The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

stephengilbert

Uwe,

I'll be interested in your "test." Having used a Kindle for while, I wonder whether the iPad's backlit screen will be as enjoyable a "page." I hope it is.

Steve

Terry

I ordered a wifi version and will swap it out with another family member or sell it when the 3Gs are released. 16GB wifi/32GB 3G

ustein

Contributing Editor
Uwe,

I'll be interested in your "test." Having used a Kindle for while, I wonder whether the iPad's backlit screen will be as enjoyable a "page." I hope it is.

Steve
For my books any reader without color does not make any sense. Means I don't compare to kindle. Different to read a novel or a book on photography.

stephengilbert

Uwe,

I think you're right that the reader market is different depending on what you intend to read. I use my Kindle for reading books while traveling. No color, no illustrations at all. Clearly, something like the iPad would be the choice for most magazines and for books with illustrations or photos. I wonder whether it would work for what I use my Kindle for. I'll have to visit the Apple store to see for myself.

Steve

Terry

Stephen I decided to try out my iPhone for reading to see if I could deal with it. I read for about 3 hours straight on my flight the other day and it was fine.....so I'm optimistic that the switch from Kindle to iPad won't b a problem. I do not enjoy the newspapers/magazines on the Kindle. I hope we get an iPhone app like Zino that shows magazine content in its actual print form and you turn the pages and zoom into what you want to read.

Kai Birkigt

I will not buy one. Jamie said it perfectly in post # 173: without Flash :wtf: the iPad is in my opinion a no go for photographers.

I was btw hoping for an iPad like a Macbook Air without cover and keyboard but with Multitouch technology – in other words a multitouch tablet computer. What we got is another gadget for to buy stuff in the next book, newspaper and app iStore departments.

My 0.02 $

Kai

Terry

What any sensible gal would be doing....Playing with my iPad. I will be on the east coast so I have one lined up to arrive there. I still will most definitely end up with a 3G version a few weeks later.....so people here will probably have the opportunity to buy a very gently used version at the end of April.

jonoslack

What any sensible gal would be doing....Playing with my iPad. I will be on the east coast so I have one lined up to arrive there. I still will most definitely end up with a 3G version a few weeks later.....so people here will probably have the opportunity to buy a very gently used version at the end of April.
:mad:
We have to wait until the end of April over here, and then we still don't get 'ibooks'
grumble grumble.

monza

Thanks for the link to the camera connector Terry.

Jono, is there any further word on ibooks in other countries or is that still going to be revealed at launch?

Diane B

Of course--that's what any sensible gal would be doing :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Just read an interesting article on Ipad in Newsweek--thought others might find it interesting.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/235565/page/1

Last edited:
D

DougDolde

I don't know.

Is there an app for that?

Do you get a free toll free number with Skype?

Does it turn your iPod/iPad into a virtual WIFI phone?

Do you get voicemail and all the other features with Skype?

Line2 also works on the iPhone to let you use 3G or WIFI instead of cell minutes.