The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

bensonga

Stephen Fry is somewhat known in the states: PBS broadcast "Jeeves and Wooster" (co-starring Hugh Laurie) years ago (it's still on YouTube), but I don't think many here are aware of his other personae. I just finished his book on his travels to the fifty states (in a London taxi). Too bad we can't see all his BBC work. (At least I can't; in may be on some cable channel I don't get.)

Steve
Loved the Jeeves and Wooster series.....this post prompted me to check Netflix for other movies where Stephen Fry appeared. I had no idea that he was in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Lots of shows on Netflix with Stephen Fry.....and now I've got to see the series "A Bit of Fry and Laurie"! :)

On the iPad topic.....I will eventually get an iPad if for only one reason....reading e-books. I've been enjoying e-books (Lexcycle Stanza and public domain books from Feedbooks) with my iTouch, but it will be so much better on the iPad.

Gary

jlm

Workshop Member
i'd like to hear from an ipadder who has read 100 pgs of their e-book at one sitting; that is where the kindle excels, that and a 3-4 day battery life

Terry

i'd like to hear from an ipadder who has read 100 pgs of their e-book at one sitting; that is where the kindle excels, that and a 3-4 day battery life
I completely agree. There is a reason they went to e-ink technology and it is very easy to read for long stretches on the Kindle. My problem is my eyes seem to now be able to out last my attention span and I never seem to read for long periods of time anymore.

Battery life doesn't bother me as much because I'm so trained to plug everything in before going to bed.

The downside to both the Kindle and iPad for flying is that you can't use them from door closed until 10,000 feet and when you are sitting on the runway 40th in line for takeoff at JFK that is exactly when you want to use it.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
The downside to both the Kindle and iPad for flying is that you can't use them from door closed until 10,000 feet and when you are sitting on the runway 40th in line for takeoff at JFK that is exactly when you want to use it.
I've heard this is where the new paper and ink tech really comes in handy. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, there is no backlighting and the memory is limited to only one book or magazine per device...and no 3G downloads, either. ;)

David

stephengilbert

Terry,

You're going to have to outsource the eBook testing. We need to know whether one can actually read a book on the thing. Maybe we'll have to wear special glasses for reading: :cool:

Steve

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
From Macrumors. Seems obvious to me Apple wants to avoid any technology that is on the bubble or not implemented very well in the market. My take on it and the next Iphone sounds like there real winner. Very interesting comment on Adobe

Steve Jobs held a town hall meeting with Apple employees late last week following the iPad launch. Wired reports on what was said at the meeting by Steve Jobs. Two of the biggest topics included Google and Adobe.

On Google, Jobs confirms the much-reported competition between the two companies.
On Google: We did not enter the search business, Jobs said. They entered the phone business. Make no mistake they want to kill the iPhone. We won’t let them, he says.

As for Adobe, Jobs said they are lazy and Jobs blames Adobe for a buggy implementation of Flash on the Mac as one of the reasons they won't support it.
Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy, he says. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it’s because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, he says. The world is moving to HTML5.

Those are the main points covered by Wired's article. We had received a more detailed report of the Apple meeting, but hadn't been able to corroborate it until now. Many of the details of the Wired report line up with our anonymous submission, so we believe it likely to be accurate. Some additional key points that we learned:

- Apple will deliver aggressive updates to iPhone that Android/Google won't be able to keep up with
- iPad is up there with the iPhone and Mac as the most important products Jobs has been a part of
- Regarding the Lala acquisition, Apple was interested in bringing those people into the iTunes team
- Next iPhone coming is an A+ update
- New Macs for 2010 are going to take Apple to the next level BRING IT ON
- Blu-Ray software is a mess, and Apple will wait until sales really start to take off before implementing it.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
It's Sunday morning, and I'm in bed with coffee and breakfast. I'm sitting here with my MBP even though I'm not working; it has about a 2.5 hour battery life browsing and reading. I'm not working. I'm not editing video or photos.

I'd love to have an iPad on my night table, sitting on a dock as a fancy alarm clock. When I want to browse or check something it's within arm's reach. It's not going to run out of battery until I'm done. It doesn't get hot, it's small enough to be comfortable, but big enough to read on.

Heck, I might even subscribe to the NYT...

I think Apple hit the nail squarely on the head with this one.

O

Oxide Blu

I'd love to have an iPad on my night table, sitting on a dock as a fancy alarm clock. When I want to browse or check something it's within arm's reach. It's not going to run out of battery until I'm done. It doesn't get hot, it's small enough to be comfortable, but big enough to read on.

All tablets, not just the iPad, have the same issue -- you have to always hold them. With a laptop the display is hinged to a supporting keyboard, pop it open, adjust the viewing angle, and read. Reading with a tablet in bed you will have to figure out some way to prop up your legs, shove a wad of linen behind the thing to get a viewing angle, hopefully the text is horizontal, and then don't move or your tablet slides to a diff position you can't read from. Same problem with using tablets on an airplane -- always have to be holding them. I think it is only an issue because we compare tablets to laptops and not magazines. Printed magazines have always had the same issue, you always have to hold them to read 'em.

Apple is a 3rd-party magnet -- someone will eventually design a support for iPad that makes it possible to read on the thing, hands free. It would be nice if Apple had designed a couple recesses in the frame that could be used to attach the iPad to some kind of support. Even just a 1/4-in tripod socket would do it -- that and a Joby tripod would let you prop up one leg in bed, wrap the tripod around your leg, and read away on your iPad.

Terry

Apple is a 3rd-party magnet -- someone will eventually design a support for iPad that makes it possible to read on the thing, hands free. It would be nice if Apple had designed a couple recesses in the frame that could be used to attach the iPad to some kind of support. Even just a 1/4-in tripod socket would do it -- that and a Joby tripod would let you prop up one leg in bed, wrap the tripod around your leg, and read away on your iPad.
They've already done it...with the black cover.

O

Oxide Blu

They've already done it...with the black cover.

I think the black cover will be good for hard surfaces, but for reading in bed I still like the 1/4-inch tripod socket and a Joby wrapped round one leg idea better. :D

The stand with a keyboard in front is interesting -- not by itself but for what it implies -- imagine lifting the lid of your laptop, sliding out the LCD display, and walking away with a light-weight, touchscreen tablet for movies, music, ebooks ... Now that would be something to get excited about!

ustein

Contributing Editor
The stand with a keyboard in front is interesting -- not by itself but for what it implies -- imagine lifting the lid of your laptop, sliding out the LCD display, and walking away with a light-weight, touchscreen tablet for movies, music, ebooks ... Now that would be something to get excited about!
I think it will eventually happen.

stephengilbert

"[F]or reading in bed I still like the 1/4-inch tripod socket and a Joby wrapped round one leg idea better."

Or perhaps you could hang it from the ceiling, or have a hat with a fitting that suspends it in front of your face. Of course, the hat wouldn't be appropriate for driving.

O

Oxide Blu

"[F]or reading in bed I still like the 1/4-inch tripod socket and a Joby wrapped round one leg idea better."

Or perhaps you could hang it from the ceiling, or have a hat with a fitting that suspends it in front of your face.
And run the risk of interfering with the propeller on top?!?

stephengilbert

"And run the risk of interfering with the propeller on top?!?"

I'm sure that could be worked around. Besides, I have more than one hat.

stephengilbert

Jono,

The Hatdapter (c) would only be used when walking around or sitting upright; in bed one would use the ceiling mounted Skyhook (c). Of course, you could also install a Skyhook (c) over your favorite reading chair.

In addition, our research department is working on an as yet unnamed device involving the use of a lighter than air inert gas (no danger of a Hindenberg event) which would make the iPad weightless. If your eyes and battery would allow, you could read War and Peace with nary a cramp!

Steve