The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

ustein

Contributing Editor
I really don't use it that much. But using it to show photos and videos to other people is a lot of fun and my main use of it. If I carry a camera I also have the iPad with me.

jonoslack

Well we're loving ours. iBooks is fab, and having all the Gutenberg press there and free is lovely.

Incidentally, if you're like me and like to have pretty book covers for these books, you can change the artwork in iTunes; however! To get it to show on your bookshelf on the ipad you need to uncheck iBooks, sync, then check iBooks and sync again.

All the best

Diane B

I have never used display connections with laptop, etc so I'm a bit challenged in knowing what to buy to use the new Netflix app (US) to view the available movies for streaming on the TV. I researched as much as possible but am getting differing ideas. If one uses the Ipad VGA dock connector adapter do you then need to also use a VGA cable in addition-that's how I understood it. So am I better off with Apple coomposite or component cable (which the Apple store says is compatible with Ipad)? In addition I can't figure out the difference between composite and component cables LOL

I understand I can't mirror the Ipad just watch movies and video, Netflix upgraded their app to allow this but I read on one of the Appke forums that using the iPad VGA adapter you might only see perhaps a 1/4 if screen sized 26" or so and read on another forum that the poster was happy enough watching on a 54" screen. So-----i'm totally confused now.

ustein

Contributing Editor
1. Try first whether you have fun using Netflix online. I think I have a fast network but sometimes have delays. I use Netflix a lot otherwise (we have no TV subscription and only Netflix)

2. I think if you use Composite you just get SD (not HD) resolution

3. Best would be a HDMI connection but did not find one so far.

Diane B

Thanks Uwe. We have had Netflix for a quite long time and have excellent overnight service when we take advantage of it. I think I will just wait and see how things develop with movies and video. If I want to watch some of my obscure movies that DAvid might just not love that much and they are available streaming I'll just watch them on Ipad myself.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>available streaming I'll just watch them on Ipad myself.

Perfect. Also good for previews.

I also forgot that the VGA connector does not transfer the sound.

shadzee

I believe Netflix online is only SD anyways. Another option is to run Netflix through Wii or xBox if you have one.

Either way, I have also disconnected my cable, and use Netflix and off-the-air TV. If you're not into sports, you don't need cable anymore ;-)

Diane B

>you don't need cable anymore ;-)

I need cable: for Internet :)
Me too. I don't want DSL and other choices aren't great.

Don't have either mentioned, didn't replace Tivo which also handles streaming. I'll stick with DVDs for the most part for the time being and my own strange movie choices that no one else really cares about-if they are streaming in Ipad.

Diane B

>available streaming I'll just watch them on Ipad myself.

Perfect. Also good for previews.

I also forgot that the VGA connector does not transfer the sound.
Curious how people are watching Netflix with it. Do you attach a VGA cable to it?

jonoslack

Terry

Interesting app ? iPad as a thin client for Windoze.

Wonder how many iPad users have a Windows computer though.

http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/subfeature.asp?contentID=2300386
This would be very important in the corporate environment. If I had any hope of ever having an iPad instead of a laptop for my work needs it would need something like citrix to get into the corporate network. Right now i just travel with my blackberry but at times it can be very challenging when on the road needing to do a conference call that will utilize PowerPoint or word docs. For security reasons, I can't simply email the attachments to my personal email.

D

DougDolde

First God created........

6:59 pm: Walt asks if Apple knew it would build a tablet before it built the iPhone.

Jobs: “I’ll tell you a secret. It began with the tablet. Jobs first charged his staff with developing a tablet, but after seeing their first efforts decided the way to go was a phone. “My God, I said, this would make a great phone … so we shelved the tablet and built the iPhone.

Read the rest at

http://d8.allthingsd.com/20100601/steve-jobs-session/

Last edited:

simonclivehughes

Well, I've joined the brethren, picked up a 64GB WiFi iPad on the weekend. I hadn't been overly interested in it until I saw that the iWork suite was available and went through the videos of them, and it finally made sense to go for it as I do a fair bit of writing and presenting. I also bought the keyboard dock, although I'm finding using the on-screen keyboard, especially in landscape, quite usable.

I jailbroke it (Spirit) so I can have SBSettings and Backgrounder etc, but I have to say I'm looking forward to OS4 to see the improvements, especially on the faster processor (I currently have an iPhone 3G). It also sports a full Invisible Shield, as do all of my cameras, iPhone etc.

I've got a camera kit on order but I'm really not sure it'll get too much use, although I do like using the iPad as a photo viewer and have my full iPhoto library on it. I'm pretty firmly entrenched in my CS4 PP routine, so other than fooling around with some of the iPad apps like Photogene, it doesn't really make sense to me for image manipulation.

I can see though that the apps are only going to get better and better so it should be an exciting time ahead!

Ciao,

stephengilbert

Here's an interesting story: AT&T has announced an end to its unlimited 3G data plans. http://www.theatlantic.com/business...smartphone-users-bad-news-for-the-ipad/57597/

People who intended to rely on 3G access for their iPads are going to be seriously pissed off about this. And I think the timing of this announcement gives them the right to be. "Buy our new device and you'll be able to get these great month to month data plans, no contract required, etc."

Well for the first month or two, anyway.

stephengilbert

"If youve already bought a 3G plan with unlimited you are grandfathered."

As long as you keep it in effect. One of the attractions of the original deal was that you could activate the 3G plan whenever you want, for a month or two, and then stop. Now, if you stop, grandfather dies.

Terry

"If youve already bought a 3G plan with unlimited you are grandfathered."

As long as you keep it in effect. One of the attractions of the original deal was that you could activate the 3G plan whenever you want, for a month or two, and then stop. Now, if you stop, grandfather dies.
Agree, I was planning on always keeping mine. Chances are if you are a casual user and aren't going to always keep the data going then you probably won't go over the limit. In my first month with a ton of travel and a ton of use it doesn't seem as though I went over the 2GB that would be alotted.

Actually, on the phone side everyone I know would be able to reduce their rates under the new plans.

There is one big unknown. With Skype, video conference, pandora and multitasking what will happen to useage rates?

Finally out in the wild there are a ton of AT&T hotspots that would all be free (how far can you walk without seeing a starbucks?)