad, yet an other amazing tool to our arsenal.
    Want this for HDSLRs badly: HDMI to Wifi.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Installed Line 2 (VOIP App) and called Guy on the phone. Bingo I now have an iPadphone. Wooohoooo.

I'm still on the free trial period for the product. Anyone used a different app?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

show us a pic holding pad-to-ear, he, he

will i be able to access my already purchased amazon kindle books directly onto the pad via the kondle app?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    show us a pic holding pad-to-ear, he, he

will i be able to access my already purchased amazon kindle books directly onto the pad via the kondle app?
    Good news it has speakerphone/headphone capability.

Kindle on iPad better than Kindle on Kindle. I have a Photoshop book that miraculously now has color illustrations. A whole lot easier than carrying a multi hundred page reference book.

Post Thanks / Like

>Installed Line 2 (VOIP App) and called Guy on the phone.

What would be the advantage over Skype?
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >Installed Line 2 (VOIP App) and called Guy on the phone.

What would be the advantage over Skype?
    Don't know that there is much of an advantage/disadvantage I'm using the free trial. I don't have Skype right now to compare the two services.

Post Thanks / Like

Skype with the new OS 4. will allow to remain in open in the BG in Multi Tasking, so that it operates just as it does on your computer, this will work the same on both iPhone and iPad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Installed Line 2 (VOIP App) and called Guy on the phone. Bingo I now have an iPadphone. Wooohoooo.

I'm still on the free trial period for the product. Anyone used a different app?
    It was actually pretty good reception, she sounded better using the speaker on the Ipad than the headset which had some echo. Very cool

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use acrobits softphone and it works well with both commercial VoIP SIP providers (sipgate/callcentric/gizmo5 etc) and also as a phone off my own internal home & development SIP servers. (my day job is designing contact center solutions for fortune 100 companies - if you've called most of the banks and airlines for self or assisted service then you're probably hitting our software).

I'm waiting for someone like Counterpath, Aastra or Polycomm to produce something ...

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw, iPad with VoIP makes a pretty decent hands free phone. I haven't tried it with a handsfree Bluetooth yet but it should work. iPad looks pretty stupid as a handset though

Post Thanks / Like

I am seriously considering ipad if I can edit raw/jpg on it. Any good photo editors available for ipad?

Wish Apple had released ipad version of aperture

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sagar - doubt if you will see RAW editing on the iPad in the near future - it just doesn't have the processing power or the memory or indeed the storage - its a single core 1GHz processor running off batteries with maybe 512M of RAM. I find editing RAW on a Macbook Air (1.6 ghz twin core processor with 2G of RAM) pretty frustrating and marginal.

I am sure there will be apps for the iPad that will do jpeg editing at a iphoto sort of level.... eg global changes to a picture quickly.

the iPad is not a laptop - its not even really a personal computer as such - its a device primarily for consuming digital media not creating it.

K

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I posted above that the app Photogene does iPhoto like editing. I need to do more work with it to see how good it is, I thing it is easy to overcook the files but I wasn't using full jpegs just reduced size ones in my photo library synched with iPad. So, I need to download some full sized file and play around. Considering the price, it is already a bargain.

DougDolde

Line2 will also work on an iPhone as a second line. That way you can talk without using cell minutes if you are in a WiFi area. In fact you can install it on both the iPad and iPhone with the same phone number.

One feature of Line2 I really like is if someone leaves a voicemail (likely if your Line2 app isn't running), it sends you an email with an mp3 of the message attached.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use Skype IM and talk a lot professionally as well as socially, and I like the level of transparency and integration that brings to a mobile device. N900 rather than iPad, but conceptually there are little differences, and the same level of integration is to be expected from Skype on iPhone OS if it isn't already there. As an added bonus Skype is well encrypted (AES and 256-bit with 1536 to 2048 key size) so the likelihood of someone listening in is remote (some countries have actually tried to ban Skype for national security reasons).
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Line2 will also work on an iPhone as a second line. That way you can talk without using cell minutes if you are in a WiFi area. In fact you can install it on both the iPad and iPhone with the same phone number.

One feature of Line2 I really like is if someone leaves a voicemail (likely if your Line2 app isn't running), it sends you an email with an mp3 of the message attached.
    Ok, I have no iPhone. I use Skype on my Mac for years and like it. Seems to work fine on the iPad (outgoing).
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------