The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

Terry

First aiport test. Did not take iPad out of bag at security and it went through just fine. Yeah! One flying hassle eliminated!

I did fly with it last week but at that time I just assumed that it was counted as a laptop and put it in it's own bin. Earlier in the week I read that the TSA was instructing screeners that iPads could stay in bags.

bradhusick

My brother flew this week at PHL (Philadelphia) and the screener insisted that he remove the ipad from the bag. My silly brother then told him what the TSA regulations say and they hassled him and delayed him.

Good old TSA - Security Theater each and every day.

KETCH ROSSI

Ha ha, miss you guys, always good stuff here..

The iPad will definitely do lots of good to my new work flow with the Red Epic cameras as a wireless and client Monitor via WiFi and a special Proxy module.

Photography will never be the same, again, he he, iPad, yet an other amazing tool to our arsenal.

since someone said IPAD... here is a good size reference:

RED is increasing the workflow flexibility on Epic and Scarlet with Proxy Modules… the first of which is an H.264 Module.

This module encodes a 1080P stream (high quality scale from full frame) and records to Compact Flash in a rear module. The module also offers secure password protected streaming over dedicated WiFi and ethernet to iPhones, iPads, laptops as well as broadcast to the internet.

This will be beneficial for on set viewing, instant dailies, offline editing, easy file transfer to remote locations, dailies review and collaboration services with such companies as Pix, or live broadcasting for realtime media distribution.

The modules will also support full metadata and XML for editorial.
Jim

ustein

Contributing Editor
Ha ha, miss you guys, always good stuff here..

The iPad will definitely do lots of good to my new work flow with the Red Epic cameras as a wireless and client Monitor via WiFi and a special Proxy module.

Photography will never be the same, again, he he, iPad, yet an other amazing tool to our arsenal.
Want this for HDSLRs badly: HDMI to Wifi.

Terry

Installed Line 2 (VOIP App) and called Guy on the phone. Bingo I now have an iPadphone. Wooohoooo.

I'm still on the free trial period for the product. Anyone used a different app?

jlm

Workshop Member
show us a pic holding pad-to-ear, he, he

will i be able to access my already purchased amazon kindle books directly onto the pad via the kondle app?

Terry

show us a pic holding pad-to-ear, he, he

will i be able to access my already purchased amazon kindle books directly onto the pad via the kondle app?
Good news it has speakerphone/headphone capability.

Kindle on iPad better than Kindle on Kindle. I have a Photoshop book that miraculously now has color illustrations. A whole lot easier than carrying a multi hundred page reference book.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Installed Line 2 (VOIP App) and called Guy on the phone.

What would be the advantage over Skype?

Terry

>Installed Line 2 (VOIP App) and called Guy on the phone.

What would be the advantage over Skype?
Don't know that there is much of an advantage/disadvantage I'm using the free trial. I don't have Skype right now to compare the two services.

KETCH ROSSI

Skype with the new OS 4. will allow to remain in open in the BG in Multi Tasking, so that it operates just as it does on your computer, this will work the same on both iPhone and iPad.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Installed Line 2 (VOIP App) and called Guy on the phone. Bingo I now have an iPadphone. Wooohoooo.

I'm still on the free trial period for the product. Anyone used a different app?
It was actually pretty good reception, she sounded better using the speaker on the Ipad than the headset which had some echo. Very cool

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

I use acrobits softphone and it works well with both commercial VoIP SIP providers (sipgate/callcentric/gizmo5 etc) and also as a phone off my own internal home & development SIP servers. (my day job is designing contact center solutions for fortune 100 companies - if you've called most of the banks and airlines for self or assisted service then you're probably hitting our software).

I'm waiting for someone like Counterpath, Aastra or Polycomm to produce something ...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Btw, iPad with VoIP makes a pretty decent hands free phone. I haven't tried it with a handsfree Bluetooth yet but it should work. iPad looks pretty stupid as a handset though :p

sagar

I am seriously considering ipad if I can edit raw/jpg on it. Any good photo editors available for ipad?

Wish Apple had released ipad version of aperture :D

kevinparis

Sagar - doubt if you will see RAW editing on the iPad in the near future - it just doesn't have the processing power or the memory or indeed the storage - its a single core 1GHz processor running off batteries with maybe 512M of RAM. I find editing RAW on a Macbook Air (1.6 ghz twin core processor with 2G of RAM) pretty frustrating and marginal.

I am sure there will be apps for the iPad that will do jpeg editing at a iphoto sort of level.... eg global changes to a picture quickly.

the iPad is not a laptop - its not even really a personal computer as such - its a device primarily for consuming digital media not creating it.

K

Terry

I posted above that the app Photogene does iPhoto like editing. I need to do more work with it to see how good it is, I thing it is easy to overcook the files but I wasn't using full jpegs just reduced size ones in my photo library synched with iPad. So, I need to download some full sized file and play around. Considering the price, it is already a bargain.

D

DougDolde

Line2 will also work on an iPhone as a second line. That way you can talk without using cell minutes if you are in a WiFi area. In fact you can install it on both the iPad and iPhone with the same phone number.

One feature of Line2 I really like is if someone leaves a voicemail (likely if your Line2 app isn't running), it sends you an email with an mp3 of the message attached.

Lars

I use Skype IM and talk a lot professionally as well as socially, and I like the level of transparency and integration that brings to a mobile device. N900 rather than iPad, but conceptually there are little differences, and the same level of integration is to be expected from Skype on iPhone OS if it isn't already there. As an added bonus Skype is well encrypted (AES and 256-bit with 1536 to 2048 key size) so the likelihood of someone listening in is remote (some countries have actually tried to ban Skype for national security reasons).

ustein

Contributing Editor
Line2 will also work on an iPhone as a second line. That way you can talk without using cell minutes if you are in a WiFi area. In fact you can install it on both the iPad and iPhone with the same phone number.

One feature of Line2 I really like is if someone leaves a voicemail (likely if your Line2 app isn't running), it sends you an email with an mp3 of the message attached.
Ok, I have no iPhone. I use Skype on my Mac for years and like it. Seems to work fine on the iPad (outgoing).