The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

stephengilbert

Stephen Fry is somewhat known in the states: PBS broadcast "Jeeves and Wooster" (co-starring Hugh Laurie) years ago (it's still on YouTube), but I don't think many here are aware of his other personae. I just finished his book on his travels to the fifty states (in a London taxi). Too bad we can't see all his BBC work. (At least I can't; in may be on some cable channel I don't get.)

Steve

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Hi Tom
It rather depends - I travel a lot, and I need screen real estate and power - so it's a 17"mbp, the smaller macbooks don't do the business. This means that if I'm on a plane, in a bar, restaurant or whatever, the MBP is too big, and an ipad will be great for those other jobs one has to do (read email / books / web / etc.), and for which the iphone is a bit small.
Exactly! I got my laptop because it is the absolute fastest portable computer on the market (or was until Dell upped the CPU from a QX9300 to an i7 920). But, it is unwieldy when traveling or out and about and the battery life is terrible. My Blackberry Storm, while keeping me connected and organized is too small to watch movies, read books, or browse the web for any amount of time. The iPad will make a perfect companion for me and my personal entertainment needs.

I've looked at the MB Air, 13" MBP, Dell Adamo, and Vostro V13. Seperate power adapter, at least 3.5-5 lbs. None of these have the horsepower or expandability that would allow me to replace my main travel workstation (not to mention the 17" 1920x1200 screen real estate that I won't give up). Ultimately, the iPad takes up the space of a magazine and weighs the same as an extra battery for my big laptop. I leave the extra battery behind, slide in the iPad, and I am good to go! :thumbs:

I could care less about doing much power-user stuff on this thing. I just want to watch movies, Tivo recordings, read books, have easy access to full HTML email, and comfortable casual web browsing. For work, I could use it to carry around commonly used PDFs, Excel sheets, Word Docs, and Powerpoint presentations for easy reference. Not sure I'd be doing much content creation.

David

Terry

David,
Interesting for you that it is personal entertainment. I will use it the same way as you BUT would be ecstatic if my office would entertain the idea. Most of what I need to access remotely are attachments that are miserable on the blackberry. That is the only reason I have a work laptop at home and on the road. Looks like Apple feels there are a lot of users like me.....

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...iness_users_through_new_features_sources.html

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I agree folks not everyday do you really need the horsepower. Be interesting to figure out in a 12 hour day what percentage we use the computing power versus the Ipad type of usage. Actually the last 3 hours being up I have not used the computer part but the Ipad part.

jonoslack

I could care less about doing much power-user stuff on this thing. I just want to watch movies, Tivo recordings, read books, have easy access to full HTML email, and comfortable casual web browsing. For work, I could use it to carry around commonly used PDFs, Excel sheets, Word Docs, and Powerpoint presentations for easy reference. Not sure I'd be doing much content creation.

David
Quite right - but also .
We were just discussing it's use in meetings - where having a laptop on the desk is a bit odd - having this flat on the table for making quick notes, bullet points etc. with an application like Omni-focus :clap::clap:

Terry

Guy -
The only non iPad things I use a computer for are:

1. Photo editing - the biggie
2. Scanning my document files
3. As a gateway to mass storage of images/music/docs.
4. Upgrading firmware
5. Synching iPhone

Theoretically some of the 5 could be done differently in the future. For instance is there a reason why we wouldn't be able to download camera firmware to the iPad and copy it to an SD card? Is there a reason that in the future we wouldn't be able to store our itunes at Apple - already rumored.

simonclivehughes

Stephen Fry is somewhat known in the states: PBS broadcast "Jeeves and Wooster" (co-starring Hugh Laurie) years ago (it's still on YouTube), but I don't think many here are aware of his other personae. I just finished his book on his travels to the fifty states (in a London taxi). Too bad we can't see all his BBC work. (At least I can't; in may be on some cable channel I don't get.)

Steve
Don't forget his wonderful turn as "ze Rat Man" in the Walter Matthau/Tim Robbins/Meg Ryan comedy "IQ".

Cheers,

jonoslack

David,
Interesting for you that it is personal entertainment. I will use it the same way as you BUT would be ecstatic if my office would entertain the idea. Most of what I need to access remotely are attachments that are miserable on the blackberry. That is the only reason I have a work laptop at home and on the road. Looks like Apple feels there are a lot of users like me.....

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...iness_users_through_new_features_sources.html
Excellent article Terry - the thing seems to be more and more compelling the more one thinks about it.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Now I'm wondering if the iPad will support tabbed web browsing.....

Just did a quick tally of the open tabs on my laptop right now:

Firefox: 57
IE: 3
Chrome: 32

Total: 92 currently open tabs.... yes, I am a glutton. :D

Then, I thought about multitasking. In addition to the three browsers I also have open: 7 PDF docs, 2 notepad notes, 6 calcs, Lightroom 2.6 with my main catalog, 1 Word Doc, and 8 Excel Sheets - still missing the partridge in the pear tree, I guess. Even with all that, I still have 4.5 GB of free RAM and my CPU is running at 10% or less. Win 7 is actually pretty efficient.

Even on my BB, I'm a multitasking slave driver. While on a long road trip, I've had Pandora streaming, while using 2 different GPS nav tools, sending quick texts, and seeing emails that are coming in, all without shutting down any one of those. Or, when I am traveling, I'll be using the BB to tether to my laptop while still using it to check email, contacts, etc.

So, will I ultimately feel limited by having one thing open at a time? :confused:

Or, can I accept Steve Jobs as my savior and change my heathen ways??? :ROTFL:

David

O

Oxide Blu

This is too funny -- just reading on Forbes that computer industry analysts are projecting Microsoft's Windows 7 will be one of the first and most popular apps for Apple's new iPad.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
David, and some others might want to read through this recent study by folks at Stanford on just how "not good" all the multi-tasking is:

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2009/august24/multitask-research-study-082409.html

LJ
Interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

I mainly keep everything open for two reasons:

1) I like to have commonly used information readily accessible
2) Because I can

I actually like to focus on one thing at a time. When CNN (and every other news channel) added the ticker at the bottom of the screen, it drove me crazy.... it still does. A lot of MySpace web pages strike me as visual noise with no point of focus. So, upon reflection, I guess I am the anti-multitasking multitasker.

Really, for me, I read a lot and attempt to process as much info as I can on topics/products that I am researching. Whether cars, computers, cameras, real estate or energy policy, I create different tabs for each relevant page I run across (middle mouse click on a link). I then read each one in-depth before moving on to the next. Or, I might compare the specs found on one page with those from another. Then, after an hour or so, I might switch gears to something else, like reading the forums, going through emails, working on a blog post, or editing photos. But not all at once.

So, if I could just have tabs on the iPad Safari browser to park my research, I'd be happy. :angel:

David

O

Oxide Blu

Here's a short but good read about the iPad from someone that actually knows technology -- not so much speculation or unrealistic exceptions of future apps. I think he nails it.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13526_3-10444796-27.html

"But the iPad isn't a notebook replacement, and I don't think users will carry it with them on business trips. ... this is a consumer electronics device for puttering around the house and leisure time--reading books and Web sites on the couch, showing pictures off to friends, catching up on the latest Web videos. And, yes, listening to music."

A couple more good reads on the iPad from Cnet:

http://www.businessinsider.com/henr...g-future-of-apples-ipad-and-this-is-it-2010-1

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10443604-37.html

It's an entirely different story then we are getting from the Apple-holics. If I were to believe what the Apple fanatics are saying, we'd think the iPad is going to cure tooth decay. It is a nifty little device and someday it might have some uses for photographers. But it seems that day isn't here, yet.

And Jono -- it seems I am not the only one that thinks Apple product is overpriced:

... the price for the full-fledged 3G 64G iPad version ($829), which is way too expensive for a big mobile device (especially with the $30/month AT&T contract). ... it's not today's $499 price that's important--$499 is still too expensive for what the iPad is.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>$499 is still too expensive for what the iPad is

Depends. If the competition presents an equally well designed tool at lower price, then yes.

stephengilbert

This is like the mirror image of a Leica thread: rather than fanboys getting bent out of shape when someone is critical of their "tool," we have people getting bent out of shape because others are too optimistic about the iPad.

I don't think I need one, but it doesn't get me concerned that people want them and, God forbid, might even enjoy them. I look forward to Terry's reviews of the non-3G version, the 3g version, the camera version, and whatever comes next. :)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>This is like the mirror image of a Leica thread

Of course. But in that case all cameras take pictures, right. Can you enjoy reading on your couch a book in color with other devices of that type?

I don't own an iPhone (pay $100 per year on mobile phone :) and may skip the iPad for now.

PS: I looked at the first e-book readers in 1998/99 and it was clear the technology was not ready: Battery life and also only B&W.