The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

jonoslack

Hi There
Only 4 hours to the announcement.
I'm not sure what it'll have for us photographers, but there are a few rumours with respect to aperture 3, and the aperture 2 tutorials on the apple website seem to be 'down'.

Anyway, I thought that we could have a thread where we could all rubbish/eulogise apple over the new announcement (perhaps Guy or Jack could rename it to ipad or islate or whatever the damn thing is called (when we know).

As a starter, here is an article in wired that I found very interesting.

Wired Apple Tablet Article

I'm excited!

all the best

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: Apple Tablet Thread

Glad you started this . Hear are my predictions for the day. I have absolutely no inside info either.

Ipad obviously and runs all Iphone apps. with Verizon as carrier.
I have a feeling a new MBP with Arrandale though no quads
New I Life
New I work
New I phone 4.0 and also release of Iphone to verizon
OS 10.6.3 update as well
I also think maybe a 6 core MP base model

Guy Mancuso

Re: Apple Tablet Thread and Predictions for the Day

Jono i added to your title . Let's have some fun folks. Always fun to wish upon a Apple.

Guy Mancuso

Now if there is a quad core MBP mine is up for sale.:D

jonoslack

Well, although I've seen all the blah as well, I suspect that any new software announced will only relate to the tablet, and that new hardware (apart from the tablet) will also wait . . . the apple store is thoroughly UP at the moment.

So, I predict
Tablet
Lots and lots of content stuff - books, magazines, newspapers
New versions of itunes store to sell all this stuff
New version of iwork and ilife - which will also work on the tablet

Then I'm going to stick my neck out for Aperture 3, with a tablet extension allowing you to add and view files on the road. (this is wishware more than anything else)

Nothing else.
However, like the Wired article I linked to, I think that this presentation is going to be more about content than about kit - and if I were in Amazon's shoes I'd be very worried about the Kindle!

all the best

Me thinks they might sneak in an update to the Macpro line.

Hopefully they might address the yellow/green blob issue in the new iMac.

I couldn't even fathom how much a quad core MBP would run. North of $3k easilly. But then again, 15" quad core MBP w/ 500G SDD w/ NEC 2690 and Drobo. DONE! :-D well... and more broker too!

D

Devon Shaw

It's the iPad...

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Here is another link which seems to be updating pretty fast:
http://live.gdgt.com/2010/01/27/live-apple-come-see-our-latest-creation-tablet-event-coverage/

LJL

The specs look a bit light for the processing, so do not get hopes up. However, this could be a fantastic little viewer screen at a shoot, or in the field for live view work for some. Still have to see how things connect, but it has ports, can do USB2.1 +, and other things, so it looks like it could run some of the apps for remote camera things that may already be available in the App Store, or though vendors. This has some potential.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

This is what I am hoping is to shoot tethered to it somehow

LJL

Maybe only smaller JPEGs, as the memory capacity is 16-64GB of flash. The 9.7" multi-touch screen and accelerometer looks interesting. The 1GHz Apple A4 chip to run it is something new, so no idea how much it can handle. The 10 hr. battery life sound impressive also. Somebody may have to write an app (Phase?) to work out the tethering part, I think. Same for Hasselblad, but it should be doable. The SDK is available from Apple today, so if there are developers wanting to give it a crack, have at it.

LJ

D

Devon Shaw

$29.99 a month for unlimited 3G data... sounds so amazing... if only it wasn't AT&T...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Starting at $499, there will be some mighty long waiting lists...