The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

M

meilicke

Re: IPad Discussions Simple Question - No Answer So Far??

I'd like to go back to this. I'm getting closer to buying (waiting for youall to get your 3Gs this weekend or next) and have some more questions. Some of them, I know, may be answered in the future with more apps. I've read elsewhere about the limitations of trying to use the Ipad for a portfolio--not being able to order, not being able to set slideshow time (?), etc. Has anyone set up their portfolio to their satisfaction? There is a post above here with someone having problems--but I don't think anyone has brought this up (unless I missed it) since then except this post by Terry. I will say the photo book is very attractive to me though I know THAT isn't possible yet, but a portfolio ordered as one wants, etc., is at this point.

The uploading/downloading, RAW, etc. issue seems to be resolved for the most part. Now--I'd like to see if anyone has worked out the portfolio issue at this point.

I don't expect the Ipad to be used only for photographic reasons--I know all the things I use my Touch for and know the Ipad will do everything better--and more. But--the photographic end is still one reason I want the Ipad, so---trying to learn more before hitting the button.

Diane
You could create a photo book on your computer, print as a PDF, and then view that on the iPad using a PDF app. Goodreader is one of the best, and inexpensive ($0.99 US).

M

meilicke

So to all of you who bought an iPad...any regrets?
None. I am buying a 3G model today.

I do find it somewhat tough to find that "perfect solution" to a given problem, but I chalk that up to the platform being so new. For example, finding an app that allows a really good notebook experience is tough (for me). I think in a few months things will settle down.

Scott

shadzee

Getting ready to go and stand in line ;-)

Thanks everyone for all your input. In the last few days it became clear (for me), I have to get one with the largest memory. All due to your recent discussions regarding the RAW file capabilities of the device.

So, I hope they don't sell out the 64G+3G model before my turn in line ;-)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>All due to your recent discussions regarding the RAW file capabilities of the device.

As I understand it only pulls off the embedded JPEG from the RAW. Not too bad either and has the advantage that we do not need to wait for apple to support new cameras.

MoJo

Registred Users
"You could create a photo book on your computer, print as a PDF, and then view that on the iPad using a PDF app. Goodreader is one of the best, and inexpensive ($0.99 US)."

yes, i have done that, trouble is they don't look too hot.... you can't get 2 page spreads to show up properly, formatting is problematic, etc.

after days of trying, i still can't consistently sort photos the way i want, it might work once, then once i make a change or 2, it is all over. a serious bug in the design, maybe it will be fixed in the future.

apps are the way to go for now to create photo books.......or funky pdf's,

Diane B

You have more or less said what I've been thinking. I will want 2page Blurb style books--but expect that will come down the road with apps.

Terry

Well something really interesting....go to the Blurb site on your iPad and use their book preview :D:D....I think this is the beginning of what you want.

I think it is only a matter of time.

I am taking a book class a Stanford and our guest teacher for the evening on Wednesday was Chad Jennings, one of the founding employees of Blurb. We were discussing people liking to buy tactile art books but good previews or the giving out a PDF apparently (even though you've then already got the images) sells A LOT more books.

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
Well something really interesting....go to the Blurb site on your iPad and use their book preview :D:D....I think this is the beginning of what you want.

I think it is only a matter of time.

I am taking a book class a Stanford and our guest teacher for the evening on Wednesday was Chad Jennings, on of the founding employees of Blurb. and we were discussing people liking to buy tactile art books but good previews or the giving out a PDF apparently (even though you've got the images) sells more books.
Terry, your findings are so helpful. The blurb iPad version is nice!

Terry

So far the 3G version seems to be sipping power and not gulping it down. My one worry between the Wifi and 3G version was battery life and whether it would be as shockingly extraordinary as the wifi version. I've had it on since 10am. Standby for most of the day but about 20 synchs as I was adding content and about an hour and a half of non stop surfing and testing Apps and I'm still at 87%. to contrast I can't go a full day on my iPhone without a recharge.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Yes, I'm most impressed with the battery life much better than my notebook. Thanks Terry for that blurb site.

stephengilbert

A friend of mine is thinking of buying something for his 99 year old dad to use for reading. I read that in addition to being able to increase the font size, you can reverse the text on an iPad, providing white text on a black background. Has anyone tried this? Any feedback on it would be appreciated.

Diane B

I didn't try it on the Ipad when I've had the chance to play with one but I would think it's available since it is on my Touch. It's in the settings/general/accessibility. It's white on black--or this forum is,for instance, white on gray.

I've considered it for my mother (94) but she has moderate macular degeneration and is able to use a software that magnifies everything from 1.5-32x on her PC and I don't think. we could increase the font nearly large enough for her on the Ipad at this point.

Terry

From the users manual:

Universal Access Features
Universal access features make iPad easy to use for people who have a vision impairment, are deaf or hard of hearing, or have a physical or learning disability. The accessibility features on iPad include:
Support for playback of closed-captioned content
VoiceOver screen reader
Full-screen zoom magnification
White on Black
Mono Audio

Zoom, White on Black, and Mono Audio work with all applications. VoiceOver works with the built-in iPad applications, and some third-party applications you can download from the App Store. Closed-captioning works with movies and podcasts that include it.
For more information about the iPad accessibility features, go to

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/accessibility.html

Terry

Terry did you get a consulting job for Apple and not tell anyone:)
No, just a lot of time on airplanes and hotel rooms over the past month or two (not to mention that I seem to travel on all the stormy days with lots of airport flight delays). So lots of time to play around with the different features. Since getting the iPad it is all I travel with. :D:D:eek:

Diane B

I know most here had the wifi version first so you've had a month of experience. I've read on other forums about problems with wifi. Today I read somewhere that there is a feeling that the wifi on the 3Gs is 'better' (but can't see why that would be unless they've tweaked something in the last month). Since I'm now thinking I'll go wifi only, I would be unhappy (at best LOL) if wifi wasn't consistent with no problems.

Since I'm guessing Terry, probably more than anyone else, has used wifi in a number of places, I guess my question is directed more at her---but anyone that's had issues--or not, please chime in.

Does it still work best with G routers? I know that's been a problem with some people with the Touch--particularly using G/N routers. I'm able to use my Touch for quite some distance from the house with my Touch--and all over a 2 story house with lots of walls (100+ years old). I'd like to be able to do the same with the Ipad.

Diane

D

DougDolde

I went to Phoenix today with the intent of buying one but the whole town is sold out of all 3G models. That includes about five Apple Stores and at least the two Best Buys I visited. Not really into buying anything except a 16GB model as they just get way too expensive.

But playing again with a store display model I am not really sure I even need one except as a cool toy. I carry a WIFI router in the car when I travel with a Sprint Aircard that I also use at home for internet. Plus an iPhone 3G that isn't on AT&T anymore, just has Line2 installed for a VoIP phone. It's much more car friendly than an iPad would be due to being one-hand holdable.

My prediction: When the new iPhone comes out in a month or two they will announce tethering to WIFI devices. Then you won't really need a 3G model assuming you have an iPhone.