The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Maybe so but in the end Apple will sell millions of them anyway. Was in the Apple store yesterday for about a hour and just the Ipad section was filed to the brim with people buying and interesting a lot of older folks. Which makes a lot of sense.

Have to say for someone not that interested in it to begin with it is a viable product for a lot of people.

jonoslack

The real winner here is Gizmodo.
As Guy says - if the product is good, then the winner is Apple (as long as they don't do anything nasty).

As far as the ipad is concerned, when I went into our local Apple store with mine, the staff were buzzing around like flies, playing with it and taking pictures of each other with it (manager included). (They hadn't seen one before).

I haven't shown it to anyone who isn't impressed.

Diane B

I've been to our local Best Buy twice for long plays with the Ipads. They have 4 tethered and there has always been at least one free--but I go at very off hours. I asked the salesperson what they had in stock--they have had 16 and 32's returned so have them in stock---plus they had 64s left after the first Saturday. I imagine that all their 3Gs have been spoken for by the time they come in.

I'm playing with the idea of buying a wifi version since that's how it will be used most of the time and since we need new phones (and are up for contract renewal) buying something like a Palm Pre (which are at VERY good prices right now with Verizon) and using it as my mobile wifi hotspot for those times I may want to use it in non-wifi circumstances.

Diane

jonoslack

Hi there
the very start of it gets my hackles up:
Writing it off for work and for typing on is just bizarre. I touch type at something like 80 wpm, so you'd think that for me it really would suck. I reckon that after about an hour I was up to 40wpm, and full speed would clearly only take a week or so.

It's a positive boon in meetings, where having a laptop is kind of in-your-face, but an ipad almost flat on the desk is wonderful, and you can make quick notes -whatever.

I can't see how you can define a thing as 'thoughtful' when it rushes in as dismissively as that from the very start.

Oh well!

monza

I downloaded a simple but useful app called Penultimate, it's great for jotting down notes in meetings. I'm sure there are others. This is very nice for being unobtrusive, other than the 'conversation piece' factor, it's like writing on a legal pad, which is what I used to do in meetings.

Terry

I downloaded a simple but useful app called Penultimate, it's great for jotting down notes in meetings. I'm sure there are others. This is very nice for being unobtrusive, other than the 'conversation piece' factor, it's like writing on a legal pad, which is what I used to do in meetings.
I also got Penultimate and sort of like it. Three things I would like even better

1. Somehow to write smaller. If you have any hints :p
2. The ability to title the books on the front Cover and have a list of books so that you don't have to scroll through books whose covers all look the same to get to the one you want (by opening the cover)
3. The ability to call up the keyboard and type when you want to add that to a book.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I agree with Jono, as long as you don't need a lot of computing power I see some usefulness at work. In my engineering business, presentations , note taking, web access, vendor information but not CAD work or anything taxing .... I'll find out its limitations soon. In photography, portfolio presentations, remote website access, maybe wireless camera interfacing, tethering at some point?....
The magazine, newspaper, textbook industries should be running as fast as they can to this. The ability to use standard photography, articles and videos in a interactive way is ground breaking. No distribution costs, no printing costs, better interactive experience, ad possibilities, seemingly endless.....here we go.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm finding mine is great for use as my internal product documentation tablet (> 5GB pdfs) plus really handy for ad hoc email use as it syncs with our exchange server. I'd really like to use it to access online training material and the Safari online bookshelf that I have access too as well but this where the flash petulance at Apple gets in the way. :thumbdown::deadhorse:

jonoslack

Yes, That is a problem! I have talked to several people that say thats a reason they do not consider an ipad.
Well - if Apple stick to their guns, and also sell a lot of iPads, then I'd guess that most web developers will start using html5 instead anyway. It's already begun to happen.

I tend to use omnifocus in meetings (it's still only an iphone app, but the ipad app is coming soon). it's quick and easy, organises well, and synchronises seamlessly with all our macs and phones into the bargain.

bradhusick

I just took it on a week long trip instead of my laptop. I didn't need to do document processing, so it was perfect! I love watching movies on it, love the long battery life, love the instant-on-instant-off, love the auto-rotation based on what's best for the particular app, love the case, love the look on the flight attendants' faces while they're collecting the rented Digiplayers from the other passengers long before I have to turn off my ipad!

Diane B

I have been considering what to buy--had figured I would buy a 3G, but thanks to Terry's tip, I found that we could buy a Palm Pre Plus to use as mobile hotspot to use anywhere on the Verizon (US) network--AND got these smartphones for a free upgrade--and then I get the second one free next month (as my upgrade falls within the buy one/get 2 period) since its buy one get second free. Granted I have to carry 2 devices, but we do anyhow--and I can use Touch or Ipad (when I get one) plus laptop---whatever. The plan for the Palm Pre for both of us is the same as what we were paying with unlimited wifi (data) so its a great deal for us. This way I don't have to get involved with a second carrier, don't have to pay any more---and can buy the wifi version.

Terry

Someone else on this thread gets the credit for figuring out that Verizon was the carrier of choice for the Pre because the data was thrown in (I will go back and find the post).

It is a VERY compelling option if you don't have an iPhone on AT&T. One less thing to carry and charge versus the mifi card or the Sprint 4G voyager?.

New we just need to get Diane an iPad. :p

Diane B

They only have returned wifi Ipads at my local BB LOL. I'm going to wait for a bit. I've played with it enough to know I'll really like it. Love my Touch but its small screen is limiting for some things---but its still very easy to carry for day to day use (I don't think I'll use Palm for same things--UNLESS there's an app for an onscreen keyboard LOL--and for all the other things I check at last once a day with apps).

Terry

Robert,
I was pretty sure it was you but I needed to run out the door and couldn't search the thread.

The only thing that stopped me from that deal was AT&T pricing. $30/month unlimited is very well priced compared to the $60 5gb limits on everything but Sprint 4G and the Palm Pre (with Verizon deal).