The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

stephengilbert

Not buying an iPad based on these two articles makes no more sense than buying one based on the various raves that have been linked above.

Henry Blodgett? Come on.

Diane B

Not buying an iPad based on these two articles makes no more sense than buying one based on the various raves that have been linked above.

Henry Blodgett? Come on.
I read both of those and thought the same---Blodgett's just seemed whiny and, though I have read that wifi is a problem being reported by some on the Apple forums, there seem to be a lot more people that aren't having issues. Its like me with cell--no matter what carrier, we have spotty reception inside our house though I can almost see one tower. And then he has 'issues' with other charges. If we want newspapers or their online version, then someone is going to have to pay--journalists, web builders, on and on. I don't think the current 'free' model will continue to workl. I listened to a German publishing CEO tonight on Charlie Rose who bought an Ipad this weekend--very enthusiastic and sees it the beginning of an era where publishing will change--and, if I remember correctly, he sees a partly free, partly paid model.

The other 'reviewer' seemed to run into the same thing most everyone does when they buy some new electronic item---spending more than they expected (more memory, accessories, warranty, etc.). That's totally up to you--seems you can choose to suit yourself.

I'm not buying one right now but I'm expecting to buy later. Neither argument above affected that decision :D I've read a lot of rave reviews--and the ones that push me more in the direction of the Ipad are those that stress the way reading is changed.

ustein

Contributing Editor
In essence: The iPad changes the reading experience.

Next week I will be 3 days at NAB (huge video conference in Las Vegas) and I will only take the iPad. Remember my business is nearly all internet based so I need to be well connected. This will be a good test. I take my T2i + one lens and a mobile wifi router using my aircard.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
In essence: The iPad changes the reading experience.

Next week I will be 3 days at NAB (huge video conference in Las Vegas) and I will only take the iPad. Remember my business is nearly all internet based so I need to be well connected. This will be a good test. I take my T2i + one lens and a mobile wifi router using my aircard.
Looking forward to hear how that all works for you -- I remain skeptical that the iPad can perform as an all-in-one solution for me...

stephengilbert

"The iPad changes the reading experience?" I think if I believed that, I'd buy one, but I'm doubtful. It certainly would be better than a Kindle for magazines or books with color illustrations, but I question whether it would be the choice for reading a novel.

I opened the book app on an iPad at my local brightly lit Apple store, and found it problematic. It's interesting that many here have recommended that buyers not choose the glossy screen on a laptop for viewing photos, yet there's been little mention of the problem such a screen presents to readers. I found myself moving the iPad to minimize the reflections. And from what I've read, you wouldn't want to use it in direct sunlight in any case to avoid overheating. (http://nexgadget.com/2010/04/06/looks-like-the-ipad-can-overheat-if-youre-not-careful/)

Of course, I have to admit my reaction to the scary, "It overheats if you read in the sun on a hot beach" stories is that I wouldn't read in the sun on a hot beach. Find an umbrella or tree! But I'd still like to try one in places where I am likely to read before purchasing one.

Terry

Reading on the iPad vs. the Kindle a few observations.
I like to read in bed. With the Kindle I really had to work hard at what lighting I would have in the bedroom and how to make it pleasing to read by without strain but not to make the room too bright. iPad eliminates that. Same issue on an airplane. Only way to read is to turn on the overhead light which again can be annoying.
I bought a Photoshop/Lightroom book last year for the Kindle because I wanted to read some stuff, didn't want to carry a big tome and have an electronic index. I knew the illustrations would be problematic but that wasn't my primary concern. When I got the iPad I loaded the Kindle App and unarchived some books. Lo and behold this book now has all of the color examples and looks fantastic on the iPad. If you think about reference type books with color illustrations (like cooking) the iPad will be a much nicer viewing experience.

The annoying part of both is the time when you want to read (sitting on the runway or right after takeoff/before landing) both devices need to be turned off.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I remain skeptical that the iPad can perform as an all-in-one solution for me...
All in one, no way. This is when I go to a conference and shooting is just on the back burner. The moment I want to work on images I need my MacBook Pro.

>but I question whether it would be the choice for reading a novel.

I have no idea. I always mean technical books (that is my focus). But there is one nice aspect about the iPad. When I read a book the light is nearly always off towards my books. With the iPad I don't need a light. Also I can google terms all the time.

>"It overheats if you read in the sun on a hot beach" stories is that I wouldn't read in the sun on a hot beach.

By the way reading in bright light is not great with the iPad (especially because of the glossy screen).

Last edited:

jonoslack

I like reading on hot beaches!
Actually, pretty much the only time I read is either:
a) in bed with low lighting, where the electronic ink is poor
b) on a beach, where the Kindle would, I guess, be better

My ipad says 'restore in progress' - can't wait to get my hands on it!

Terry

The best news in the iPad/Kindle debate is both companies got it right.

Apple - allowing Kindle reader on the iPad brings in new hardware buyers (that have Kindle with content) and gets past the weaker content of the iBook Store

Amazon - recognizing that they can be a content provider of choice across multiple devices (synched) and being content right now at being a content provider.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Actually, pretty much the only time I read is either:
a) in bed with low lighting, where the electronic ink is poor
b) on a beach, where the Kindle would, I guess, be better

My ipad says 'restore in progress' - can't wait to get my hands on it!
Hmmm we need to talk bud, I like viewing on Hot beaches. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

I could not resist sorry ladies

monza

A couple of points about the first link: I had the same problem with Netflix, but it wasn't wifi, as the ABC streaming app has worked great every time I used it.

I tend to agree with his points about magazines/newspapers on the iPad.

The problem with reading on hot beaches (besides Guy's point :) ) is that *I'm* the one that overheats. Even on the pink sand beaches of Bermuda with a cool Atlantic breeze, it still gets a bit toasty, and the pages of the book become blown highlights. :)

Terry

I tend to agree with his points about magazines/newspapers on the iPad.
Funny,
I have exactly the opposite desire on content. It seems like he wants everything in an RRS type of feed and I want it to mimic the medium in some important ways. For instance, if I am going to buy a Vogue magazine or something similar on the newstand it isn't all about the editorial content. To me the advertising is an important part. I want to see what the designers etc are showing for the season. So an experience like Zinio where you replicate the experience is important to me.

I don't use RRS feeds right now because I like the visual aspect of layout and design which get lost.

It will be interesting to see how content develops.

As to Henry's I want one price for everyone and everything, I can see where he is coming from but I also thing AT&T's pricing and plan for the iPhone is incredibly fair and for those that mainly use Wifi and need sporadic 3G (when traveling) it will work out brilliantly to start and stop service. If you try and replace the 3G component with MiFi from Verizon or Sprint (MiFi or 4G if lucky) the cost is double $60/month and with a 5gb limit - (1.2 HD movies will use it all up - 4G has no limit but is very limited in availability).

cam

and i'm still waiting for somebody who reads in bathtubs... anybody?

i don't honestly believe that you can read legibly through that waterproof jacket (though i would love to be proved wrong).

Lars

Makes me wonder how much local conditions play into Apple's design decisions. While we in northern Europe like to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible when it's sunny, in Cupertino it's more the opposite - the sun is too strong to be enjoyed casually for extended periods. I'm sure this played into Apple's decision to make an indoors device.